SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : MUST READ: Reviving What? by Merle Weaver

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 MUST READ: Reviving What? by Merle Weaver

[b]Reviving What? [/b]
[i]by Merle Weaver[/i]

Recently I have been reflecting on some of the calls to prayer for revival and organizations for the same, that I have come in contact with. I feel it is important to share what has been on my heart, and what, I believe the Lord would have me share concerning these things. Before I present the subject at hand, I wish to provide an introductory statement, a sort of disclaimer, if you will. I realize that what I share may be controversial to some and seem as a point of contention. I only ask you to carefully consider what is presented and seek the Lord for yourself. I also am not intimating that none of the persons involved in promoting the views and organizations I am about to address are not christian or some of God's dear children, only to expose the false thought process(es), and so that we might know what it is we are agreeing in prayer for, when we pray for revival.

At the revival conference in Barnsdall, Oklahoma in June of 20091, Greg Frizzel shared that many persons are praying for revival because they are concerned about our economy etc. rather than because of a true burden from the Lord. I certainly agree with this and would add that many are concerned about “our country” (the nation of America) rather than having their first and primary allegiance to the Kingdom and person of our Lord Jesus Christ.2 The focus of many of these persons' well meaning prayers for revival, is that we might return to be the Christian Nation we once were. This focus is what I would like to address in this article. Last night as I was praying, it suddenly occurred to me that the only right focus, is the Glory of God and of the increase of His kingdom. In what is commonly called the Lord's prayer, Jesus even asked us to pray for this. Any other focus, or primary motivation, is actually selfish in nature. I have even seen churches pray for revival in this way – that God would empower “their program”.

Often one of the foundational beliefs of the above mentioned prayer for revival is that America is a Christian Nation. It is true that, “righteousness exalts a nation but sin is a reproach to any people.”3 Mike Atnip, in his book “How The Circuit Riders Saved America”4, clearly describes an example of how godliness has a sanctifying effect on a nation. And while there were many biblical principles and concepts followed in the foundation of America, for which we are thankful, it is not a christian nation, but a kingdom of this world. The foundation of Masonic influence5 and tools of the flesh and rebellion, which God no doubt, allowed and even used, still do not make this nation christian in either foundation or purpose. In addition to its foundation, it is not presently directed by the Lordship of Jesus Christ, for the increase of His Kingdom and purposes, though He can direct and use,6 but is directed by the wisdom and philosophies of men to serve their interests, in much the same way as many churches and denominations are run today as well.7

A second belief that often follows the foundational belief that America is a Christian nation, is that in revival we can/will influence the policies and methods of the government to be more in line with Biblical principles. While there is an element of truth in this, as in the early church, the book I mentioned above, and many other movements of God throughout history, this is a by-product not a focus. Our focus must be His Kingdom, and certainly we cannot divide our loyalties.8 Paul, arguably, lived under one of the worst governments/emperors of history, namely Nero. Yet, we do not even find mention of his name, or one complaint about the godlessness of the nation. I believe Paul expected the world to be that way. His chief aim, interest, and focus was the Church, the body of Christ and any concern for the world or changing the lost was not through government reform, but through seeing them transformed and becoming part of this “other-worldly” kingdom. On the contrast, the Jewish leaders were quite concerned about their place and nation,9 and because of this they rejected the Christ, ultimately becoming the very instruments of His crucifixion. Once again, we see God using this all for good, but they certainly did not get the blessing, and ultimately were fighting against God.

Brothers and sisters let us turn from seeking God for what we will get out if it, or how it will bless us. Let us lament the condition of the church, our lack or fire, salt, and godliness, and the millions of lost people in the “church”. Let us expect to suffer and die in this cause. Let us seek one thing only, His Glory, and His purpose. If he uses another nation or people to bring Himself glory we will rejoice, yet we will not let Him go till He bless us and our land, not because we deserve it or to improve our life, but because it is unfulfilled opportunity for His Glory and kingdom. Equally, when He visits us and uses us, we cannot/will not stop seeking Him for revival as long as there is one people, or one nation who has not brought Him the glory He deserves and for which they were created. This is the only legitimate primary motivation for revival, missions, or any Christian service.10

i www.revivalconference.com
ii Hebrews 11:14-16, John 18:36-37
iii Proverbs 14:34
iv http://www.elcristianismoprimitivo.com/howmethodistssaved.htm
v http://www.midnightcall.com/articles/messages/masonic_history.html
vi Proverbs 21:1
vii “The Waning Authority Of Christ In The Churches” - A.W. Tozer
viiiMatthew 6:24
ix John 11:48
x “Ten Shekels And A Shirt” - Paris Reidhead

2009/9/30 12:48Profile

Re: MUST READ: Reviving What? by Merle Weaver

Amen and Amen !

2009/9/30 16:11
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Amen, I agree. The "nationalism" we often feel as Americans isn't Biblical in its origins. Neither is our feel good interpretation of American history that sees this nation as ever haven been Christian. It's ultimately carnal, and worldly.

2009/9/30 16:48Profile

Re:

Hey Jimmy, I am pleasantly surprised by your reply :) Are you going to Indianopolis?........Frank

2009/9/30 20:43
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Hey Frankie, my Scottish brother!

Nope, not going to Indie. For the time being, one revival conference per year. I'm poor and have limited vacation time :-)

2009/9/30 20:54Profile

Re:

Rich in faith brother, your rich in faith. God bless you. Brother Brian is coming with me to Greenock and then we are of to Wales. Did you meet Pastor Brian when you were at Barnsdall? It was his church we had the conference in......Frank

2009/9/30 22:58
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Yes, I met Brian very briefly while at Barnsdall. He seemed like a really nice guy. I spent more time interacting with the associate pastor, whose name escapes me at the present.

2009/10/1 0:00Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: MUST READ: Reviving What? by Merle Weaver

Quote:
And while there were many biblical principles and concepts followed in the foundation of America, for which we are thankful, it is not a christian nation, but a kingdom of this world. The foundation of Masonic influence5 and tools of the flesh and rebellion, which God no doubt, allowed and even used, still do not make this nation christian in either foundation or purpose.

[i]The foundation of Masonic influence5...[/i]

There is a giant statue of the Quaker, and disciple of George Fox, that is, William Penn, that sits atop city Hall in Philadelphia.

His prayer, or one that is attributed to him, for the city that he founded, is on a plaque in two places on the grounds of city hall.

In the book [i]Christianity and the American Commonwealth[/i] there is a lengthy qoutation which purports to be from the "chapter of laws adopted by the Quaker colony of Pennsylvania".

Following is a portion of that qoutation:

"Whereas the glory of Almighty God, and ye good of mankind, is the reason and end of government, and therefore government in itself is a venerable ordinance of God; and forasmuch as it is principally desired and intended by the proprietary and governor, and the freedom of the province of Pennsylvania, and territories thereunto belonging, to make and establish such laws as shall best preserve true Christians and civil liberty, in opposition to any unchristian, licentious, and unjust practises, whereby God may have his due, Caesar his due, and the people their due, and insolency and licentiousness on the other, so that the best and firmest foundation may be laid for the present and future happiness both of the governor and people of this province..."

- [i]from Christianity and the American Commonwealth, pgs 90-91[/i]

Not too long ago I remember a huge banner(or something like that) that was draped down the side of the Masonic Temple on Arch street that is across from city hall. It made a statement, or something similar to it, that at the foundation of America is FreeMasonry.

I'm by no means a historian or even qualified to say, except I suppose the truth of that, and the extent of it, may depend on where you look and whose telling the history.

2009/10/1 3:42Profile
bdcutler

Mitchell SD

Re:

ChrisJD wrote:

Quote:
I'm by no means a historian or even qualified to say, except I suppose the truth of that, and the extent of it, may depend on where you look and whose telling the history.

I'm no means a student of history either, but I have read some of the letters written by several of the foundational fathers (these can be found at the Library of Congress website where they have scanned them in and made them available to the public: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/index.html). What I have found is that the foundational fathers were a diverse group, like any secular group of men. Some of them (I believe) were true Christians, some Deists, some Masons, some Unitarians. Some claimed to be “true” Christians, but in their writings it is clear they rejected the deity of Christ and his miracles (including the virgin birth, the resurrection, etc).

So, to claim that the foundational fathers were all Christian men who had strong faith is just not true. (This is the idea you get listening to some of these “Our Nation is a Christian Nation” people/historians). Yes, some where true believers and had faith, but many only went to church because it was the proper thing to do at the time (a proper gentleman went to church if he wanted any hope of being involved in politics), and this was evident in their writings (either directly by the words they say, or indirectly by their associations, i.e. with the masons for example).

I agree with Greg, yes, God used these men and God even used their rebellion against England (even if it was an unchristian thing to do), just like God has used men throughout history regardless of whether they were Jew or Gentile, believer or unbeliever, soft of heart or hard of heart. But our loyalty must remain with our true King and Lord, Jesus Christ, and His Kingdom, which will never end. The time is soon coming when Christ will return and dispose of all these earthly kingdoms, and all that will remain is Christ’s Kingdom. Let us build then, on the foundation of Jesus Christ, a work that will remain, not of wood, hay, and stubble, but of gold, silver, and precious stones, that will withstand the test of fire.

2009/10/1 10:31Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I don't have my old notes in front of me right now, but according to what I remember from my church history class in seminary, the percentage of people in this country that openly professed to being a Christian at the time of America's founding was estimated to be somewhere between 10-15%. Once many of the early colonists left England, they left more behind than theiry loyalty to the crown.

2009/10/1 11:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy