SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anybody else hate bugs?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I have lots of empathy for the roach haters! I still wonder what purpose they fill in the food chain..nasty things!

In the past few weeks my take on bugs has changed a LOT. As most of you know, we grow tomatoes hydroponically. Unfortunately, we also grow white flies! :-? Now how do we kill dem boogers? They are nasty! They damage the plants and fruit. Believe me. We are limited in what chemicals we can use and what we did use is losing its effectiveness. So, last spring we used garlic/pepper spray, tobacco tea and while they killed them we never were able to get rid of 'em.

We were getting desperate and to make the long story short we decided to go the beneficials route. This is buying insects that will prey upon WF and thrips. Among other insects, we have received several shipments of ertmocerous mundus (I still have no clue how you pronounce these words. So every few days I will take my pocket microscope to look at bugs and see whether they are working like expected. I had reflected on how I HATED insects and now I look on them as a friend. I already did love my bumble bees that pollinate our flowers....I would love to pet them but do not think they would appreciate it.

Love 'em or hate 'em - depends a lot on whether you expect them to work for you or whether you become a meal for them!

Oh, I still hate fire ants but did learn that if you have some they will protect your wooden buildings from termites! Don't know how true [i]that[/i] is but will accept it...

ginnyrose

2009/11/25 20:52Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
I already did love my bumble bees that pollinate our flowers....I would love to pet them but do not think they would appreciate it.

Last year I had a bumble bee that had a broken wing. Instead of flying, he would just crawl from flower to flower. After he was done sipping nectar he would lay on the petals as if he was drunk or something. He was very fat - not enough exercise I guess. Anyway, I did take to petting him. When he would see me coming, he would lift up his little leg in defense - but he really did not have any choice in the matter.

:-)

2009/11/25 21:10Profile

Re:

I am running Ubuntu Linux and sometimes I come across some bugs, and I hate em, does that count?

2009/11/25 21:17
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

HeartSong, I love it that you petted that bumble bee! Neat!

Quote:
sometimes I come across some bugs, and I hate em, does that count?

Now, this has the potential to make you MAD! :-(

ginnyrose

2009/11/25 21:26Profile
IWantAnguish

Re:

I remember in 5th grade I used to run around the soccer field of the elementary school and try to step on bumble bees...

I think I stepped on one and it didn't die, and it came after me, so I ran all the way into the school and didn't have time to explain myself to the teacher...

I was a dumb kid.

2009/11/26 14:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy