SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The role of the church is not to produce revival; but to prepare for it.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

The role of the church is not to produce revival; but to prepare for it.

I noted this quote from a friend and though it fitting, in the light of recent engagements here at SI;

Archie Parrish writes;

Prepare for the Way of the LORD

"As we have seen, to be revived is to wake up and live! It is like a prairie fire ignited by lightening bolts from heaven. In the Great Awakening we saw that revival is in every way supernatural and extraordinary.

Vast numbers of people of all ages and all ranks and degrees were transformed. They were ignorant and learned. Some were crude and disorderly; others were the worst possible sinners, sensual worldlings. Those who once treated this work with contempt became its champions. Many who merely professed formal religion suddenly expressed deep passionate love for God.
Revival is a God-wrought transformation in the inner person that reaches into the total fabric of life and culture. It appears when the Body of Christ, the Church, is at the brink of death. The heart is beating its last, and so God Himself takes direct action. Like a divine emergency room doctor, the Holy Spirit applies supernatural CPR, breathing fresh air of heaven into the lungs of the Church. He massages the heart until there is again a strong, healthy heartbeat.

Revival or awakening is the extraordinary, sovereign work of God. The role of the Church is not to produce revival but to prepare for it."

Taken from the Epilogue of the book "The Spirit of Revival"-Discovering the wisdom of Jonathan Edwards by Archie Parrish

2009/10/6 18:15
ThePilgrim

Re: The role of the church is not to produce revival; but to prepare for it.

Tom Wrote: Revival or awakening is the extraordinary, sovereign work of God. The role of the Church is not to produce revival but to prepare for it."

This is indeed true!!! Amen Bro.

2009/10/6 18:22Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

Revival or awakening is the extraordinary, sovereign work of God. The role of the Church is not to produce revival but to prepare for it."

I don't mean to sound rude or any such thing, but I just don't see any meaning in this statement. I keep scratching my head wondering, "huh?" It sounds nice, but if you break it down, I think I would have to disagree with this statement, no matter how you turn.

The goal of the church is not to produce revival or prepare for it. There is no such thing taught in all of Scripture. The goal of the church is to walk in the divine Life that it shares with Christ, and to grow into Him who is the head. It is to rescue sinners from this present evil age, the ages to come, and to prepare them as a bride adorned for her Husband. The purpose of the church is for it to come to perfection, a mature man.

2009/10/6 18:28Profile

Re: The role of the church!

The Pilgrim: ...ARCHIE PARRISH WROTE THAT PILGRIM!

"Revival or awakening is the extraordinary, sovereign work of God. The role of the Church is not to produce revival but to prepare for it."

Archie Parrish

I also thought a hearty amen and amen!

2009/10/6 18:28
ThePilgrim

Re:

Did not matter who wrote it to me...Truth is Truth.

Amen again!!!

2009/10/6 18:32Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Again, not to sound rude. But, is there any biblical basis to such a statement? If we are going to be a revived people, we must be a people of the Book. I hear something that has sounds amen-ish, but really... is it? It sounds Biblically dubious.

2009/10/6 18:50Profile

Re: Is preparation for revival possible?

"I don't mean to sound rude or any such thing, but I just don't see any meaning in this statement. I keep scratching my head wondering, "huh?" It sounds nice, but if you break it down, I think I would have to disagree with this statement, no matter how you turn."
King Jimmy

When I think of preparation, I think of the disciples wait in the upper room, and then I think "What has the church done, and what can she do to prepare, for something that only God can give?

"Revival or awakening is the extraordinary, sovereign work of God. The role of the Church is not to produce revival but to prepare for it."

One of the things we can do is to watch, or tarry, before the Lord until His promise does come, like Daniel and Nehemiah and Ezra waited and prayed at the time of the Promise of the restoration from captivity. This is preparation, as Solomon prayed at the dedication of the Temple. We humble ourselves, in a spirit of dependence and trust in His power alone, and believe for the promise, with cries of mercy.

They were commanded to wait, or old English, "to tarry", until power from on high come; they were endued with power.

Acts 2

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivette, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.

And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.

.................................................................................................
These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

..................................................................................................

Why , I ask you were they praying at all? The word "supplication" definitely implies intercession, so I ask you WHY?, if it were not that divine unction that humbles us, and notches us to RECEIVE the PROMISE, uniting His actions with our prayer, and then! the divine mystery of UNITY!; Preparation of ONE SINGLE and HOLY HEART to receive his Promise.

!!!!! And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.!!!!!!!
The Temple was prepared; Then the Promise!

"And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. "

This was without question the first and great revival in church history. what might have happened IF the disciples had not obeyed to "TARRY?" Prayer for revival can be work, and yet in some mysterious way, fit into the very thing that God is doing. He will only rest within a holy temple, and He is jealous. Maybe this also is a ministry in preparing Him a resting place.

We cannot work up revival, as so many have assumed, with the "2 week revival" that the church bulletin says is coming in November. In this sense our brother said what he said , that we cannot produce it, as much as we would desire it, and brought forth the maxim that we must also prepare for it.

2009/10/6 19:10
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Quote:

"As we have seen, to be revived is to wake up and live! It is like a prairie fire ignited by lightening bolts from heaven. In the Great Awakening we saw that revival is in every way supernatural and extraordinary.

You know when you post on here you get those who will disagree! I don't know if I agree with it or not! It very well might be both.

I don't think anyone would attempt to argue that God cannot work in the "crude and disorderly or even the worst sinner!" But let's look at the following...

[i]Let us rejoice, let us be glad with all our hearts. Let us give him the glory, for the wedding-day of the Lamb has come, [b]and his bride has made herself ready.[/b][/i]
Re 19:7

This goes along with the five foolish virgins and the five wise virgins. Who were prepared and who wasn't?

Who led the 1904 Welsh revival? Was it the crude and disorderly or the worst sinner? No, it was Evan Roberts who was prepared and not preparing!

The five wise virgins were ready for the groom, nothing left to do but wait! [b]The bride has made herself ready [/b]and is waiting for her groom, not making herself ready!

It's probably just semantics but it's something to ponder upon... a challenging ponder!

God bless brother Tom

2009/10/6 22:44Profile
JoanM

Re: The role of the church is not to produce revival; but to prepare for it

I have thought quite a bit about this tonight although it is way past my bed-time. One difficulty is that man's perspective differs from God's (both to us and in scripture). Lysa indirectly touches on that regarding Even Roberts.

Maybe it would be enough to ask if you think scripture supports prayer as a preparation of man for revival (Psalm 85:6, a solemn assembly, the upper-room already mentioned)? Is obedience a preparation (2 Chronicles 7:14, if you consider that is revival)? Most of the scripture coming to mind is from the first chapter of John but that may be because I am swimming there in study and prayer (John 1:23, Isa. 40:3, Mal 3:1 etc.).

I appreciated the Rev.19: 7 reference.

In discussing this, it could help to recall that the writer was emphasizing first the Sovereignty of God in revival, the authorship of God (not man) or however else you would say it. And of course he said [u]role not goal[/u].

More later …. maybe

2009/10/7 4:16Profile

Re: The prepared or the preparing? Make ourselves ready?

Wow, Lysa, Joan: Thanks.

A very inspiring comment. Whether or not the bride had made her self ready at some point in time, it still stands to reason that there was a process to attain it; IE, a time of preparation. The parable of the 10 virgins likewise.

If I'm reading you right, your saying that the prepared are the ones that receive revival, and that possibly God acted with it BECAUSE they prepared so.

We know that the Father uses prayer from men as a portion of his will and acts. Remember the bowls in heaven that held the "prayers of the saints" in Heaven? in Revelation 5:8?

"When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints."
Revelation 8:2-4 (New American Standard Bible)

2And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were given to them.

3Another angel came and stood at the altar, holding a golden censer; and much incense was given to him, so that he might add it to the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar which was before the throne.

4And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, went up before God out of the angel's hand.

5Then the angel took the censer and filled it with the fire of the altar, and threw it to the earth; and there followed peals of thunder and sounds and flashes of lightning and an earthquake.

[b]Could this be the fires of revival cast upon the earth, that were but the prayers and intercessions of God's lonely and desperate people, praying in a time of FAMINE?[/b]

It appears that our real preparation is accomplished before the Throne.

2009/10/7 9:24

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy