SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Help finding the name of a preacher

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lucash

Kentucky

Help finding the name of a preacher

Okay, so I'm trying to think of the name of a preacher I heard of either in a Sermon by Paris Reidhead, or maybe Leonard Ravenhill... Anyways, the context is the preacher was talking about a man who would preached to thousands of people, and at the end, they all (or the majority) fell down to the ground and started shaking. When the policemen would come around and smell their breath, if their breath smelled of alcohol, they would throw them in jail. If it didn't, they would just leave them alone because it was *****ism. The stars are for the guys last name he is talking about. I can't think of it. To the best of my knowledge, this man preached in the 1800s or 1900s, thanks!

2009/11/7 19:57Profile
Laviver

Re: Help finding the name of a preacher

It wasn't only in Wesley's day. It was also in America, New Haven, Connecticut, Yale. A man by the name of John Wesley Redfield had continuous ministry for three years in and around New Haven. Culminating in the great meetings in the Yale Ball, the first of the Yale Balls back in the 18th century. The policemen were accustomed during those days, if they saw someone lying on the ground, to go up and smell his breath. Because if he had alcohol on his breath they'd lock him up, but if he didn't, he had Redfield's disease. And all you needed to do if anyone had Redfield's disease was just take him into a quiet place and leave him until he came to. Because if they were drunkards, they'd stop drinking, and if they were cruel, they'd stop being cruel, and if they were immoral, they gave up their immorality. If they were thieves, they returned what they had stolen. For as they had seen the holiness of God, and seen the enormity of their sin, the Spirit of God had DRIVEN THEM DOWN INTO UNCONSCIOUSNESS because of the weight of their guilt! And somehow in the overspreading of the power of God, sinners repented of their sin and came savingly to Christ.

Paris Reidhead - 10 Shekels and a Shirt

I believe I have heard Ravenhill reference this man as well.

John Wesley Redfield
http://www.watchword.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=36

2009/11/7 21:08Profile
Lucash

Kentucky

Re:

ah, yes! Redfield! thank you Laviver!

2009/11/7 22:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy