SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are sins forgiven before they are forsaken?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Are sins forgiven before they are forsaken?

If you guys can't refute or explain these Scriptures, why don't you just believe them?

Quote:
The Bible does not say that you repent because you are saved, but that you repent in order to get saved. It doesn't say that you forsake your sins because you have God's mercy, but that you forsake your sins in order to get God's mercy.

A sinner receives God's mercy AFTER they forsake their sins (Isaiah 55:7, Prov. 28:13). It is not that God grants us mercy and then we forsake our sins, but that we forsake our sins and then God grants us mercy.

Repenting of your sins comes BEFORE salvation (2 Cor. 7:10). It is not that we repent of our sins because we are saved, but that we repent of our sins in order to get saved.

There must be repentance before there is remission (Mark 1:4, Luke 3:3, Luke 24:47). It is not that God forgives us and then we repent, but that we repent and then God forgives us.

It is not that we repent of our sins because we are saved, but that we repent of our sins in order to get saved.

Jesus Christ came to call sinners to repentance (Matt. 9:13, Mark 2:17, Luke 5:32), which means that He came to call law breakers to change their mind about breaking God's law. The disciples of Jesus went everywhere preaching that men should repent (Mark 6:12) which means that they went everywhere preaching that men must change their mind about breaking God's law.

2009/10/27 0:40
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Maybe because repentance IS NOT the Gospel!!!!

Amen!!! The gospel is the good news of Jesus Christ and the prophesied kingdom of God that was long anticipated by the prophets. It's the good news of how Jesus Christ who was crucified for our sins, came back to life after three days, and triumphed over all the kingdoms of this world and all the forces of hell. It's the good news of how we can be delivered from this present evil age as we look forward to the resurrection of the dead, and the ages to come, with Jesus Christ reigning as the center of all things. Yeah... repentance is part of that overall picture. But, the single element is not the story itself.

2009/10/27 0:41Profile

Re:

Repentance is not the Gospel. The Gospel is the death, burial, and ressurection of Christ. Jesus died, not so we could have a license to sin (be saved while we are sinning), but so that if we forsake our sins (repent) we can have the mercy and forgiveness of God.

Again, if you don't believe that forsaking your sins comes before the forgiveness of sins, why can't you explain or refute all the verses I gave? You keep making posts but none of them address the issue.

2009/10/27 0:45
Leo_Grace

Re:

We all know where this will lead - his holiness truefaithsav will again, out of his ignorance and pride, assume that he is superior to all in this thread as he has done in other threads.

Guys, I think it would be best to leave his holiness truefaithsav alone with himself and his cohorts. Let them boast to each other of how holy they are.

Best stay away from his threads - they all lead to himself.

2009/10/27 0:46Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Again, if you don't believe that forsaking your sins comes before the forgiveness of sins, why can't you explain or refute all the verses I gave? You keep making posts but none of them address the issue.

You'll never forsake your sins unless you believe the gospel. And when you truly believe the gospel, you will forsake your sins. Why? Because you've believed the life altering claims of the gospel. What are those big claims? God has invaded this world through Jesus Christ, died on a cross for my sins, came back to life, and will soon come again. Each of these elements of the gospel, when believed, will drive men to true heartfelt repentance.

This is the beauty and logic of the gospel. I believe the gospel, and Christ has changed my mind and heart, how can I ever be the same again? How can I continue in sin? I was dead, but now I am alive. Everything is different. Old things have passed away, and all thin are now made new. That is the gospel, that is faith, and that is repentance.

2009/10/27 0:50Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Tell me Jesse, when are you going to get saved? You sin from time to time. Therefore, you have clearly not forsaken all of your sins and repented, and have not got saved, according to your logic. In fact, according to your logic, you'll never know if you are going to heaven until you get there.

2009/10/27 0:52Profile

Re:

Quote:
You'll never forsake your sins unless you believe the gospel. And when you truly believe the gospel, you will forsake your sins.

I completely agree. When we truly believe, we will entirely repent. If we don't entirely repent, we do not truly believe. If a person holds on to even one sin, they have yet to put their faith in Christ.

Believing and repenting are two sides of the same coin of faith. When we truly believe the Gospel, we will repent of our sins. And when we repent of all our sins, God will forgive us of all our sins.

Repenting + believing = true conversion.

If we trust God, we will obey God. If we don't obey God, we don't trust God.

2009/10/27 0:54

Re:

Salvation is not a one time thing (Once Saved, Always Saved). When we forsake all our sins, we have the mercy of God through Jesus Christ. If we go back to our sins, we go back to the wrath of God. But if we once again forsake our sins, we will once again be under the mercy of God through Jesus Christ.

It is not true that once you repent, you are always saved. Those who repent can backslide. Those who were once saved can be damned. Those who have been under the mercy of God can return to the wrath of God. The fact that a person might sin from time to time does not meant that they were never saved, but it is true that nobody is saved while they are sinning.

A true believer will live a habitually holy life. If he sins, he must repent or perish. If he doesn't repent, but dies in his impenitence, he will go to hell like Judas and Saul did. But if he repents, he will be restored like David and Peter were.

As long as we are walking on the narrow road, we are on our way to Heaven. But if we forsake Jesus and return to sin, we are once again walking on the broad road that leads to destruction.

Salvation depends upon our choice to persevere unto the end, as Jesus taught.

2009/10/27 0:58
IWantAnguish

Re:

Do you love God with all your heart soul and mind 24/7?

As well as love your neighbor as yourself 24/7?

2009/10/27 1:12Profile
savannah

Re: new life in an old body

Sound words are of no avail to some,but wisdom is known of her children.

Therefore I offer what follows by Bill S. as a contribution to this thread and its readers:

I was there in the chambers and on the streets with them. I saw Jesus waiting in a groom's chamber. The bride was in another chamber. He was preparing to go in to see her. While He delayed, she was drawn to the window and became interested in the activities in the street. The appeal of the street tugged at her harlot heart until she wandered out there herself.

Soon after she walked out onto the streets she was raped. Her shame deceived her into believing that she had no other life but to become a prostitute, which she did. She was in a house of prostitution, locked behind huge, solid-oak, medieval doors. They looked formidable. They were bolted through with a braided kind of thing with copper on it and different kinds of ironwork.

Jesus went looking for her. He knew where she was. As He approached the doors, demons howled and hissed at Him and tried to rush Him, yet were cowardly toward Him. He opened the doors and went in. She was really a mess, and He pleaded with her to come with Him. In her guilt and shame, she refused, and so He left.

He waited a time and visited her again. Still, she wouldn't look Him in the face. Once again, He left her. As He was waiting in His chamber, fires of passion and anger suddenly flashed in His eyes. He stormed out of His chamber and strode down the street, approaching the house where His bride in harlotry abided.

Everyone saw Him coming. They fled to get out of His way. The demons took one look at Him and ran ahead of Him to lock the doors, hoping to prevent Him from entering. Without hesitation or pause in his stride, He hit those doors with the palms of His hands. POW! They exploded. Splinters went everywhere.

He walked in and found her withered in shame. Her face was hidden in her hands. This time was different though. This time He didn't ask her to come with Him. This time He grasped her hand, led her out, and took her back to the bride's chamber while she was still in her filth stained dress.

I could see the passion and love He had for her in His eyes. Jesus saw her only one way. He saw her as a virgin. Yet, she wouldn't even look at Him. He reached out, touched her gently, and lifted her face toward His. Hesitantly, she slowly lifted her eyes to look into His. He saw her beyond her shame and moved her beyond her shame. The moment her eyes connected with His, they were filled with the same passion for Him that He had for her.

I was right in there with them. I could almost see into their faces. I backed off and saw that she had changed. She was beautiful. She had the same radiance as did Jesus. They were one. There was no longing or attraction for anyone or anything other than for one another. She had eyes only for Him. She looked like Him, and He looked like her. They were standing in one light. He was not diminished at all, but she was increased in Him. Even though she looked like Him and had the same fire in her eyes as He had in His, she was still under His feet, still under His authority. That's what made it as beautiful as it was.

NOTE: This would also have just as well been posted on two other current threads, one where John MacArthur and Ray Comfort are being called heretics and the other which asks, 'Was the Apostle Paul a Hypocrite'.

2009/10/27 1:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy