SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Fear & Shrinking Back

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Spitfire

Fear & Shrinking Back

I've been meditating on this scripture for quite some time, "[i]38But the just shall live by faith [My righteous servant shall live [a]by his conviction respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, and holy fervor born of faith and conjoined with it]; and if he draws back and shrinks in fear, My soul has no delight or pleasure in him.(A)[/i]" Hebrews 10:38 Amplified
This scripture rings in my spirit like a bell at all times!! I see so many professing Christians who have shrunk back in fear. I love that the Amplified uses this word, "Shrink".

What does it mean to "shrink"? Here is Webster's definition: 1 : to contract or curl up the body or part of it : huddle, cower
2 a : to contract to less extent or compass b : to become smaller or more compacted c : to lose substance or weight d : to lessen in value : dwindle
3 a : to recoil instinctively (as from something painful or horrible) b : to hold oneself back : refrain

Life is hard and the competition for resources increases every day. People are afraid. Whether we realize it as fear or not, very often, it is fear that is intimidating us. People are struggling financially. People are sick. People are tired and lonely. There's a long list of heartaches. I see so many people looking for a shortcut. I see people striving/scratching/clawing for a way to hang onto their life. Inwardly, they are in a panic and I understand! There's this sense that life is eluding us in spite of all we do. It takes tremendous focus for me not to succumb to the fear of the future and yet, I do believe that God's promise to help me and to care for me is true. Sometimes I want to accept the world's offering for relief in various forms, but then, Hebrews 10:38 resounds in my heart and I'm rallied by the truth! Hallelujah!

The spirit of the world is an enemy of God and those who love this world are God's enemies, too. It's been 5 years since I first came to Sermonindex. At that time, I was being awakened to the Truth of this. I was realizing that I was a worldly Christian (if there is such a thing). It was excruciatingly painful for me to have to face this within myself and then, when I did face it and repent, to have to go back to the beginning in looking at the scriptures to find how God wants me to live in this world and not be of it. I'm challenge on a daily basis with the threats and intimidations of life to "shrink" back instead of advancing in faith. I want to encourage you all to hold fast to the truth as is given to us through the apostles teachings and to spread it via every avenue and platform that God presents. I find they are all around me every day! Blessings, Dian

2009/11/10 14:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy