Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Question

I have a question.

Earlier this evening I listened to a sermon at a church. After the service I talked with the preacher but it was as if he could not hear me. While I was talking he just stared at me and smiled without any change of expression. When he replied it didn't have anything to do with what I had just said. It was all very surreal - as if I was not really there - or maybe it was that he was not really there. While he preached it was almost as if he was a robot. He knew all the verses and had the right inflictions in his voice, but something was missing, and it was something more than the Holy Spirit.

This has happened before when I talked with a different preacher.

Has anyone else ever experienced this or know that of which I am speaking?

2009/9/16 2:00Profile
HeartSong

Re: Question

Maybe he was on some kind of medication . . .

This world is like a huge minefield. Without the Lord guiding our every step, there is no way of making it through.

2009/9/16 2:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Sister,

be encouraged the devil has many a men in the pulpit with professional pulpitering skills but nothing of the Spirit of God.

Oh that God might purify His Church again from all that defiles in a mighty revival from above.

2009/9/16 4:42Profile

Re:

Perhaps his mind isn't the best. Or perhaps he was very tired. There's many possible reasons for this.

2009/9/16 7:50
poet

Longview WA

Re:

Im guilty of that, someone talks to me and im smiling but my mind is elsewhere, due to stress or something heavy on my mind, our minds can only absorb so much, and he was trying to be nice and look attentive yet his mind was probably elsewhere, next time you can ask him questions and engage him in ways that require responses and offer to pray for him, saying you look distracted is everything ok? can I pray for you?
These kinds of questions make the person take his thoughts off that trance state when they are heavy in thought.
One time I was mulling over what I had just said, thinking did I say that right? or man did I just say that?
Some ideas anyway,
If he was looking down at his watch, or over your shoulder he had things he wanted to do or someone who he wanted to talk to, if he turned his body sideways to you or angled he may of wanted to leave to do something, trying to give some signals, like inching towards a door, other things to ponder. The person has many suttle body language signals that they give, knowingly or unknowingly.
But just staring trancelike could indicate tiredness, but there are other suttle body language indicators,
Good luck and God bless.

2009/9/16 10:24Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Another question.

Does it matter who a person is baptized by? If the person doing the baptizing is not of the Lord . . .

2009/9/16 11:21Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:
While he preached it was almost as if he was a robot. He knew all the verses and had the right inflictions in his voice, but something was missing, and it was something more than the Holy Spirit.

Whether tired or medicated (as others have suggested), it is wrong for anyone to preach God's word in a state of absent-mindedness. Preaching and teaching is a very important function in the body of believers - and should be approached with humility and hunger for the leading of the Holy Spirit. Since he, as you say, had the right verses and voice inflections, it is possible he was preaching a canned message by rote.

It is sad to see such things happen, but as Greg said:
Quote:
the devil has many a men in the pulpit with professional pulpitering skills but nothing of the Spirit of God.

Oh that God might purify His Church again from all that defiles in a mighty revival from above.

We must always be on our guard.

2009/9/16 11:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Baptism

Quote:
Does it matter who a person is baptized by? If the person doing the baptizing is not of the Lord . .

It would be very interesting to know what prompted [i]this[/i] question.

I know of a group of Christians who are into apostolic succession. They believe your church must be able to trace its organizational lineage back to the apostles. Only by doing so will your baptism be valid!! This issue provides 1 Timothy 1:4 with a lot of sense.

I do not find any scripture to support this concept. What scripture do these folks use to support their position? and what is their theory behind such a position?

ginnyrose

2009/9/16 13:11Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Another question.

Does it matter who a person is baptized by? If the person doing the baptizing is not of the Lord . . .

I'm not sure if the Bible specifically deals with such an issue. Historically, the majority view of the (Protestant - I'm not sure about Roman) church has been that the efficacy of the baptism is not tied to the virtue or worth of the administrator.

It seems that such a view would create serious practical problems. I can't be 100% sure if the person who baptizing me is a sincere believer. If I can't be sure of that, and the validity of my baptism depends on it, I could never be sure about the validity of my baptism. Such a view would seem pretty absurd, in my opinion.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/9/16 14:06Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:

Amen.

This afternoon as I was reading in John, I noticed this:

John 4:2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

I am taking this to mean that Jesus, and Jesus alone, baptized his disciples - and they were the only ones He baptized.

Quote:
ginnyrose wrote:
I do not find any scripture to support this concept. What scripture do these folks use to support their position? and what is their theory behind such a position?

This is a question that arose in my mind as things did not quite feel right as someone I know was being baptized by the aforementioned preacher.

Thank you all for your answers. I am not totally clear on the matter but will trust that the Lord will eventually bring it to light.

2009/9/16 20:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy