SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Baptism In The Holy Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sscr01

The Baptism In The Holy Spirit

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions; and also upon the servants and upon the handmaidens in those days will I pour out My Spirit." Joel 2:28,29.

After Jesus was anointed of the Holy Spirit, He went about healing the sick, and casting out demons by the power (dunamis, from which we get the word dynamite) of the Holy Spirit. Jesus told His disciples, "And behold, I send the promise of My Father upon you, but tarry in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power (dunamis) from on high." Lu 24:49. The Apostle Paul would later say, "And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." 1 Cor 2:4,5.

Jesus said, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; in My name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mk 16:17,18.

Paul instructed the church, "Now concerning Spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant...For to one is given by the Spirit the Word of wisdom; to another the Word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another the discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues..." 1 Cor 12:1-11.

"FOR HE THAT SPEAKETH IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE, SPEAKETH NOT UNTO MEN, BUT UNTO GOD: for no man understandeth him; HOWBEIT IN THE SPIRIT HE SPEAKETH MYSTERIES...he that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself but he that prophesieth edifieth the church...wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the Spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also; I will sing with the Spirit and I will sing with the understanding also...wherefore my brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." 1 Cor 14:1-40.

Some limit the speaking in tongues, to merely, preaching in other languages. First of all, the gifts of the Holy Spirit are supernatural - not talents or abilities. It would be blasphemous to say that sinners who speak more than one language are operating in the Holy Spirit. If one comes to the Word of God with a teachable heart, he will, readily, see in these passages that speaking and praying in tongues is to be part of the worship service.

Jude 20,21 tells us, "But ye beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, keeping yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life."

"For precept must be upon precept; line upon line; here a little and there a little: For with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to His people. To whom He said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest: and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear." Isa 28:10-12. Will you hear?

2009/10/31 7:58Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: The Baptism In The Holy Spirit

So many get hung up on the gift of tongues. Probably because a lack of understanding and those few who have misrepresented it to the church.

I know a man whose wife is baptist and doesn't enjoy "his prayer meetings" at their home but she will partake in them. She doesn't speak in tongues but she through these meetings, she has received the gift of interpretation. God gave it to her so that she would know that it was truly He that was speaking through them!

If God can do it for her, He will do it for anyone that asks for the gift of interpretation! He is no respecter of persons or denomination!

God is so good like that!

2009/10/31 11:12Profile
sscr01

Re:

It is all Scripture...We need the gifts of the Holy Spirit to reach this world.

By the power of the Holy Spirit, I have cast out demons, healed the sick, and in a group of three raised a man from the dead, just as Paul raised Eutychus in Acts 20:9-12.

My friend Pam was molested by her father at age four. She grew up to be a witch. She reversed a spell in my son's room. My daughter heard noises, and opened the door. She saw toys flying around the room. The next day, we anointed the room with oil and took authority over the devil, and he left!!!

She came to me with blood oozing from her eyes, mouth, ears, and nose. She asked me to pray for her. I did, and Jesus healed her!

That is what I like about the 700 Club. They operate in the Word of knowledge, many people are healed and the doctors are amazed!

Although, I come from an extended family of six, soon to be seven doctors, five nurses, one veterinarian, and one chemical engineer, I have trusted in the promises of God for over 41 years.

Jesus not only bore our sin, but, also, our sickness and pain.

When my daughter broke out in hives, her grandfather, a doctor, told her to refrain from certain foods. My other children just laughed and said, "Jesus would heal her." AND HE DID!

2009/10/31 11:23Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
sscr01 wrote:
It is all Scripture...We need the gifts of the Holy Spirit to reach this world.

Whether there were any gifts or not, would you still want the Holy Spirit?

Do you realize that He is the most forgotten one of the Godhead? (edit)I did not always believe this but now I do... He is a person who desires us to be filled [b]with Him[/b] and the gifts are secondary. (If I'm wrong, I apologize).(/edit)

[i]by their fruits ye shall know them.[/i] (Matt 7:16, 20); Jesus never said, "By their gifts you shall know them," no, it's by their fruits we shall know them. (Gal 5.22, 23)

I love all the gifts that He has entrusted me with but if I never received any, I would want my Comforter. I need my Comforter. Thank you Jesus for sending the Comforter!!

God bless you!

2009/11/3 6:44Profile
sscr01

Re:

Well, without the gifts of the Holy Spirit, we cannot reach the world: we need to heal the sick, cast out demons, and raise the dead.

I heard about a Hindu girl whose leg went dead. She heard, that, Jesus could heal her. She told her mom, that, she wanted Jesus to heal her. HE DID!!! They became Christians and threw away all their Hindu gods.

"But Peter said, Ananias why hath Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Ghost...thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God." Acts 5:3,4.

2009/11/3 6:49Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
sscr01 wrote:
Well, without the gifts of the Holy Spirit, we cannot reach the world: we need to heal the sick, cast out demons, and raise the dead.

I heard about a Hindu girl whose leg went dead. She heard, that, Jesus could heal her. She told her mom, that, she wanted Jesus to heal her. HE DID!!! They became Christians and threw away all their Hindu gods.

"But Peter said, Ananias why hath Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Ghost...thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God." Acts 5:3,4.

What does Acts 5.3-4 have to do with anything?

You wrote: "Well, without the gifts of the Holy Spirit, we cannot reach the world: we need to heal the sick, cast out demons, and raise the dead."

It should read, "Well, [b]without the Holy Spirit, we cannot reach the world[/b]"

Sister or brother, if you could read the Bible again, it's not [b]we[/b] who heal the sick, cast out demons and raise the dead.

It is the POWER of the Holy Spirit.

What is your opinion of the Him, the Holy Spirit? Without any gifts? (I challenge you to do a word study on the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost/Spirit and ask the Lord to enlighten you "IF" there is any enlightening to be done and I will do the same!) Do not include any 'gift' studies!!

*** PS: I've got to go to work where there is no computer access. Until we meet again tonight!!

God bless you in your studies!

2009/11/3 7:35Profile
sscr01

Re:

Well, we need the gifts of the Holy Spirit to reach the world.

What I like about the 700 Club, is they call out the "Word of knowledge" many people are healed, and the doctors are amazed!

This reveals the power of our Lord Jesus Christ to heal the sick, cast out devils and to raise the dead.

That is why the Lord has made them available to us!!!
It is the power of the Holy Spirit who works through us to heal the sick, cast out demons and raise the dead.

There are many Pentecostals in this world, who are healing the sick, casting out devils and, even, raising the dead.

That is why the Lord has made them available to us!!!

2009/11/3 7:53Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: sscr01

Brother or sister,

I have the gift of divers tongues. I have laid hands on the sick and the Lord has healed them. I have had other gifts operate through me. I have not said I didn't believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit!

What I have tried to say is that you can tell if a person is worshiping just the gifts or the Giver of the gifts by what they focus continually on.

The Trinity is not made up of:
1. God the Father
2. Jesus His son
3. the nine gifts

No, the Trinity is God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit!

Are you willing to do a study of the Comforter / Helper / Holy Spirit / Holy Ghost / Spirit?

I am.

God bless you!! Till tonight...

2009/11/3 12:56Profile
sscr01

Re:

He is the Triune God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
One in essence, three in person.

Jesus is referred to as Almighty in Rev 1:8;Before Abraham in John 8:58; The Creator in John 1:3;Emmanuel in Mt 1:23; God in Lu 1:47;Mighty God in Isa 9:6;The Everlasting Father in Isa 9:6;The Holy Spirit is referred to as God in Acts 5:3,4.

Obviously, you are not baptized in the Holy Spirit, and do not have the gifts of the Holy Spirit in your life. Do you have a problem with Acts 2? It is Scripture.

As I have stated, the world needs to see the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

When Moses disobeyed the Lord, God charged him with unbelief. When the children of Israel disobeyed the Lord, they could not enter into the Promised Land, because of unbelief. Heb 3:19. Unbelief comes out of an evil heart. Heb 3:12.

Disobedience = Unbelief
Obedience = Faith

Rom 16:26 refers to "the obedience of faith."

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," Is used interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "precepts," "statutes," "testimonies."

GOD'S WORD IS HIS LAW.

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."

Jesus said, "He that rejecteth Me and receiveth not My Words, hath one that judgeth him: THE WORD THAT I HAVE SPOKEN, THE SAME SHALL JUDGE HIM IN THE LAST DAY. For I have not spoken of Myself; but the Father which sent Me, He gave me a commandment what I should say and what I should speak. And I know that His commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore even as the Father said unto Me so I speak." John 12:48-50.

The Apostle John wrote, "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: FOR SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW."

The Apostle Paul wrote, "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: AND AS MANY AS HAVE SINNED IN THE LAW SHALL BE JUDGED BY THE LAW; For not the hearers of the law are just before God, BUT THE DOERS OF THE LAW SHALL BE JUSTIFIED." Rom 2:12,13.

"BUT BE YE DOERS OF THE WORD, AND NOT HEARERS, ONLY, DECEIVING YOURSELVES." Ja 1:22.

We are to obey His Word, alone. If you are not baptized in the Holy Spirit, you should be.

2009/11/3 14:19Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Amazed

sscr01,

did you not read my last post to you? I will be a blunt as you are with me... you cannot comprehend what you read or you only read what you want to thereby proving that you are hyper focused on the gifts and not on the Giver of the gifts.

I think I tried this conversation with you a few months back and it turned out exactly the same!

God bless ya anyway brother or sister!!

2009/11/3 16:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy