SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Raising Children? Help!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Raising Children? Help!

Hi everyone,

my wife and I recently had our first child. We're both pretty young at nineteen. However, we want to please the Lord in all things, especially with our children. However, since we're so young, we don't really know what to do.

Our daughter is about nine months and it's our first child. As a father, I feel like I've already been a failure as a father. I know the Bible says to use the rod and I know that we should raise them from the time they come out of the womb. However, my daughter whines alot. She cries so much that it's really frustrates me alot because I want to train her up in the right way, in a way that pleases the Lord but no matter what I try, it's like I don't know what to do.

I'd appreciate all your help. I read that thread on spanking and found alot of people here might be able to help.

Thanks

2009/10/9 3:04
Leo_Grace

Re: Raising Children? Help!

Hi. My wife and I have three wonderful kids who were raised in the Biblical way. My first child was a lot like your daughter - always fussing and crying almost from birth. But at nine months he was already a quiet and contented child. We only spanked for misbehavior, and fussing and crying at nine months is not misbehavior unless it is part of a tantrum.

We made it a point to always - and I mean always - be physically close to our babies. They need the physical warmth of a parent's embrace early on to gain assurance that they are loved, and that their needs will be met. I do hope your daughter is being breast-fed. The young ones always slept in our room where they could see us and know we were close at hand. At even the slightest whimper, we would go to the child and hold it close, rocking the baby until he fell asleep.

What I have never liked in western culture is the practice of placing babies in baskets. They should be held in your arms as much as possible until they themselves signal that they are satisfied. At that young age, they are also prone to colic. Try thumping her tummy gently with two fingers and if it sounds something like thumping an inflated balloon, she has gas pains. This can be alleviated by carrying the baby tummy down in your arms so the gas easily escapes.

Raising a fussy baby can be difficult, but it only becomes a problem if you make it a problem. I still recall rocking my son in my arms in a rhythmic dance and singing softly to him in our garden (for fresh air) at 2 AM so my wife could get some sleep. If the baby's weight becomes a problem, a good solid rocking chair with armrests and some cushions/pillows can help. You can actually get a lot of rest dozing off-and-on as you rock your baby in a chair. Don't worry - this difficult stage will pass. It won't last forever. Meanwhile, you'll just have to put in the effort as a parent.

I hope this helps.

2009/10/9 4:27Profile

Re:

i'm not a father but their is a thing that is bugged me is that parents let their kids freely watch tv, play ungodly video games and just do everything that is ungodly, if you let them do this stuff they will forsake all the biblical teachings most likely. I have seen it. I know that is off topic but that is just a warning of what i have seen.

2009/10/9 4:55
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Please, Please, Please! listen through this entire audio series one a night together and let God show you from the word of God how to raise a godly home!

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/revival/featuredresources1.gif[/img]

[b]MUST HEAR: The Godly Home by Denny Kenaston (series)[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28568&forum=35

2009/10/9 4:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy