SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hypnosis and Christianity Sermons/teachings?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Miccah

Wisconsin

Hypnosis and Christianity Sermons/teachings?

Over the last week I have been trying to study scripture in reference to combating a situation that has arisen in my House Church.

Last week we had a new person came to our HC. While I was at one of our Elders homes, a middle aged gentleman called and asked to attend a HC. The Elder whose home I was at gave the phone directly over to me since our HC is not over full.

I spoke with this new gentleman a little less then an hour before our HC started. In this short converstation that we had, the gentleman stated, "I need to learn more about Jesus." After I invited him over, my Elder informed me that the man made some comment about being in hypnosis at some point in his life. Not wanting to turn away a seeker, I agreed to have him over.

During HC we realized that this gentleman has a business that uses hypnosis to "heal" people. This man is knowledgeable in the Word but is making excuses for why hypnosis is ok to use. During HC I decerned that there is something not right in what he was talking about and his interpretation of the Word. I would correct him using scripture and love.

I am asking anyone for advice, help, scriptures and/or teachings on this subject. I have searched the archives to not much avail. I have been doing some searches online on this subject, but have mostly come up with pro-hypnosis info. I have scriptures on witchcraft, sorcery and such, but I may be missing others that apply and I haven't taken notice.

Please pray for this person. His name is Brad. I do want to approach this person with as much love and gentleness to start. His heart is open to the Lord, but he is very misled. Please also pray for protection for my house, family and other people meeting in my home against attacks from the enemy. Any and all advice is welcome.

Blessings

2009/9/22 14:57Profile

Re: Hypnosis and Christianity Sermons/teachings?

Any power based on an energy outside of the resurrection of Jesus Christ is obviously, not of God. Hypnosis itself is not directly adressed in the scripture, but manipulation and "strife" are. It may be a form of sorcery , or even a "latent power of the soul"*, that Watchman Nee speaks of, as of the earth, and influenced by the flesh. He teaches that the flesh itself has power, and anyone who has ever resisted themselves in an hour of temptation or rebellion knows it is true.
* "The latent power of the Soul",by Watchman Nee.

I would assess this man's manipulative influence, and if you decide that it would outweigh the grace given to have a graceful and productive meeting, I would confront him before hand, and tell him, that he is not welcome to teach or sell trust in a power of the psyche' here. He is welcome to listen, and learn, and repent unto the word, as we all do, but not to teach, but to learn.

Some are lambs, some are goats...and the goats always butt. You have been given authority to protect as well as feed, and even if you are uncomfortable with his presence, you are not obligated to him. The bible also make it clear that we should; "Know those who labor among you." This fellow, being a foreigner to the group,is maybe showing his colors early if he is trying to dominate or teach in his first meeting.

Let him know that your church does not agree with hypnosis, as a power derived away from the power of the Holy Spirit, and he is forbidden to talk about it, or refer to it, as being from God, in any way, shape or form. Tell him that you are willing to persist with him as a brother, but not to argue about strange and diverse doctrines, which hypnosis is. If he wishes to persist, let him do so down the road.

"After having done all to STAND, STAND therefore."

2009/9/22 18:41
Leo_Grace

Re:

I did a very quick search in Wikipedia, and it appears hypnosis is a state of focused mental concentration and heightened suggestion, which has its roots in Hindu Yoga practices and ancient oriental spiritual/meditation techniques. It is definitely not a Christian method and seems more like the "practice of magic arts" forbidden by God in the Bible.

But I don't think it would be necessary to even understand hypnotism in order to forbid it in your church meetings. I believe the advertisement or promotion of any product or service should be prohibited as it clashes with the spiritual intent of the church meeting. Prohibition even before or after the meeting is, I think, justified since it would call into question the very motive of a person's attendance at the church meeting.

2009/9/22 19:04Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Thank you brothers. We will be meeting again tonight for HC. If he attends, I pray that the Lord's truth will move him to repentance.

2009/9/23 11:02Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

The power of hypnosis is more prevalent in Sunday church meetings in the United States than anywhere else in the world. Hypnosis - like that of its twin sister mesmerization - is often given free reign in much of what the world experiences in charismatic and Pentecostal assemblies today. I can say this as a former AG youth pastor who was well-acquainted with the traditional "youth rally" and the general Christian rock concert/conference scene which is devised to [i]pump-up[/i] the faith and boldness and fervor and zeal and conviction in those who attend the meetings.

This "pumping-up" is almost always the result of of a temporal and visceral hypnosis brought on by loudness, repetition, and appeal to emotion. All these are psychological elements well-known to gifted orators, musicians, statesmen, etc. The power of soul is both powerful...and subtle. Many speakers and "worship leaders" in Christian circles employ this power without even realizing it. It was learnt from watching other soulish preachers and their influence, and also by the proven effectiveness of the methods we see in the world.

Hypnosis is not just someone going into a trance while watching a swinging coin - that's just how the movies portray it. In reality, the mind can go into a hypnotic state through both aural [i]and[/i] visual mediums. In church assemblies it is usually the former, through corporate mantras and choruses...and I dare say, even prayer. By injecting the Name of God, and with a good speaker able to conjure and project an object of deity (usually through animated locution and syllable stresses and gesticulation), the human emotion - or soul - can become like clay in the potter's hand.

We know in the end that the soul was touched instead of the spirit, because the state of religious euphoria doesn't last, but diminishes after a few days. The high wears off, and those who attended the service finally sink back into their pre-conference ahypnotic states. It's especially tragic when we see this in evangelism! We all know of the damage caused by soulish decisions for Christ, we see it everywhere in Christiandom. In the end, the two-fold children of hell are able to wreak more damage to the Name of Christ than a legion of demons could.

Note, I am not saying every Pentecostal or Charismatic service is like this. I believe the genesis of the Pentecostal movement was at one time of God, but now that many generations have passed, [i]the strange fire of the soul[/i] now poses wholescale as what was once Holy Spirit fire and many without discernment are duped in the wake.

Brother Paul

2009/9/23 12:11Profile
Theophila

Re:

What brother Paul said.
And

I could be wrong brother, but i believe, you have a wolf/goat in your midst.
He knew any christian would be happy to hear a seeker say they wanted to know more about Jesus.

If i may ask, what led to his talking about his business at the meeting?

Please heed the counsel to firmly state your position on the matter of hypnosis and be unyielding.

The grace of the Lord be upon you. Amen

2009/9/23 13:32Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Theophila wrote:

Quote:

If i may ask, what led to his talking about his business at the meeting?

Great question. As in with meeting anyone new, people are interested in this persons background. People were trying to get to know this person and make him feel welcome. In the process of this happening, his occupation came about.

Quote:
Please heed the counsel to firmly state your position on the matter of hypnosis and be unyielding.

The grace of the Lord be upon you. Amen

Yes, and yes! :-)

2009/9/23 14:05Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Dear PaulWest,

Guys, please excuse this brief question which diverts a bit from the thread, but I must ask Paul...

Quote:
We know in the end that the soul was touched instead of the spirit, because the state of religious euphoria doesn't last, but diminishes after a few days.

Could you please educate me on the distinction between a soul and a spirit? It is a vague matter to me at this time. Thanks.

Leo

2009/9/23 15:16Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Could you please educate me on the distinction between a soul and a spirit? It is a vague matter to me at this time. Thanks.

Dear Leo,

The terms "soul" and "spirit" are often used interchangeably as one and the same, especially in Christian lingo. But the truth is that there is a vast difference between the two - as vast as the difference between human and divine. One is earthly, the other heavenly. One originates in man, the other in God. One is Adamic and vibrant even when we are dead in sin, the other is dead until quickened by God.

We see the principle most clearly in this verse: [i]"The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit"[/i] (I Corinthians 14:45). A few verses down, in verse 47, we further read: [i]"The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven"[/i] (I Corinthians 15:47).

Adam was made a living soul, and everyone still in Adam (i.e. dead in sin), has access to all the power and capabilities of soul. Soul power is able to excite the human emotion like the wind is able to excite the water on the sea. When you see a group of girls screaming as Elvis Presley dances and gyrates his hips, you are witnessing the effects of Elvis' soul power to the seat of their emotion. Man has this tremendous power within - a power to manipulate, deceive, thrill, seduce, infuriate. These things he is able to do independant of God, and as you know, this power is often used for sinful gain and selfish indulgence. Cult leaders are masters of soul. They can easily provoke feelings of joy and fear in their their followers just by speaking. Adolf Hitler's Nazi Rally speeches are an awesome example of how the unbridled power of Adamic soul can sway others...even a whole nation. Satan's main channel to influence people [i]en masse[/i] has always been through the outlet of the soul. Whether it be through music, videos, literature or false preaching, the power of soul is able to go forth and connect in a most powerful way.

One of the things God's Word does is equip us with a filter to help divide and discern soul power from the actual power of the Holy Spirit. [i]"For the Word of God is quick and powerful...piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit..."[/i] We see from this verse two things. First, that there is a difference between soul and spirit; and secondly that the two are closely bound, like a vein and an artery running parallel in the same sheath. The Word of God is like a surgical scalpel, able to seperate the two. Without the Word of God, soul can be mistaken for spirit - and this is where we run into all kinds of problems and deceptions and counterfeits in Christianity.

Many "Baptisms in the Holy Ghost" today are emotional counterfeits, the result of a failure to discern between soul and spirit. In some cases, the person had a heightened experience, aided by music and coaching and was told to "let yourself go with the spirit" and to speak freely whatever comes to mind - even if it sounds like babble. And so they do, and so they speak, and so they believe they are baptized.

But the soul can never bring life! It instead brings a temporal vivacity....and then the stagnation. It's a cloud without rain. You see the impressive billow and hear the loud thunderclaps and see the awesome lightening...but the life-giving rain never comes. It's an illusion that vanishes like a wisp of smoke.

When a move is genuinely of the Spirit, an inner transformation occurs which you never recover from. It happens to the inner man, a precious, inutterable change that always takes us into a deeper awareness of our inward depravity and God's blessed grace. We suddenly find ourselves provoked to humility and brokeness...and through such we find abundant life in Christ. The soul condition, however, is transient, like a prognosis on the weather channel. When the soul is touched, we focus on self; when the spirit is touched, our eyes are lifted to God in humility, meekness, charity, self-control and sobriety. And through our looking to Jesus we are ever changed, progressively, from glory to glory into His likeness.

Hope this helps.

Brother Paul

2009/9/23 21:02Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Thank you, Paul. :-)

2009/9/23 21:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy