SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Silo

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Can somebody give me a definition of this?

For example: This might be a bad illustration but here it goes:

What if your a Christian and you married another Christian woman? You both want to serve the Lord with all your heart. Now your married but you knew in your heart this is not the bride the Holy Spirit led you to. You married her out of your own free will.

I went against the Holy Spirit it seems (or maybe it's in my head) but you never had peace about marrying her. You just figured hey, were both Christian and both love God. What's the problem.

Was that Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

2009/12/8 11:39Profile
Leo_Grace

Re: Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

[Edit: strange,,,the whole top portion of this post got lopped off either while I was working on it, or when I clicked the "submit" button...it just disappeared :-o ]
once you are married and ONE in the sight of God, failing to love her as Christ loved the church is a sin - an act of disobedience to God's command.

[i]Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her[/i]

If she is a godly Christian woman, I don't see how you cannot fall in love with her, even after marriage, and thus make the "burden" lighter.

2009/12/8 12:28Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
Silo wrote:
What if your a Christian and you married another Christian woman? You both want to serve the Lord with all your heart. Now your married but you knew in your heart this is not the bride the Holy Spirit led you to. You married her out of your own free will.

I went against the Holy Spirit it seems (or maybe it's in my head) but you never had peace about marrying her. You just figured hey, were both Christian and both love God. What's the problem.

Was that Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

Brother,

Perhaps you could listen to how another man followed the Lord in marrying women he never truly picked, here are some links; you can read and/or listen and follow on:

Derek Prince: [url=http://www.dpmuk.org/Groups/81026/DPM/Derek_Prince/Lydia_and_Ruth/Lydia_and_Ruth.aspx]Lydia and Ruth[/url]

[url=http://dpmuk.org/Groups/81024/DPM/Derek_Prince/Marriage_and_Ministry/Marriage_and_Ministry.aspx]Marriage and Ministry[/url]

The Lord spoke to Derek Prince and told him to marry a woman he had only recently met and he did. They had a very fruitful marriage and ministry. After she died, the Lord told him to marry another woman and they also had a very fruitful marriage and life and ministry.

2009/12/8 14:55Profile
Axe1338

Miami, Fl

Re:

To simply answer your question, no it's not blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is todays equivalent of the unpardonable sin, which is unbelief.

2009/12/8 16:22Profile

I believe scripture clearly defines blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, in Mark's gospel, chapter 3:

20 Then the multitude came together again, so that they could not so much as eat bread. 21 But when His own people heard [about this,] they went out to lay hold of Him, for they said, "He is out of His mind." 22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, "He has Beelzebub," and, "By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons." 23 So He called them to [Himself] and said to them in parables: "How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 "If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 "And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 "And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 "No one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the
strong man. And then he will plunder his house. 28 " Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 [b]"but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation" -- [/b]30[b] [u]because they said, "He has an unclean spirit[/u]." [/b] (NKJV)

Note, this is a combination of Jesus speaking, and Mark's commentary. Still, it is the best 'definition' scripture gives, of the unforgivable sin.

This means, Silo, that whatever trouble you're in, you can repent, and receive the Lord's answer to the situation, and be blessed.

2009/12/8 16:48

Re:He leaves forever....

It seems clear in this passage in Mark:29 ..........."but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation" -- 30 because they said, "He has an unclean spirit." (NKJV

................It appears that blaspheming the Holy Spirit is a real confrontation attributing to the Devil the acts of the Holy Spirit, or acting in a way to defile the Lord Jesus, or betray Him in a manifest manner, as Judas did; [ thereby "SON OF PERDITION"... and better "to never have been born"...JESUS proclaiming Judas' fate.

When the Holy Spirit is rejected, there is no longer any conviction of sin, righteousness, or judgement. The conscience becomes seared; forever Godless. All faith in God is impossible, and all hope is gone.

This is NOT your case. Marriage is a covenant with God, and not imperative on how things go. You would not even be searching for answers here, if you have blasphemed Him.

"This means, Silo, that whatever trouble you're in, you can repent, and receive the Lord's answer to the situation, and be blessed."
Alive-to-God

I fully agree.

2009/12/8 18:04
barnesic

Orchard, Texas

Axe provided you with the best answer. In your post you answered your own question, too. Because you both believe that Jesus is not only your Savior, He is your Lord. That being said, it is not a burden to obey.

In your scenario it should be considered a blessing to be married to another brother/sister in Christ.

2009/12/8 20:25Profile
barnesic

Orchard, Texas

Is it possible to blaspheme the Holy Spirit today?

There are some who ably make the case that it cannot be done. Using the verses you have cited let me explain.

Jesus was speaking directly to the scribes who were accusing Him of casting out demons by the power of Satan. Jesus cast the demons out by the power of the Holy Spirit and we are convinced the Holy Spirit is God. The scribes committed the "unpardonable sin" by claiming the Holy Spirit was a demonic power.

The earlier question asked, "did the person commit an unpardonable sin by rejecting his marriage?" The simple answer in my view is, "No."

Because Jesus is no longer on earth casting out demons by the power of the Holy Spirit, then a person cannot claim the Holy Spirit is demonic. It's a literal view. Additionally, if a person "feels" in his heart that he has blasphemed, then, in my view, the Holy Spirit is working on him leading him to repentance. Amen.

2009/12/8 20:37Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Is it possible to blaspheme the Holy Spirit today?

Yes,
I believe it is possible to blaspheme the Holy Spirit today.

==================
From the Four Fold Gospel commentary in OLB:

But whosoever shall blaspheme against the Holy Spirit hath never forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin. Blasphemy against the Son may be a temporary sin, for the one who commits it may be subsequently convinced of his error by the testimony of the Holy Spirit and become a believer. {#1Ti 1:13} But blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is in its nature an eternal sin, for if one rejects the evidence given by the Holy Spirit and ascribes it to Satan, he rejects the only evidence upon which faith can be based; and without faith there is no forgiveness. The difference in the two sins is therefore in no way due to any difference in the Son and Spirit as to their degrees of sanctity or holiness. The punishment is naturally eternal because the sin is perpetual. The mention of the two worlds is "just an extended way of saying ‘never’" (Morison). Some assert that the Jews would not know what Jesus meant by the Holy Spirit, but the point is not so well taken. See #Ex 31:3 Nu 11:26 1Sa 10:10 19:20 Ps 139:7 143:10 Isa 48:16 Eze 11:24.

(TFG 302-304)
================
I was able to understand this explanation.

I've heard some people say that Christians can't blaspheme the Holy Spirit; right now I do not agree with that. But I know that I can very well be wrong!

God bless

2009/12/8 20:58Profile
barnesic

Orchard, Texas

Re:

For me it is sin and sin is in us all. I don't believe any of us are able under our own power to be free of it.

We are talking about an unpardonable sin; that is the sin which will not be forgiven. A reasonable case can be made that simple unbelief is the unpardonable sin. Many of the great commentaries side with you on this one. But, for me the literal view should always take precedence where it can.

God bless you and keep you,

2009/12/8 21:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy