SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Gauging Your Devotion to Christ?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Gauging Your Devotion to Christ?

I'm curious to see how different people gauge their relationship with Christ? What are the signs you look for to determine if you are walking closely with the Lord?

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/9/19 10:05Profile

Re: Gauging Your Devotion to Christ?

I am not trying to be facetious, but I think it would be wiser to search the scriptures and be convinced of His everlasting devotion to us, for that will never change and will, in fact, be the impetus behind our wavering devotion to Him.

2009/9/19 10:24
Leo_Grace

Quote:

TaylorOtwell wrote:
I'm curious to see how different people gauge their relationship with Christ? What are the signs you look for to determine if you are walking closely with the Lord?

With care in Christ,
Taylor

1. An overwhelming, enduring, heartfelt love for God.

2. A burning desire to know God directly through His Word and the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

3. A compulsion to please God in everything I do, in the little day-to-day activities as well as in the big things in life.

4. A deep longing to be in His presence always.

(Addendum)
5. A willingness to trust in God and to follow God in everything, without need or expectation of reward.

2009/9/19 11:18Profile

Re:

3John 1:3-4 For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

2009/9/19 12:07
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Mahoney,

I'm not asking because I am going through doubts about my own devotion to Christ. I'm just trying to get a reading for the different ways people think about their walk with the Lord.

Thanks for the responses so far!

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/9/19 12:38Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Quote:
"I'm curious to see how different people gauge their relationship with Christ? What are the signs you look for to determine if you are walking closely with the Lord?"

When I am walking close to the Lord, I would rather be in a prayer meeting than at a football game. I would rather be feeding on the Word than watching T.V.

When I am in walking closely with the Lord, I am hungry for more of God, and when there is an absence of that spiritual hunger then I know that something is not right.

When I am walking close to the Lord I want to fellowship with God's people.

Some of the richest times in God's presence can be found when we are walking close to the Lord, but there can also be the absence of feeling anything in the time of trial, but having that peace within that surpasses all understanding.

When I am walking close to the Lord, there is a stability in my walk, because my faith is not based on outward circumstances, but in God's faithfulness to fulfill His promises in my life.

The thing that I am continually seeking is a good baromoter of how I am doing in my walk with the Lord. If I am seeking God's kingdom first then my priorites are right. If I am seeking the things of the world more than God, then I have lost my focus.

Motives are also a good indication of how close I am walking with the Lord. When I am doing things out of a love for God to please Him then my motives are right. If I do things out of the wrong motive, though they may be good works, then I need to check my heart.

Mike

2009/9/19 16:18Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Thanks, AbideInHim... may we all seek our Lord with diligence.

2009/9/19 16:33Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:

There is a quote that has often ministered to me and this is my answer: "does God seem far away? Guess who moved!"

ginnyrose

2009/9/19 19:20Profile
MaryJane

Re:

____

For me I view my walk with Jesus as I would any other personal relationship, except that I give it the highest priority. I seek Him daily in prayer, the Word, worship, and fellowship with the body. I listen to hear His voice. I listen for the guiding of the Holy Spirit in my decisions, and I listen to hear Him in those areas of my life that I have not surrender fully, so that I can repent. Jesus is a person, and I need to be in contact with Him daily, if I have not been then I am not walking with Him and I need to quickly find out what it is that has taken up my time or attention to cause me to take my focus off of Him. I have often shared with my boys that if you have not heard from the Lord for several days at a time then you have stopped listening..

God Bless
maryjane

2009/9/19 19:45Profile
TruthNLove

California

Re:

Hi Mary Jane,

I would encourage you to read Jonathan Edward's resolutions. THese short purpose statements (resolutions) guided his life and provided a barometer for him to gauge his spiritual condition in light of his ultimate purpose and pursuit THe Glory of God.

I just read a book by Steve Lawson titled "The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards". I recommend it to you. I was amazed at the rigor and extreme devotion in which Jonathan Edwards sought God. No wonder why God greatly used this man.

2009/9/19 20:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy