SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Leaving my Church.... going somewhere else...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Personally speaking, I cannot help but seek out other Christians and fellowships to partake of. No matter how perfect, or how lacking, so long as Jesus walks in the midst of their candlestick, that's all that matters to me. Would I like to find a great fellowship to be a part of? You bet. But, I feel that ultimately that I'm to only go wherever the Lord tells me to go, no matter how good or how bad that local fellowship might be. Ultimately, when I go to a church, I look to bring more to that fellowship than receive. It's about what I can give, not get :-)

2009/10/12 9:52Profile

Re:

Quote:
I feel that ultimately that I'm to only go wherever the Lord tells me to go, no matter how good or how bad that local fellowship might be.

Amen, that is a good attitude to have.
Quote:
I cannot help but seek out other Christians and fellowships to partake of

I had to stop doing that because I was frustrating myself to no end. I'd seek and would not find. It was absolutely disheartening. I finally realized that God wants to do the leading. For sanity sake I had to leave it up to Him. When I see a brother, they would say or I would say, "I was just asking the LORD where you were, I haven't seen you lately, and here you are", and man the fellowship is great. Another time when I met a brother who was at his lowest point in his life said to me when I came to his door, "There is a God!, I just prayed that you'd come". Or another time when I was in bed when the Holy Spirit said "get up and go over town". I went not knowing what to expect. I just walked and coming around the corner was a brother filled with rage because his wife was with another man. We talked and I spent the night with him talking and his spirit quieted. I am done trying to lead myself and finding people to fellowship with, it doesn't work for me, I get a brick wall. But when I leave it to Jesus, doors open.

Blessings Brother. :-)

2009/10/12 10:21
kingdomcome

Re:

Finding a church can be very difficult. I highly recommend taking some time to study the word and letting the LORD lead you (not that you are not doing this already). Discover the truth about why most churches meet on Sundays. Let scripture and the Holy Spirit guide you. What we do as followers of Christ should be on what the bible says not on tradition. Remember the fourth commandment. I will pray for you. God Bless.

2009/10/12 10:22Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Brothers and Sisters,

This is something that has been weighing on my heart for sometime. I am discouraged and frightened by how some of this board can be completely separated from a local church body and somehow think they are obeying God. I do not say this lightly, but, if you are purposefully separated from a local church and are not making effort to join yourself to a local church, you are in sin, and you must repent immediately. I am greatly distressed that this is even practiced, but is actually seen as the will of God, because of some supposed revelation from the Lord.

When Paul wrote to the Corinthian church, some of the people in that fellowship were having sexual relationships with their own family members. Yet, did Paul tell people to separate themselves from this assembly? No, he did not. Of how much lesser matters are believers leaving local churches in our day? Because they don't think the people are spiritual enough for them? Because they don't like the preacher? Because they have some doctrinal disagreements?

I'm telling you, brothers and sisters, if this is your case, you are outside of the New Testament example of Christianity. All examples of believers in the Scriptures were associated with local assemblies.

John tells us the mark of genuine salvation is a love for the brothers. It is easy to love someone from a distance, or over the Internet. But, can you love someone on a weekly basis who you disagree with, or who is unlovable to you?

I do not say this lightly, but if you are not connected to a local church assembly, and are not making effort to join yourself to one (either through searching or attemping to move to another town), I do not believe you have Scriptural authority to have assurance of your eternal salvation. It is a Scriptural, fundamental mark of true Christianity to be joined to a local assembly of believers.

With a heavy heart...

2009/10/12 10:24Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Ideally, I would like to find a house church network to belong to in this area, or at least a church where it is obvious that recognizes the value of a larger Sunday gathering, that we should ultimately follow the model established by the Lord and His apostles.

2009/10/12 10:26Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Great thoughts Taylor. I agree with a lot of what you said. I think sometimes we can have a schismatic heart about these issues, as we refuse to have fellowship with those we deem to be less spiritual than us. Most sermons I have ever heard or read about how to pick a church have almost no Biblical basis to them. i.e. Find a bible believing, spirit-filled church that is non-seeker friendly, full of prayer warriors, that preaches 'yada, yada, yada.'

I think the emphasis of the NT would be that it is more important that we belong to a local fellowship than finding a church of folks who are like-minded and embody a certain ideal. Like-mindedness is something we should strive for with other brethren, but sometimes that same mindset may not initially exist, until we enter into the iron-sharpening-iron process. As Art Katz taught, it is that process that God uses to help shape us into the people He wants us to become.

2009/10/12 10:37Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

About the only thing that I can think of that is important in choosing a church is our proximity to other brethren. Clearly in the NT, local believers fellowshipped with local believers. Granted, part of this was due to the difficulty of traveling 20 miles to another city to "have church," as it was not as simple as simply jumping into a car and going.

But for the past 5 years, I have attended a church where the closest brother to me was 20 miles away. Even though only 20 miles, it still has made it very difficult for me to fulfill the things God has put on my heart to do for the church, especially since I work 50-60 hours a week on average. This time, I will probably only search out a church in my own town. Granted, that gives me dozens of churches to pick from. But, I think proximity of distance is important, so that we might share our "life together."

2009/10/12 10:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
Because they don't think the people are spiritual enough for them? Because they don't like the preacher? Because they have some doctrinal disagreements?

Dear Brother/Sister, try not to be grieved. For me, the above had no bearing as to why I left, it was God. I have prayed and even fasted, and I assure you that I will not step under any man's ministry unless it's from the LORD. I have lead myself many times before and have miserably failed, I will not make that mistake again.

Now be of good courage. Use this time of grieving and pray for me that I might find that place where the LORD would have me be. If His will is to remain presently content, or under the leadership then that door will open. But please do not be ignorant of this one thing, I have been seeking, I am aware of what the bible is saying. I do not believe that I am in sin, I cannot be blamed if my LORD will not reveal to me as to what ministry I should be under, that is His responsibility, because we are not our own, we have been bought with a price. He has led me to other ministries before, He shall again. Our lot is to seek His Face, wait upon Him for whatever we have petitioned Him for.

2009/10/12 11:07
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

DeepThinker,

I urge you to not place the blame for this situation on the Lord. The Lord does not act contrary to His Word, and He does not lead people to act contrary to the examples in His Word.

In the Scriptures, do we find Christians praying until the Lord "led" them to a suitable local church? From my understanding, they simply joined themselves to a local church. There was no long separation from the local assembly of believers.

KingJimmy and DeepThinker,

If I can be of any assistance to you in helping you find a local church, please let me know through PM. I would be glad to help in your search.

I realize "Taylor" can be a man or a woman's name, so for clarification, I am a man.

With care in Christ...

2009/10/12 11:40Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Leaving my Church.... going somewhere else...

Quote:
Please keep me in prayer. Today the Lord spoke to me at the end of our church service that he needs me somewhere else. I've gone to my present church for five years, and have been greatly blessed there. I don't know where the Lord wants me to go now.

Jimmy,

I will pray for you.
Also,you probably know this already but I just wanted to remind you of some wonderful advice that comes from George Muller that I have found to be very helpful...

SEEKING GOD'S WILL

1. Be slow to take new steps in the Lord's service, or in your business, or in your families: weigh everything well; weigh all in the light of the Holy Scriptures and in the fear of God.

2. Seek to have no will of your own, in order to ascertain the mind of God, regarding any steps you propose taking, so that you can honestly say you are willing to do the will of God, if He will only please to instruct you.

3. But when you have found out what the will of God is, seek for His help, and seek it earnestly, perseveringly, patiently, believingly, expectantly; and you will surely in His own time and way obtain it.

In Christ,

Ron

2009/10/12 11:45Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy