Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Genuine miracles

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anastasis

Genuine miracles

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0103232.htm

I was reading part four of this page by Irenaeus today and I started wondering to myself that if the gifts haven't ceased, why are we seeing so few at least in America? I can't vouch for other nations.

Perhaps some here have seen many, but growing up in the Spirit-Filled arena I've heard everything on Hinn, Copeland, Bentley, but have no legitimate claim to their miracles (or doctrine), and I have seen very few that I'd call legit.

I write this knowing miracles aren't the end of what we do, but I would like to know, what would it take for us to start seeing them again? If these are things we should still be able to do, I admit it's disappointing we don't still have them.

Thoughts? Do you think it's because our ideas of God are flawed to being with, but assming a person who truly loves God and obeys His Word, how does it happen?

2009/11/4 16:37Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Genuine miracles

Quote:
Anastasis wrote:
Thoughts? Do you think it's because our ideas of God are flawed to being with, but assming a person who truly loves God and obeys His Word, how does it happen?

I see miracles but true, I don't see any where people line up to have someone's shadow fall on them to be healed!

One reason why I don't think we see as many today in America is because we are fat and happy. [b]ONLY[/b] if the doctors tell someone that there is no hope do people begin to seek God and this is in the church. I do not mean to make a blanket statement about all Christians or 'church people' but our death rate is like the world's death rate (just as our divorce rate is like that of the world's divorce rate {and I'm divorced}).

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

It seems that there are very few desperate enough anymore and that [b]DEFINITELY[/b] includes me because I'm finding that I'm having a hard time letting go of creamer for my coffee. How pitiful is that? We have habits that have us.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth!

God bless you.

2009/11/4 17:07Profile
Anastasis

Re:

You know you might just in part have confirmed something for me. Why are we expecting a miracle for what God has clearly given us means to do by just living right?

As for people being healed by shadows, yeah that is on the scale that I'm thinking.

2009/11/4 17:32Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
Anastasis wrote:
You know you might just in part have confirmed something for me. Why are we expecting a miracle for what God has clearly given us means to do by just living right?

let me share something that just occurred to me when I read this. I'm not bragging because like I said earlier it's pitiful when you can't let go of hazelnut coffee creamer!! I KNOW the hole from whence I've been dug!!! LOL

I was listening to David Wilkerson, he said he has fasted one or two days a week for years. Derek Prince said that he had fasted twice a week for years as well. They both said they did NOT know of any person truly of God that did not fast weekly. About six months ago, I began putting that to work in my life, I began a lifestyle of fasting and I've lost about 25 lbs. I've fasted way more than the previous 25 years but it's still been uneven. Now I didn't do it to lose weight but it is a benefit and I'm healthier. (edit)My point is not the weight loss but that if we can even follow the Lord in our eating habits, we will be healthier for it.(/edit)

I've only added this to agree with you. I'm off to the jail ministry now. I'll try to check back in later tonight. don't know if I'll be able to.

God bless you and thanks for this train of thought for this discussion!!

2009/11/4 17:53Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i have seen and know of many miracles from the 50s and 60s but very few now...i think that God will not share the glory with rev. bumbast or apostle midas.a drunk by the name of a.a.allen laid hands on a non believer old friend who had his lung removed and three ribs removed ... his other lung was full of tb ... when he got up he could breath and he went to the doctor who xrayed him to find out the scar removed,a new clean lung and an old clean lung... gene is saved and has been preaching ever since.you dont give drunks credit, you give God all the glory ... i have seen many in my life even when i was in a sin battle. God is sovereign and must get all the glory. len ravenhill broke his back jumping out of a burning hotel in chigago... while on his back in ireland everyone with cancer brought to him was healed until he was healed... then no one was healed. i gave up trying to figure God out a long time ago. just trust and obey.jimp

2009/11/4 19:28Profile

Re:

the lord healed me 6 years ago of my homosexuality problems or the lusts of them, also he healed me of a health condition i had and that is when i began to believe in him. Everyday is a living miracle and God giving someone a new nature is a miracle to.

2009/11/5 4:03
Know-Him

Re:

Quote:

jimp wrote:
i gave up trying to figure God out a long time ago. just trust and obey.jimp

Amen - We must believe that the God who is all powerful and has not changed (James 1:17) is able to carry out any miracle and not doubt Him when we do not see it happen.

2009/11/5 4:58Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:
what would it take for us to start seeing them again? If these are things we should still be able to do, I admit it's disappointing we don't still have them.

Why do you need miracles when you have everything you need?

The areas in the world where miracles occur with some regularity are places of intense need, both materially and spiritually.

(One story: when I interviewing people in compiling a genealogy book, I learned that there were healers in this particular community many years ago. I have cousins who, when sick, would be taken to this man and he would lay his hands on them and quietly pray. In fact, I heard of two fellows who had this gift of healing. We are not talking about the act or practice of pow-wowing, this was something totally different. This gift of healing is no longer present in this community.)

On the other hand, I am convinced there are many who do experience them in a not so dramatic way but will not talk about it for whatever reason. If you check out Jesus' ministry where he healed people, he many times told those - where it was a one on one healing - to not tell others. Scripture does not always inform us why Jesus gave this command but I would guess one could be that it has something to do with a person's ego.

Anyhow, these are my thoughts on this issue - and I would guess many folks have pondered this same question at some point in their life but this is the conclusion I have come to.

ginnyrose

2009/11/5 9:11Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

bible4life wrote:
the lord healed me 6 years ago of my homosexuality problems or the lusts of them, also he healed me of a health condition i had and that is when i began to believe in him. Everyday is a living miracle and God giving someone a new nature is a miracle to.

One does not need to look for the fire and lightning or the dead rising from the grave to recognize the supernatural work of God in our lives. I was "raised from the dead" in a way since God has granted me full recovery from Stage 4 metastatic colon cancer these last two years. True, there was no dramatic instant remission, but being disease free now after the abject pessimism of my doctors just 1.5 years ago is a true miracle. God didn't send Elijah but used my doctors for my healing - it's just as wonderful. There have been many other miracles in my life, and I'm sure many of you have experienced them too.

2009/11/5 9:55Profile
Ceri

Notts. England.

I believe the days of genuine miracles will return but only as man gives God the glory and not follow the vessel. God will not share his glory.

To be honest I'm glad the days of the healing crusades as in the 70's are over. People queued in the prayer line to give their lives to God and to be prayed for to receive a miracle of healing and many did - but where are these people now?

Miracles are not a means of bringing people to salvation. Of the ten lepers Jesus healed only one returned to say 'Thank you'

Jesus performed miracles to help people at a point of desperation, where there was nothing man could do - only God to turn to.

When his disciples failed to heal the possessed boy Jesus said to them that this is only accomplished through faith, prayer and fasting.
There is your key - are we prepared to sacrifice time and effort with prayer and fasting to see miracles as the early church did?

Miracles do happen - I've seen and experienced amazing things in my own life and that of my family, but I still pray 'your will be done Lord'
I believe it takes more faith to 'let go' and leave a desperate situation in God's hands and to His will and to walk the path He leads you along in complete trust and assurance that He is with you and whatever the outcome He will bring good and glory from it.
That again can be a genuine miracle. I've been there!

2009/11/6 11:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy