SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Praying in the spirit?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Choo

Praying in the spirit?

My pastor told us at bible study last night that to him "praying in the spirit" means not "regarding sin in your heart" and although I agree that if we do, the Bible says that the Lord will not hear us, to me this is not what it means to pray in the spirit.

Would you please give me your definition of what it means to pray in the spirit?

2009/10/22 8:09Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Praying in the spirit?

"Praying in the Spirit" doesn't have anything to do with whether there is sin in one's heart or not. Praying in the Spirit is simply praying according to the prompting & leading of the Holy Spirit, allowing Him to direct you in how to pray, and what to pray for. You can see such talked about in Romans 8, where Paul talks about the intercessory role the Holy Spirit can play in our prayer lives.

2009/10/22 8:14Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:
"Praying in the Spirit" doesn't have anything to do with whether there is sin in one's heart or not. Praying in the Spirit is simply praying according to the prompting & leading of the Holy Spirit, allowing Him to direct you in how to pray, and what to pray for. You can see such talked about in Romans 8, where Paul talks about the intercessory role the Holy Spirit can play in our prayer lives.

I agree. In fact, one of the benefits of praying in the Spirit is that God, through the Spirit, can point out certain sins in our lives that we may have overlooked, to help us confess and repent. Man has a tendency to be blind to his own sins, so God's Spirit helps us in this area.

Perhaps your pastor meant that the Spirit is unable to move in us if we don't give way to the Spirit, like when we pray with an attitude of self-pride. When we are filled with ourselves, there is no room in our hearts for the Spirit to move.

If we have sinned and we pray in full submission, sincerely seeking God, we can pray in the Spirit, and He will help us regain the path of righteousness. If we pray with an attitude of pride and sinfulness, not seeking God but seeking gain for ourselves through prayer, then the Spirit cannot move in us.

2009/10/22 11:13Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I think the best way to think of "praying in the Spirit" is to be "praying prohpetically."

2009/10/22 11:18Profile

Hi Choo,

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the mind; I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the mind.

In these particular passages it seems that praying in or praying with the spirit refers to praying in tongues..........Frank

2009/10/22 11:20
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because [6] the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
Rom 8:26,27

But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit Jude 20

Praying in the Spirit i believe is possible when you are in the Spirit and walk in the Spirit.If you confess your sins and walk in the light the blood of Jesus will cleans us of all sin, but still you are weak even though you have peace with God. The gentle Spirit as a divine Person comes to your help and support to lead you in prayer according to the will of God.

He gives your burdens and compassion for the lost to pray for their salvation and as you believe the promises of God, the Holy Ghost brings an insurance to you before hand that this people will be saved and you have the assurance that its a matter of time before these persons believe Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

Praying in the Spirit it means you are an intercessor with God for the saved and unsaved and you have the spiritual stength to fight against the devil and overcome sin by the grace of God. God can give you a burden for a believer that is goin thru some tough time and as you fight your spiritual battle with confidence that the victory is won already on the cross, God comes to the assistance of that brother wherever he is. You are not aware of the difficulties and hard circumstances your brother is going thru but the Spirit gives you the revelation about him.

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the mind; I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the mind. 1Cor 14:14,15

As for this text in 1corinthians 14 paul is talking about the gift of the Holy Spirit, and there a big difference between praying in the Spirit and praying in tongues.Not every believer has the gift of tongues but every believer if is in Christ has the Holy Spirit and can pray in the Spirit.

"Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words", because of our weakness the Spirit comes to our help to pray to God for our spiritual condition. What a great mystery and privilege, we have two divine persons praying for us, Christ as our advocate intercedes for the elect of God in heaven and the Spirit thru us intercedes to the Father for us.

"Praying in your most holy faith", we need also to pray in faith and to aproach the throne of grace with confidence and holy boldness beacause Jesus has opened the way to the Father.

Blessings,
Redi

P. S. This post is edited and corrected

2009/10/22 13:38Profile
Choo

Thank you for your responses.

2009/10/24 10:55Profile
Theophila

What appolus [sp?], kingjimmy and leo_grace said.
I see praying in the Spirit as "praying with the Spirit' i.e. praying what the Holy Spirit desires you to say to the Father to cause His purposes to be accomplished in your life or others.

I believe if we're yielded, the Spirit of God gives us words to pray to the Father since He knows the mind of the Father.

We all probably know someone whose prayers always seem to be answered with a 'yea'...i believe this is the secret; praying what the Spirit desires. This could be in our understanding or in a 'prayer language'/tongue.

Grace.

2009/10/24 13:45Profile
HeartSong

Re:

It is praying as one is led by the Spirit. It is focusing my heart upon His and letting Him come forth and flow through. It can go from sorrow, to joy, to tears and then singing. There is often a very heavy burden that actually makes my heart hurt and then sometimes He comes forth with the sweetest singing that I have ever heard. It is His Spirit touching mine.

2009/10/24 13:48Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Quote:
Would you please give me your definition of what it means to pray in the spirit?

Depending on which type of fellowship you attend, the interpretation of "praying in the Spirit" will vary.

For example, many teach that praying in the spirit equates to praying in tongues. This is because they have been taught this by another man, who was taught this by another, and on and on it goes...all the way back to the turn of the last century when the fascination and manifestation of glossalalia initially began.

But after removing charismatic lenses, and reading the Word of God in its contextual entirety, you can't help but wonder if anyone prior to the 1901 Topeka Kanasas phenomenon actually prayed in the spirit.

Other denominations have their own theological interpretations on this verse. It sounds to me that the one you bring here also had a similar genesis - albeit, a very strange one. I've never heard it explained that way, and, like the classical pentecostal interpretation, it falters when brought up to the full light of the Word of God in all of its healthy contextuality.

When we [i]walk[/i] in the Spirit, we are not necessarily speaking in other tongues, are we? We must apply the same principle when we [i]pray[/i] in the Spirit, for the Bible itself makes no distinction as to "how" one must do this. Praying in the Spirit simply means being led by the Spirit while we pray - that is, praying through the mind of Christ, through the wisdom of Christ, allowing the Spirit to gently and convictingly align our wills with His. We know from scripture that the knowledge of God's will can come only via the Holy Spirit, Who alone knows the heart of the Father in any matter, along with the deep things and unutterable groanings of which He unites to our own spirits during Spirit-led prayer.

It is irrelevent whether the outward manifestation during this is tongues, tears, or prostrated silence. All these are viable; but none are exclusive or required. As far as inward experiences and/or methods, I have found that any conscious effort on my part to either try to ignore or improve the condition of my heart will actually work to [i]impede[/i] the Holy Spirit, and thus constipate the work of grace God is seeking to do in me.

2009/10/26 14:10Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy