SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Comedians in the Pulpit?!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Tonda

Comedians in the Pulpit?!

A local Pastor recently told me of a conversation he had with a man, (whom we'll call John). This Pastor has talked to John about church on a few occasions. John will inevitably relate the latest joke that he has heard from the pulpit. After several encounters of this sort, this Pastor said to John, “You say that you have been going to church, but the only thing you ever tell me is this joke and that joke that you heard at church. So, tell me, what exactly did the minister preach about?”

John’s reply: “Well now, I couldn’t tell you what he preached about…but, I do know this - that preacher really knows how to tell a good joke!”

“…it’s tragic that anybody should yield so to the propaganda of hell as to joke about that which is no joke.” - A. W. Tozer

My brethren, these things ought not so to be! Irreverence for God, His Word, and His House has brought a heavy burden and a terrible sorrow to my spirit. I am GRIEVED!!! Every time I enter into the place of prayer and bring my plea before the Throne of Grace, I weep, uncontrollably as one who is in deep mourning. For, “We have become in our day the greatest bunch of sacrilegious jokesters in the world…” - A. W. Tozer

I want GOD!! I want to GROW in knowledge of HIM! I want to GROW closer to Him! I want to UNDERSTAND Him and His Holy Word, more and more and more! I want to be FED from HIS table. I do not go to church simply to be attending church. I do not go to church to get the "warm fuzzy’s" nor do I go to see a “stand up comedy” routine with just a few scriptures thrown in sporadically, so that I can say I've heard a "sermon!" I don't WANT "business as usual!" This is not a business! This is not a GAME! and this is NOT a Comedy Club!!!

Oh my Lord, my God, my KING, When - Oh WHEN will You come down and CLEANSE Your Temple?! WHEN will You send Your Consuming Holy Fire to Purify and Sanctify? Father, bring Integrity, Sincerity, Purity, Unction, Power, and REVERANCE back to the Pulpits of this nation…for Your own name’s sake, let Your judgment begin at Your House!

A.W. Tozer said, “There are some things that are not the proper objects of humor…” And I would add that there are also some PLACES that are never meant to be stages for armature comic relief! Can you imagine the Apostles and the early church behaving this way in the Temple of God? Absolutely not!

“The Apostles intimately knew Jesus. They walked, talked, ate, and worked with Jesus. They heard Him, saw Him and touched Him (1 John 1:1). Then they saw Him die, but REJOICED when He arose from the dead. Their long awaited Messiah commissioned them to spread the good news. They were filled and compelled by the Holy Spirit.” - Jason Lon Jacobs

They were SERIOUS about Salvation! They were actually CONCERNED for the Souls of men! They gave their very LIVES for the Cause of Christ and the Advancement of His Kingdom! They were not consumed with laughter, entertainment, and amusements. They “…had a sense of urgency because they expected Jesus to return imminently (Jason Lon Jacobs).”

Their consuming passion was GOD. The thoughts that filled their minds were “Lord, what would you have me say that will bring Glory unto the name of Christ? Lord, what would You have me do to show forth the love of Christ? Lord, where would You have me go to snatch one from the fire?” I honestly cannot picture them EVER trying to find a good joke to tell at the next synagogue! They HONORD and VALUED the presence of God! They RESPECTED His Word! And they REVERENCED His HOUSE! They wouldn’t have DARED to enter into the Holy place and behave as people do in American churches today. They worshipped God with AWE. They TREMBLED at His Word! And when they entered His sanctuary, it was for Him alone!

“We have become in our day the greatest bunch of sacrilegious jokesters in the world…Be sure you don’t laugh at something that God takes seriously.” - A. W. Tozer

“Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: For our God [is] a consuming fire (Heb 12:28-29, KJV - emphasis added).”

-Tonda Canterbury

2009/11/4 13:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Comedians in the Pulpit?!

hmmm, I wonder what Tozer would say IF he knew how much joking is going on in pulpits today? He died in 1963, back when preachers were more sober.

The first time I heard this kind of 'preaching' (about ten years ago) I was appalled. The pastor in this particular case was one who was very much involved in the charismatic movement back in the 1970s...you would think a fellow this old would have matured...

On another vein: many modern weddings are very brief with some music and the vows and then the audience is dismissed. But this is not the case in all churches. Some weddings will have the pastor give some words of edification concerning marriage which would be applicable to all. This is what I was exposed to when growing up and when I attend a wedding that is otherwise, I always felt something was lacking.

Anyhow....this trend of the pastor speaking edifying words concerning marriage and what it entails has deteriorated (in some churches)to an explanation of the value of the physical side of marriage; the kind of info that should only be shared in the context of pre-marital counseling, not from the pulpit! (THANK-YOU!) The first time I heard it I was so embarrassed for the couple. The second time I felt so uncomfortable because of our teens in the audience AND I was told the couple marrying was also so very embarrassed. I was and still am so very upset. At that point I have concluded these pastors must have attended the same seminar which taught them a new way to preach at wedding ceremonies.

Ah, yes, so many of the men in the pulpits have lost a sense of the holiness of God - so sad, so tragic.

(Did you read Greg's "95 Theses to the Evangelical Church"? it is a worthwhile read.)

ginnyrose

2009/11/4 14:54Profile
BeingMolded

USA

I totally agree with the comments here. It is so grievous to me to hear jokes in the pulpit, to the point that I drop my head in shame for the person who calls himself a minister of God and uses this to get the attention of an audience. It means to me that instead of agonising in prayer to God for his sermon he has put together a speech to tickle the ears of the audience so the purpose is to be "men pleasers" intsead of pleasing God.
In the old testament days those who profamed the holy things of God were struct down dead. It is only the mercies of God that this does not happen today but there is coming a day of judgement when all these things will be brought to light for what they are. People do not fear God as they should or they would not do such things.

2009/11/4 15:20Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

This is sad. So sad.

Since when was hell funny?

2009/11/5 8:35Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

People have been desensitized to the word hell by using derivatives of the word in their speech. I am talking about the words "heck" and then "hell". People in the south will use the term 'hell' - go to hell - in regards to a rival sports team that is playing their favorite one. But its use is not limited to sports, it occurs in referencing everyday life,

It really should not be surprising that when folks abuse the word it will also dull one sense to its basic definition. Ditto to words like 'golly' and 'gosh'. Folks have lost a sense of the holy and have embraced the profane.

ginnyrose

2009/11/5 8:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy