SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What doctrines are essential for salvation and which aren't?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
anonymity

Re:

You say these are essential for salvation, but how do you know?

Also, you did not mention all the other things like believing you can become a god ect as to whether they were essential.

2009/10/8 18:37Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
you can become a god

That is nowhere in Scripture

Are you asking this for yourself or for someone else, I'm curious?

2009/10/8 18:43Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
anonymity wrote:
You say these are essential for salvation, but how do you know?

Also, you did not mention all the other things like believing you can become a god etc as to whether they were essential.

I only listed the essential biblical doctrines.

Believing you can become a god is not biblical.

I would categorize that as "essential un-salvation doctrines".
The ones which might make voide your salvation even if you believe the ones I listed.
:-(

2009/10/8 18:49Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

[i]Lk 23:40-43 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.’” Jesus answered him, [color=CC3300]“I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”[/color][/i]

I don't think that any doctrine or belief system is necessary. This criminal was accepted by Jesus even before his death, his resurrection, his ascension, or his promise to return.

All that is essential is true life-changing faith in Christ and total submission to his Lordship. Of course, if there is time, true faith will lead to a hunger for the Word, and to a knowledge of God's will as revealed by the Holy Spirit. In this case, the criminal had no time for any of that, but he was saved.

2009/10/8 20:20Profile
anonymity

Re:

Maybe with some essential doctrines there are no scriptures saying you must believe them to be saved.

I do think of one in 1st John saying if Jesus did not come in the flesh it is anti Christ.

I think maybe we just have to discern the importance of the doctrine and believe that if one has the Holy Spirit that they therefore could not be so far off from major truths.

However, I think in some cases that there may be some mercy depending on ignorance, raised up in compromise, ect.

Also, some major doctrines may link together with doctrines that deal with the Gospel. For instance if Jesus were not God then how can His sacrifice be sufficient.

However, I believe I am still asking to some degree what doctrines are essential and what aren't. If one says they are going to become a god, or that Christ is not God, then I surely can see why that would be essential. But, what about other doctrines like if you hold to a Oneness view of God and not a Trinitarian one or other like that that may not seem to touch the Gospel ect but are just mainline creeds?

2009/10/8 20:21Profile
anonymity

Re:

Leo, hmm that is an interesting thought.

And, you know many are raised up in false doctrine so it is hard to get past it. I mean I remember witnessing to JW's and it messed with my head a lot. Or think of the saints in China who had no Bible's and had a lot of troubles with doctrines.

2009/10/8 20:22Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

"...Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

"...Believe on [b]the Lord Jesus Christ[/b] and thou shalt be saved..." (Acts 16.30,31)

...Not on a creed or system of doctrines, but on a Person.

2009/10/8 22:18Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Leo wrote:

Quote:
I don't think that any doctrine or belief system is necessary. This criminal was accepted by Jesus even before his death, his resurrection, his ascension, or his promise to return.

All that is essential is true life-changing faith in Christ and total submission to his Lordship. Of course, if there is time, true faith will lead to a hunger for the Word, and to a knowledge of God's will as revealed by the Holy Spirit. In this case, the criminal had no time for any of that, but he was saved.

AD wrote:
Quote:
"...Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"...Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved..." (Acts 16.30,31)

...Not on a creed or system of doctrines, but on a Person.

AMEN AND AMEN. This is exactly what I was thinking when I read this post.

Now correct Doctrine is VERY important and what we inderstand and believe about Jesus Christ, who He is and what He did is very important....BUT if we think we can be [b]saved[/b] by believing doctrine....then God help us!

I would accept that it is possoble for someone to have completely wrong thinking about Christ and His redemptive work and therefore not be saved. For example if one were to believe that Jesus was a just [i]good example[/i] to follow and that was all, he could not be saved as he would not recognise his utter sinfulness and that only the sacrifice of Jesus Christ could release him from that debt. However if we go down the road of [i]having the right doctrine[/i]to be saved, then we miss the point as has been stated by Leo and ADisciple, It is believing [b]on[/b] (not about) the [b]person[/b] of Jesus Christ in all that He truely is. Acts 16:31.

Otherwise we will be in danger of producing a dead fundamentalism, which people like Tozer and Duncam Campbell warned about. Having all the right doctrines, but no heart submission to the lordship of christ.....God forbid!

2009/10/9 5:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The person of Jesus Christ is essential to salvation, that is it!

Do you have Him in your or not? or are you reprobate?

2009/10/9 5:16Profile
anonymity

Re:

Quote:
"...Sirs, what must I do to be saved? "...Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved..." (Acts 16.30,31) ...Not on a creed or system of doctrines, but on a Person.

Amen.

2009/10/9 17:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy