SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Psalm 81:8-16

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HeartSong

Psalm 81:8-16

[i]"Hear, O my people, and I will testify unto thee: O Israel, if thou wilt hearken unto me; There shall no strange god be in thee; neither shalt thou worship any strange god. I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.

But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me. So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels. Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways! I should soon have subdued their enemies, and turned my hand against their adversaries.

The haters of the LORD should have submitted themselves unto him: but their time should have endured for ever. He should have fed them also with the finest of the wheat: and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied thee."

- Psalm 81:8-16[/i]

I found it interesting that this passage states that "no strange god will be in thee." I was under the impression that Christians could not be demon possessed but clearly this is being written to God's people for it begins with "Hear, O my people..." so that must not be true. What I did find comforting was that this will not be if we hearken unto His voice. What I also found comforting was that He will subdue my enemies, and will turn His hand against my adversaries if I will walk in His ways.

I love the promises of the Lord.

2009/11/1 0:54Profile
Laviver

Re: Psalm 81:8-16

Good insight. I agree wholly. As a side note, I think Christians can be oppressed/tormented by demons while not actually being possessed.

2009/11/1 1:04Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
I think Christians can be oppressed/tormented by demons while not actually being possessed.

This is true. All I have to do is get my little toe off of the path and they are all over me like flies on a dead carcass - praise the Lord. I have asked Him to never let me stray and He has been faithful.

2009/11/1 1:01Profile

Re: Psalm 81:8-16

Sister HeartSong, I thought you'd be interested in the following Charles Wesley hymn, based on the end of Deu 33.

[i]NONE is like Jeshurun's God,
So great, so strong, so high,
Lo! he spreads his wings abroad,
He rides upon the sky!
Israel is his first-born son;
God, the Almighty God, is thine;
See him to thy help come down,
The excellence divine.

2 Thee the great Jehovah deigns
To succour and defend;
Thee the eternal God sustains,
Thy Maker and thy friend:
Israel, what hast thou to dread?
Safe from all impending harms,
Round thee and beneath are spread
The everlasting arms.

3 God is thine; disdain to fear
The enemy within:
God shall in thy flesh appear,
And make an end of sin;
God the man of sin shall slay,
Fill thee with triumphant joy;
God shall thrust him out, and say,
"Destroy them all, destroy!"

4 All the struggle then is o'er,
And wars and fightings cease,
Israel then shall sin no more,
But dwell in perfect peace;
All his enemies are gone;
Sin shall have in him no part;
Israel now shall dwell alone,
With Jesus in his heart.

5 In a land of corn and wine
His lot shall be below;
Comforts there, and blessings join,
And milk and honey flow;
Jacob's well is in his soul;
Gracious dew his heavens distil,
Fill his soul, already full,
And shall for ever fill.

6 Blest, O Israel, art thou!
What people is like thee?
Saved from sin, by Jesus, now
Thou art, and still shalt be;
Jesus is thy seven-fold shield,
Jesus is thy flaming sword;
Earth, and hell, and sin, shall yield
To God's almighty Word.

7 God's almighty Word shall stand;
Thine enemies shall fall,
Fade away at His command,
And sink and perish all;
Liars shall they all be found -
All who cried, "It cannot be
Sin should ever quit its ground.
And have no place in thee."

8 Christ shall make thee free indeed
When He appears within;
Thou on self and pride shalt tread,
On all the strength of sin;
Thou shalt more than conquer it;
Thou shalt see it all depart,
See it dead beneath thy feet,
No longer in thy heart.

9 God, the gracious God and true,
Hath spoke the faithful word;
He the mighty work shall do,
Our trust is in the Lord;
He the mountain shall remove,
He the sinner shall restore,
He shall perfect me in love,
And I shall sin no more.[/i]

When the Hebrews left Egypt, the mixed multitude (synagogue) carried with them, Egyptian gods (idols - such as Rachel worshipped later, and Michal, David's wife). They didn't have the ark of the covenant until God had given the pattern to Moses early in their wilderness journey, after Aaron had made the golden calf. Later still, in the split between Solomon's son's followers, and the other ten tribes of Israel, Jeroboam made [u]two[/u] golden calves, and chose 'priests' from among 'the lowest of the people', devising a worship system of his own making. Eventually, God stops refering to 'Israel', and starts calling the dwelling place of those people 'Samaria', and then, when Judah follows and goes beyond Israel's idolatry, God cuts Judah off as well - apart from the tiny remnant of faithful worshippers of God.

Surely, the Christian life has many parallels with the long drawn out history of Jacob's descendents!

2009/11/1 10:40
HeartSong

Re:

Alive-to-God,

Thank you for the wonderful hymn - it is exactly what I needed to see this morning.

I have taken in what you have written but the Lord will have to fill in some of the gaps.

God bless you.

2009/11/1 12:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy