SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : wanted to know what people thought about these books

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
kathleen1

Re: wanted to know what people thought about these books

Anything by T Austin Sparks. There is a web site with many of his books and articles on there: [url=http://www.austin-sparks.net/]T Austin Sparks[/url]
These two would be my suggested reading:
[url=http://www.austin-sparks.net/english/books/union_with_christ.html]Union With Christ-T Austin Sparks[/url]

[url=http://www.austin-sparks.net/english/books/school_of_christ_the.html]The School of Christ-T Austin Sparks[/url]

Incidentally, you can purchase the book "The School of Christ for $2.00 at David Wilkerson's website: [url=http://www.wilkersonpublications.com/School-of-Christ-P14C2.aspx]School of Christ on World Challenge Bookstore[/url]

You can also request a free copy of David Wilkerson's Book. [url=http://www.teenchallenge.com/guestbook]The Cross and the Switchblade[/url]

2009/12/12 11:06Profile

Re:

thank you kathleen

2009/12/12 20:19
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: wanted to know what people thought about these books

Having read a few of those books I have to say you have a great list going. The Pursuit of God is one of the Greatest books ever written as far as I am concerned. I can't wait to read the Wicket Gate by Spurgeon. I need to get my hands on a copy for sure.

There are two others not as commonly known that Have been almost, if not, equal to "Pursuit" in my Opinion.

1.) The High Cost of Holy Living - Dwight Hervey Small

2.) Apostolic Foundations - Aurthur Katz.

The only reason I read this book was because of this website. I thank God regularly that sermonindex made me aware of the ministry of Art.

2009/12/14 22:42Profile

Re:

thank you brother for your recommendations , what exactly does tozer speak about in pursuit of God, all i have heard is that it is one of his or his best writing.

2009/12/15 1:25
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

This is a brief quote from Tozer's "Pursuit" from the first chapter that perhaps embodies the aim of the book:"Hymnody is sweet with the longing after God, the God whom, while the singer seeks, he knows he has already found. "His track I see and I'll pursue," sang our fathers only a short generation ago, but that song is heard no more in the great congregation. How tragic that we in this dark day have had our seeking done for us by our teachers. Everything is made to center upon the initial act of "accepting" Christ (a term, incidentally, which is not found in the Bible) and we are not expected thereafter to crave any further revelation of God to our souls. We have been snared in the coils of a spurious logic which insists that if we have found Him, we need no more seek Him. This is set before us as the last word in orthodoxy, and it is taken for granted that no Bible-taught Christian ever believed otherwise. Thus the whole testimony of the worshiping, seeking, singing church on that subject is crisply set aside. The experiential heart-theology of a grand army of fragrant saints is rejected in favor of a smug interpretation of Scripture which would certainly have sounded strange to an Augustine, a Rutherford or a Brainerd.

In the midst of this great chill there are some, I rejoice to acknowledge, who will not be content with shallow logic. They will admit the force of the argument, and then turn away with tears to hunt some lonely place and pray, "O God, show me Thy glory." They want to taste, to touch with their hearts, to see with their inner eyes the wonder that is God.
I want deliberately to encourage this mighty longing after God. The lack of it has brought us to our present low estate. The stiff and wooden quality about our religious lives is a result of our lack of holy desire. Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth. Acute desire must be present or there will be no manifestation of Christ to His people. He waits to be wanted. Too bad that with many of us He waits so long, so very long, in vain.— Pursuit of God

My two coppers:
All of you have contributed wonderful titles, and we know what Solomon said about "the writing of books"... there is no end, but just adding one name, A B Simpson and his books, perhaps not as deep as Tozer, but there is a beauty and expression of the knowlege of God in them. Another of Tozer's that is very practical, I believe is, "I Talk Back to the Devil".

Clint

2009/12/15 6:53Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

The Pursuit of God is about a decision. It will force you to be confronted by what it really means to be a follower of Christ. Tozer had a great concern that the gospel was on the downgrade.

2009/12/15 8:37Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I wrote this poem while reading the "Pursuit of God" I do not remember exactly where Tozer inspired it, but it had a lot to do with internal sins. God used Tozer to begin to uncover some of those dark groves in my heart. So I named the Poem after him.

Aiden W. T.

My heart a grove of trees so tall
So tightly packed in concentric rings
I long them felled each one and all
Fly thine axe with silver wings
Pine of pride, Ponderosa of pity
Pity me O’ Pity me…
Sawtooth Oak your acorns spread
A canopy of earthbound salient dread
Agile and quick thou art when I
Forget His axe and plead thee die…

The handle hewn from Cross-Tree heart
Hard as ages and agile in hands
Whom never time touched yet I pierced through
You have an axe whilst I held a hammer
Hew them down I plead thee my banner

Fell them, fell them, into the ponds
Of water released after piercing thee in thy bonds
Trunks and branches so knotty and old
Gnarled and twisted, linked and enthroned
Elbows embraced in moss bearded bone

The hatchet head sharpened from words in thy book
Hardened and smelted thy shape it took
Fashioned through love and weighted with grace
Bound to the haft with Yahweh’s embrace
The hand which wrote on Bab-el’s walls
Mightier than the mightiest kings halls
Grip thine handle with all thy strength
I invite the accelerating arc of thy sovereign arms length

Hew them down, Hew them down
Till miasmic leaves blanket this earthen floor
From which I shall behold thy cities pearly doors…

This forest O Father is kindling to thee
Scattered among the dirt and the scree
Fallen like lost sons of ancient Anak
Through whom ran Caleb and Joshua’s attack
They seemed so mighty and loomed so strong
But thou makest giants lie where they belong

By thy redemptive grace I now implore
With head rested on Beth-El’s rocky pillow core
All around fallen timber this timber is yours
Thy path now lies straight through what once was detour

The corner stone upon thee now, I rest my head and look ‘round
Pillars erect thee upon this foundation (was once a seed from humble a nation.)
Build me with thy house of promise
Work and fashion for good I plead
Though doubt looms after the fashion of Thomas
Knit together I will be, fashioned for loves urgent need.
Now part of a tabernacle so large,
A Jerusalem of stone thy own reward.
This wooden heart thou regenerate,
As the Fathers required wrath,
Upon Salem’s hills, the Son did abate!

2009/12/15 19:59Profile

Re:

Broclint, that is such a great and timeless quote. "we have found Him, we need no more seek Him," perhaps the great malady of our day..........Frank

2009/12/15 20:20

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy