SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should Christians celebrate festivals of the OT?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Should Christians celebrate festivals of the OT?

Are we called to still hold the festivals written in the bible? IF we now are partakers of the promise and part of the seed, should we celebrate those festivals? To replace them with Christmas and Easter...which seems to be the christian celebration.

2009/10/26 6:59

Re: Should Christians celebrate festivals of the OT?

Someone just sent me a link to George Warnock's book 'Feast of Tabernacles'. Perhaps you've already read it, and that why you ask. However, I suspect you haven't read it yet, or, you wouldn't be asking.

[url=http://www.georgewarnock.com/feast-main.html]Feast of Tabernacles[/url]

Interesting that this book was written nearly sixty years ago. How much more the message is relevant for today, I hope you will judge for yourself.

2009/10/26 7:04
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Should Christians celebrate festivals of the OT?

If one chooses to do so, they are free to do so:

Romans 14:6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

But, the observation of those days is not an obligation under the new covenant:

Colossians 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day-- 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Indeed, the apostle Paul was worried over the Galatians, who thought it was obligatory under the new covenant, and a condition for their salvation. For such men he said:

Galatians 4:10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain.

2009/10/26 7:08Profile

Re:

Quote:

Alive-to-God wrote:

Someone just sent me a link to George Warnock's book 'Feast of Tabernacles'. Perhaps you've already read it, and that why you ask. However, I suspect you haven't read it yet, or, you wouldn't be asking.

[url=http://www.georgewarnock.com/feast-main.html]Feast of Tabernacles[/url]

Interesting that this book was written nearly sixty years ago. How much more the message is relevant for today, I hope you will judge for yourself.

Never heard of the book until now. Perhaps I will read it. It was only a thought I have had concerning the feasts.

2009/10/26 8:24

Re:

agree...wondering why so many feel they should follow the feasts. Suppose it is unanswerable! :-)

2009/10/26 8:36
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
...wondering why so many feel they should follow the feasts.

There is something about observing a religious ritual that gives a person a sense of piety, a connectedness to a deity, if you will, for lack of a better description. One can become so dedicated about the observance of rituals that you forget the original intent. The Jews in the OT had this problem - big time.

The NT has a limited set of rituals to be observed. They are called ordinances designed to keep a person aware of a deeper principle. In and of themselves they do not impart redemption but they serve as an enabling tool to help us. And I suspect we may not know all the implications that obedience affords its observers.

My thoughts,
ginnyrose

2009/10/26 9:17Profile

Re:

I dont think there is any harm in celebrating the OT festivals simply for a sense of Biblical heritage, or to help your children understand the OT better... so long as we are not decieved into thinking that in doing so we are gaining favor with God, or it has anything to do with salvation.

If do so thinking it makes us more spiritual, or earns us favor or even salvation... then we are deceived.

Krispy

2009/10/26 9:51
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Agreed ginny. There are a lot of people who like to make good show in regard to outward appearences and boast in the flesh.

2009/10/26 9:51Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Celebrating the OT feasts is unnecessary:

Mt 22:37-40 Jesus replied: [color=CC3300]“ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ [b]All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments[/b].”[/color]

Obey these commandments of God and you will have fulfilled all the law and prophets.

2009/10/26 10:16Profile

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Quote:
...wondering why so many feel they should follow the feasts.

There is something about observing a religious ritual that gives a person a sense of piety, a connectedness to a deity, if you will, for lack of a better description. One can become so dedicated about the observance of rituals that you forget the original intent. The Jews in the OT had this problem - big time.

The NT has a limited set of rituals to be observed. They are called ordinances designed to keep a person aware of a deeper principle. In and of themselves they do not impart redemption but they serve as an enabling tool to help us. And I suspect we may not know all the implications that obedience affords its observers.

My thoughts,
ginnyrose

good thoughts!!

2009/10/26 10:37

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy