SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What Bible Study books do you use?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

What Bible Study books do you use?

Since Christmas is around the corner what a better time to start looking for some new study materials. Looking for some ideas on what many of you use for bible study. Looking for a good lexicon,condcordant that provides good word of word in depth study. I have been looking at the Apostolic Interlinear bible and one by JP Green. Maybe a new translation. Have a old Strongs and Vines. which have served me well. But I don't know if there might be something else out there.

Plus it would be a good benefit for others on here as well to get some ideas for themselves.

:-)

2009/11/29 9:43
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: What Bible Study books do you use?

I dont know, but i just watched a commercial video for logos bible software 4 and it i would guess is a good investment if anyone can afford it, i dont have it myself but i am sure someone else can tell you more, check it out over at their website [url=http://www.logos.com/4]Logos 4[/url]

2009/11/29 11:23Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

You can get some pretty good materials for free. I am not one to use commentary very much, but I love lexicons and have an interlinear Bible I like a lot. E-sword has some really good study materials if you use that program. I have downloaded Brown Driver Briggs Hebrew Lexicon and Thayers Greek Lexicon to supplement Strongs. Those are free. There are others that you have to pay for, but I think they are pretty inexpensive. (Wow I love the internet. Remember when a good lexicon was thick, heavy, and really expensive at the bookstore? Do bookstores still exist??? ;-) )

I really like my interlinear Greek English New Testament by George Ricker Berry. I also have a copy of the Jerusalem Bible (O.T. only of course) that give some interesting insight to some scriptures if you are OK with Genesis being in the "back" of the Bible and the pages being numbered "backwards".

2009/11/29 12:24Profile

A friend of mine mentioned the Newberry Bible to which I am currently looking (Pretty pricey) This is what she says about it.

Quote:
the way the Hebrew is brought out by marginal notes and symbols in the text, indicating which name of God was used, emphasis (the [b]I[/b] - I ) which God uses of Himself, and the direction of the verb (to name but three) for someone who doesn't speak / read Hebrew, it's very helpful. there's also a Greek section, and the same done for Greek in the NT, but, lots of other Greek support is available. What's unique about Newberry is the detailed support for the Hebrew

2009/11/29 14:45
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I have this bible, the newberry study bible, it is very good one for several reasons. Here is a picture. The text has markings throughout the text, to indicate what tense,mood and so on the greek words are and to show what is lost in translation sometimes. also in the Left column you will find some words in hebrew or greek, and in the right you get the english translation or alternative translation. It is not the bible you want to read for hours, but very useful for wordstudy and if you know your grammar you can benefit very much from it even tho you dont know greek or hebrew.

[img]http://www.newblehome.co.uk/newberry/biblepenfold.jpg[/img]

2009/11/29 15:23Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

You can go a long way with these three resources...

Strongs Exhaustive Concordance
Vines Expository Dictionary
Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge

In Christ,

Ron

2009/11/29 15:51Profile

Re:

I have heard of the Newberry bible, looked at it, but it is a bit pricey. Also I am not the best grammatical person.

How about the Apostolic Bible [url=http://apostolicbible.com/]http://apostolicbible.com/[/url]

Also was looking at the Concordant bible translation.

2009/11/29 16:55

Re:

Quote:

InTheLight wrote:
You can go a long way with these three resources...

Strongs Exhaustive Concordance
Vines Expository Dictionary
Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge

In Christ,

Ron

have those, but they are pretty old. They were given to me. Have a Thayer that is old too. I think I have all my bases covered...was just looking for something that I may have not known about that has been helpful to others.

thanks
;-)

2009/11/29 16:57
Leo_Grace

Re:

Try the online Bible study resources available for free at:
[url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/]Blue Letter Bible[/url]
I use it a lot.

2009/11/29 17:11Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Do we realize that the wealth of study resources that are available at our fingertips today is totally unprecedented in the history of the earth. How accountable is our generation for knowing the word of God, and what does this say about how close to the end of things we really are?

Just a thought. Not trying to turn the thread.

Travis

2009/11/29 21:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy