SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT.

Revelation 13:10
"If anyone is destined for captivity, to captivity he goes; if anyone kills with the sword, with the sword he must be killed Here is the perseverance and the faith of the saints."
....read Revelation 13:9-11

Peter brought his sword down upon the slave of the High Priest as they captured Jesus. Jesus responded;
JOHN 18
10Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.)

11Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"
.........And later he says WHY.

36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

It would indeed be a very difficult thing to do, to trust the Lord in the face of violent aggression. None of us are geared that way. Personally, having served in combat in Viet Nam..[ purple heart and citations] I don't know if I could not retaliate, say if someone were to try to hurt my granddaughter.

I couldn't see Jesus, or any of the Apostles doing so. The thing about the flesh, our selfish nature, is it's obsessive compulsion to protect it's own, and never give an inch. I think that if we learn to die to ourselves, and our Adam nature on a daily basis;

"IF ANY MAN WOULD COME AFTER ME, LET HIM DENY HIMSELF, PICK UP HIS CROSS, AND FOLLOW ME DAILY."

Luke 9:23
Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."

I believe I'll be able to endure anything, IF I die today to myself, and follow Jesus. This will prepare me for that day of trial, when my faith is built up in maturity, and then whatever happens, I will stand like Stephen, and proclaim real love for my murderers, or my family.

We can never get there by our own nobility or bravery or integrity, but, Patience with love is a FRUIT, that like all fruits, must be grown.

The question itself is a somewhat fear provoking, like asking someone how they will endure martyrdom. As Peter's bravado faded into cowardly betrayal, when he denied knowing Jesus, who knows how one will respond?

The other factor, that pounds down the scale on our side is GRACE. there are thousands of testimonies [ even today ] about God's sovereign GRACE , just for His names sake, and just because of His love, toward those being tortured and murdered for Jesus's sake.

The key is that we must learn how to love TODAY, to find GRACE in a time of need tomorrow.

2009/12/9 15:29
barnesic

Orchard, Texas

Re: HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT.

If you are inclined to study more about God's grace BLBI.org has a very good multipart class on the subject. I took it months ago and have been blessed by it still.

His "grace upon grace" promise is tremendous comfort in the day.

Quote:
John 1 [br] 14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. 15 John testified about Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.'" 16 For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace. 17 For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him.

We know God's grace first in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.

I agree with you that our flesh gets in the way of experiencing the fullness of His grace upon grace. Rather, our pride gets in the way.

It is my great desire to shed prideful things and move to the spiritual fully. But, I am hopelessly stuck. I can say that God as accepted me as I am and He is pleased to hold me under His wing.

I enjoyed your post. Thank you.

2009/12/9 19:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy