SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : News Footage of Preacher Arrested on Alabama A&M Jesse Morrell

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi nizero...

Quote:
He does however have a good point when he says he is against the concept of permits to speak all together because it is unconstitutional to have to obtain a permit for something that he has already been given the right to practice. He states that his permit is the constitution itself. An example of this is that it is unnecessary to obtain a permit to have a fair and just trial when it is already a fundamental right.

Yet, Jesse went through the trouble of obtaining a parking permit simply to park on a "public campus." I imagine that he wasn't permitted to park anywhere he wanted, but only within the limits of that particular parking permit. In the universities that I have attended, the place that you obtain a parking permit is the same place that you would obtain permission to use the campus "free speech" areas.

Americans certainly have a constitutional right to "free speech." In addition, the same amendment in the Bill of Rights grants us the free "right" to assemble together. Yet, this is not universal. I cannot assemble when I want...where I want...how I want. I cannot "assemble" at a tennis court gate at a public park and block people from entering or exiting the tennis court. I cannot use my "freedom to assemble" to walk into an empty college classroom and use it as a church without seeking prior permission. Similarly, many campuses have predetermined guidelines regarding where an "open air" evangelist (or Muslim cleric, PETA activist, Mormon "missionary," etc...) can set up their own congregation. In a sense, things must be done in "decency and order" on a campus as well as in a congregation.

I just called the University in order to obtain just a little clarification. I am waiting to receive a call back from a University official in order to see what the requirements might be in regard to utilizing "free speech" on campus. I also want to see if Jesse Morrell might be leaving something out. I'll let you know what they say.

:-)

BTW, I am still waiting for NSCalvinist to confirm whether or not he/she is affiliated in any way with Jesse Morrell (either a relative, wife, a ministry worker...or even the man himself). If there is a connection of any sort, then I would be greatly disappointed at the level of deception by which this person has taken to do such a thing.

2009/11/30 15:43Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

That is a good point. We should preach the Gospel whether we have permission from the authorities or not.

its true, but as with everything there is a good way and a less good way.

Mat 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

2009/11/30 15:45Profile

Re:

Quote:
Before you get all hot and bothered by the discussion here, you should know that NSCalvinist and TheArminian are both accounts of Jesse Morrell. Of course they agree with each other -- they have been doing this in other threads before. Jesse is using these multiple accounts to defend himself here. He is playing with us.

Interesting... and very deceptive.

Perhaps Jesse needs to pray this Psalm:

[b]Psalm 120:2[/b] [i]Deliver my soul, O LORD, from [b]lying lips[/b], and from a [b]deceitful tongue[/b].[/i]

Some other appropriate scripture is:

[b]Proverbs 12:22[/b] [i]Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.[/i]

[b]Ephesians 4:25[/b] [i]Wherefore putting away [b]lying[/b], speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.[/i]

[b]Col 3:9[/b] [i][b]Lie not one to another[/b], seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds...[/i]

[b]1 John 2:21[/b] [i]I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, [b]and that no lie is of the truth.[/b][/i]

[b]2 Timothy 3:13[/b] [i]But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, [b]deceiving[/b], and being deceived.[/i]

I guess the truth behind Jesse is out there.

Krispy

2009/11/30 15:59
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

GeorgeFox wrote:
Quote:
we should send missionaries to China even if it is illegal. We should obey God rather than man as the Apostles said when the authorities forbad them from preaching.

That is a good point. We should preach the Gospel whether we have permission from the authorities or not.

LOL! As soon as he is unmasked, Jesse -"I would sooner become an atheist than to become a Calvinist"-and-"I do this for a living"- Morrell changes to another account: George Fox. He has used this ID in the past too. Now he will probably register a totally new unknown account to continue his self-defense. Funny guy.

2009/11/30 16:27Profile

Re:

How do you know this? This is a serious accusation you are making.

Krispy

2009/11/30 16:33
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello...

I just got off the phone with the Director of the Office of Information and Public Relations from Alabama A&M University. He informed me that Jesse certainly has a right to free speech...and they made this clear to him. However, due to public safety, all visitors of the campus are required to "check in" at the school. The director explained that there are large signs located around campus that explain this. The police arrived only after they received a complaint from a registered student.

The director did explain that the security officer was incorrect in asserting that this is a "private" university; however, the rule still applies regardless of whether or not it is a public or private school. He explained that, since he is not a registered student, Jesse simply needed to go to the office and fill out a simple form in order to preach on campus. If he had done this, he could have preached unimpeded.

After the initial fiasco, Jesse was allowed to return to the school and preach his message. I was told that he did return and preach -- and without incident.

Personally, I think that it is a bit disingenuous for Jesse Morrell to imply that he was arrested for preaching the Gospel. He was not. He was simply arrested because he was asked to leave (unless he had registered as a visitor with the University) and he refused, preferring to pull out the camera and pull a "free speech victim" stunt. This had nothing to do with the Gospel. It had to do with Jesse's refusal to register as a visitor.

Oddly enough, Jesse thought to obtain a parking PERMIT for his car with this "public" university, but neglected to take the same measure himself. If we have to register to preach at a public hospital, elementary school or even public state park -- why should we think that we have a "free pass" just because we are carrying a Bible? Ironically, Jesse's right of "free speech" was not impeded at all. The school did not tell him what he could or could not say. He just didn't think that he needed to register as a visitor.

I thanked the Director of Information and Public Relations for making this clear. He indicated that he feels no ill will toward Jesse Morrell. He even respects his boldness for sharing his views. He doesn't want the University to appear closed to either the faith or "free speech." In fact, he reminded me that the Alabama A&M University has quite a few vibrant Christian student organizations that organize evangelical events on campus.

It just makes me wonder if Jesse knew that this could have all been avoided if he simply had taken a few minutes to register as a visitor to the school. However, I can't help but wonder if Jesse might have known anyway...but still chose to neglect this.

:-(

2009/11/30 17:02Profile

Re:

Quote:
we should send missionaries to China

I hope God is included in that 'we' decision making.

2009/11/30 17:28

Re:

My policy is to just show up on a public campus and start preaching. Since we preach on so many campuses each year, this is convenient for us. We are on a different campus each week, sometimes many campuses a week, and it is simply not practical for us to contact each campus a head of time and wait for them to get back to us. Most of the time they don't get back to us. This campus for example did not return my calls until I made the videos available on YouTube and sent out some emails.

If a campus requires a permit, they will come and tell us. We will then get a permit, even if there is a five day waiting period or a two hour limitation, we still abide by these limitations and restraints.

If the campus doesn't allow preaching, they will ask us to leave and we will do so. I told this Officer I was willing to leave but just had a few questions.

If a campus doesn't require a permit (which is most common) we just keep preaching. University of North Alabama says in their free speech policy that they do not require a permit because they do not want to hinder or restrict our right of free speech. I reasonably assumed Alabama A&M would have the same policy as other State Universities in Alabama. In the same town as A&M is the University of Alabama in Huntsville which also does not require a permit. That is why I thought A&M would not have a permit process. The Police didn't even know that there was a permit until they looked into it after I asked them about it.

On this campus, the Officer arrested me for trespassing on a private campus, disturbing the peace because they got a phone call complaint, and disorderly conduct because I asked him some questions instead of leaving campus immediately. The Officer knew nothing about a permit process because he said, "take your free speech off this campus" and "free speech doesn't allow you to be here". The permit process had nothing to do with my false arrest. Failure to acquire a permit was not my charge. Nobody even mentioned a permit until I brought it up. After being arrested, I asked if there was a permit process or what do I need to do to preach on campus. The administration apologized for my false arrest since it was a public campus. I will not sue the Officer for false arrest. I am not about lawsuits, I am about evangelism. The administration said for the future I simply need a permit. I thought that was fine as long as I can preach. That is all I want.

I didn't want to get arrested and I don't like lawsuits at all. I just want to preach. That is why I filled out the permit to return to campus. I do think that permits are unconstitutional, nevertheless I get permits if I need to because all I want to do is preach the gospel to the lost.

Jesse Morrell
www.OpenAirOutreach.com

2009/11/30 18:06
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Jesse...

Quote:
My policy is to just show up on a public campus and start preaching...

If a campus requires a permit, they will come and tell us...

But if you have been arrested several times for the same thing, then why didn't you come and register as a guest? You could have easily checked to see if anything was necessary BEFORE you acted with such an assumption.

Quote:
On this campus, the Officer arrested me for trespassing on a private campus...

Did he arrest you for trespassing on a private campus...or for simply [i]trespassing[/i]? What does the arrest report say? The police officer obviously made a verbal mistake. You were certainly on a public university -- but so what? You simply needed to register as a visitor. Besides, you weren't simply walking around campus or registering for classes. Right or wrong -- you were creating a scene. You were assembling a congregation of hearers. Now, I have visited quite a few public and private campuses. I have been forced to register as a visitor on each of them (with the exception of UNA, which is a school that one of my sisters actually attended). Just FYI, but such a rule is pretty consistent. You simply have to check BEFORE you go about preaching. This is usually with a university police department or with an office of student affairs or student activities. Since you would be a visitor, it only makes sense to check first. Then, you will no longer be a stranger, but a guest.

Quote:
I didn't want to get arrested and I don't like lawsuits at all. I just want to preach. That is why I filled out the permit to return to campus. I do think that permits are unconstitutional, nevertheless I get permits if I need to because all I want to do is preach the gospel to the lost.

In order to avoid such issues in the future, why not just check this out first? If someone denies you entrance AFTER you attempt to obtain a permit, then you can go ahead and proceed with filing a lawsuit. However, this sort of thing can be an unnecessary distraction if your ultimate goal is to preach the Gospel. Personally, I understand the need for such permits (even in public places). They aren't meant to impede "free speech," but to protect individuals who choose to implement that right while also protecting the campus too. The campus cannot tell you what you can or cannot say (regarding the Gospel). However, they have a right to make sure that you commence preaching with decency and order according to established state or university (special district) policy.

To be fair, the Director of the Office of Information and Public Relations was very kind when speaking about you. He obviously holds no grudge against you and said that the school hopes to encourage individuals to use "free speech." However, he stated that the school has guidelines for safety and order. He said that the school has very noticeable signs about the need to register as a visitor. I just think that you should check with the campus BEFORE you actually start preaching. Don't leave this up to the security guards or campus police officials to inform you of this. From the video, it seems like they were going to let you leave (without an arrest), but you proceeded to pull out a camera and ask questions. I think that you would save yourself a lot of time, effort and trouble to simply find out such requirements BEFORE you go about preaching.

:-(

BTW, can you confirm or deny whether or not you are acting "undercover" as one of these other members of SI in this thread? Are you writing posts as "NSCalvinist," "TheArminian," "GeorgeFox" or anyone else in this thread? If not, is this someone that is associated with you? You might not think that it makes a difference, but it would demonstrate a pattern of dishonesty (unless you could better explain it otherwise).

2009/11/30 19:07Profile
divdasunder

Ohio

Re:

Quote:
BTW, can you confirm or deny whether or not you are acting "undercover" as one of these other members of SI in this thread? Are you writing posts as "NSCalvinist," "TheArminian," "GeorgeFox" or anyone else in this thread? If not, is this someone that is associated with you? You might not think that it makes a difference, but it would demonstrate a pattern of dishonesty (unless you could better explain it otherwise).

This question seems to keep getting ignored. I also would like to know if this is true or not. Would you Jesse, be so kind to answer this question for us? Should we take the ignoring of the question as that you are all these people?
I have seen some of the threads that accuse you of having these identities. Please let us know whether it is true or not.

2009/11/30 19:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy