SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : SI posters called to be of one mind and have no divisons.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

SI posters called to be of one mind and have no divisons.

Here on the mighty, Sermon index, where the posters are the cream of the revival crop. Who wants to get low and be not wise in our own eyes?

I mean really. Where is the warm, humble hearts of true revival and like mind?
I am not saying we have to smile and agree even if it is blatant error. But we need to inventory ourselves on this. Below are some key scriptures calling us to be of one mind.

Now how can we achieve this here on SI?

Ro 12:16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. {condescend...: or, be contented with mean things}

1Co 1:10 ¶ Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. {divisions: Gr. schisms}

Php 4:2 I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.

1Pe 4:1 ¶ Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
(KJV)

2009/11/10 11:29
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: SI posters called to be of one mind and have no divisons.

I think 1 Peter 4v1 is key.

"...for he that hath suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin."

We haven't suffered.

2009/11/10 11:35Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I dunno, for the years I have been on SI, I have always felt a great deal of unity amongst us, even when we disagree. There is definitely room for all of us (read: me) to grow, but, I think in generally we are a pretty good bunch. When I went to the Revival Conference in Barnsdale earlier this year, I was glad to meet many of the brothers and sisters that I've discussed many topics with. Some whom I have disagreed with many times here in the forum I still felt a great affection for.

:-)

2009/11/10 11:41Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

"If then there is any encouragement in Christ,
any consolation from love, any fellowship in Spirit,
any compassion and sympathy, make my joy complete;
be of the same mind, having the same love, being
of one accord and of one mind. Do nothing from
selfish ambition or vain conceit, but with humility
regard others as better than yourselves."

What do you suppose would happen if we followed Paul's admonition ??

2009/11/10 11:51Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi KingJimmy...

I agree. There are individuals here at SermonIndex that I have disagreed with, but the love that I hold for them is very real. Even with all of the disagreements regarding some doctrinal issues, there is a real unity by the fact that we all love our Lord and are desperate to know Him and see His Word revealed in us and in the Church.

2009/11/10 12:17Profile
rookie

Re:

Paul calls for unity through the working of God amongst His people. Paul teaches that unity only comes after God reveals who is walking with the Lord...

1Cr 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

Unity is depended upon two things, God proving those who declare the truth, and those who are in error, repent.

In Christ
Jeff

2009/11/10 12:23Profile
Leo_Grace

Good topic, thingsabove. Thank you.

[i]Ro 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.[/i]

I struggle with the above verse myself, but I have observed that those with strong faith in God, as evidenced in their lives, tend to think less of themselves, and vice-versa.

These two things: [u]Faith in God[/u] and [u]Pride in Self[/u] have an inverse mathematical relationship. When the first goes up, the second comes down; and when the first goes down, the second goes up. Basic Christian algebra. Unity is easy under the first scenario.

2009/11/10 12:48Profile

Re:

Quote:
I dunno, for the years I have been on SI, I have always felt a great deal of unity amongst us, even when we disagree. There is definitely room for all of us (read: me) to grow, but, I think in generally we are a pretty good bunch. When I went to the Revival Conference in Barnsdale earlier this year, I was glad to meet many of the brothers and sisters that I've discussed many topics with. Some whom I have disagreed with many times here in the forum I still felt a great affection for.

I agree with this assessment. Even though things can get a bit heated, generally speaking we all seem to land on our feet. Some of the folks here who I have had the toughest debates here are the ones I confide privately with when I need someone to pray for me.

Some people think that to even disagree, or admit that we disagree is disunity... but far from it! To pretend that we all agree, and go along with every wind of doctrine so that there are never any disagreements is to deny the faith and be as a heathen. In fact, that type of thinking is killing the "church" in America.

I know I have voiced my disgust with the conversations here from time to time... and sometimes it's been MY fault, and not that of others. Sometimes division is caused here by someone who shows up, throws a couple of grenades and then disappears into the night. Sometimes we just flat out get some nut-jobs who show up.

And sometimes calls for "unity" on this forum come from folks who view unity as "everyone needs to stop arguing and just agree with me". Thats not unity either... thats tyranny.

But the core people here are, I believe, very much united. Differences? Yes! But we are united by one common thread... simply Jesus.

Krispy

2009/11/10 13:05
Koheleth

NC

While I appreciate all of the kindly-worded replies, I am going to be the first one to disagree. Without mentioning any names, there is not a kindred spirit and any real appreciation or friendliness among all posters on this thread. Some have recently even denounced the salvation of others and belittled their doctrine and beliefs.

I am in hearty agreement with the original post and believe it should be more seriously considered and honored. Based on his past input, I think Greg would support this. This means it is not your personal prerogative to enact some form of church discipline or denounce those you disagree with on this forum, as has been the general behavior of quite a number to this date. My understanding of the original post is that this behavior should change. This would be most welcome by myself and others, and it [i]would[/i] be a change.

2009/11/10 13:37Profile

O.K. I have read the responses up to krisp.
I agree that the glue that gets us through the heated debates is our unified love for Jesus.

I am also aware that several have included themselves in the falling short assesment. Thats good. We have patted ourselves, just a little, on still being unified, inspite of differences.

So I would suggest we all pray and ask God to humble us even more.Also to give us better discernment on this verse;

1 Co 1:10 ¶.........that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. {divisions: Gr. schisms}

What does this really mean?? God said it through Paul. Paul expected that we could do it.

How do we do this?

A few possible suggestions.

1. let not many of you be masters,(teachers) for we all err.

Perhaps to many of us are trying to be teachers when we perhaps should be better learners?

I know that I am prone to teach. However even as I open my mouth there are times when I wish I would have said less.

2 Those who are called to teach should be very carefull of the doctrine the teach.

hmm...well yea...understand true essential doctrine vs. non essential??

I offer these as things to meditate on and pray and think about and try not to forget in a week.

2009/11/10 13:38

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy