SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Need help on starting a small group

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lucash

Kentucky

Need help on starting a small group

My wife and I are a very young couple. We are strong in the Lord, and our friends want us to start a small group. Our friends are in no way strong in the Lord, but they have been accepting our invitations to church in the past couple of months. They come when they can but sometimes they can be lazy. We feel we are not prepared enough to start a small group. If we did, my guess is it would be topical and we would read a chapter out of the Bible and discuss what happened, and what not. I feel this may be God reaching out to tell me something but I'm not sure. I've never been the kind of guy to lead a small group. My wife and I have always gone to them, but never have I lead one. I guess I'm asking, if I do go through with this, can anyone give me tips on how to manage/run a small group... THANKS SI!

2009/8/26 9:56Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Need help on starting a small group

My Friend. Pray. Pray. Pray. Seek the Lord about this subject more then you ever have. This small group is not something that is taken lightly by our Lord. Seek the Lord. Fast and pray. Seek His guidance. Be patient.

I have been heading up a House Church for a few years now. There is no clear cut way that works for all. It needs to be Spirit lead, and not man lead. One thing (from my observations on many different house churchs that I know) is that you do not want the House Church or small group to become a self-help group, or a counciling group. Stick to the Bible and the Lord. Yes, things do come up, but and they should, but do not let the overall focus leave from the Lord. Teach repentance and God's love.

Again, some gatherings may be overcome with things of the world, as in relationships, work, school, family, etc... When this happens, as it usually does in the beginning of these groups, reference scripture on how to deal/work through these times.

There is so much more and so many different ways of doing this. Bottom line is to keep people focused on Christ and His sacrifice for them. Pray a lot with the group.

Blessings

2009/8/26 10:48Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, we had a great young group years ago, God lead us to have a meeting in a different home every week with the host as the leader and the one to bring the word.. this matured people in a wonderful way and helped everyone with both preperation and tolerance... we also had the kids there, and had a nosh. we grew to really love each other in a great christian way.jimp

2009/8/26 11:03Profile

my brother and sister,

without sounding flippant, NOW is the time to literally go on your faces and pray, God will never fail you.. I am in the same "boat" so to speak. as far as your percieved leadership abilities...number one, just let Jesus pastor these meetings, humbly ask Him in, to have his sway and please allow me to give you a bit of precious Scripture: (from Jeremiah)

4Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,

5Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

6Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.

7But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.

8Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD.

9Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth.

10See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.

Jeremiah 1:4-10

Bless the Name of the Lord! and may He bless the both of you, and the fruit of such an endeavour, in Jesus' love, neil

2009/8/26 13:08

Start out as a fellowship. Most people gather together to talk about concerns of the day, worries, and problems that life is facing them. Don't discourage that, as the traditional church atmosphere discourages that and that is one of the major reasons why we are all strangers to one another because we don't know one another to bear one another's burdens so fulfilling the law of Christ.

Fellowship is more than just sitting around having a Bible study. Just be yourselves and see where the Holy Spirit takes each gathering. Let Him do the leading, that is, don't be anxious or concerned about what to do, you'll be amazed as to what happens when we let God run our meetings. But whatever you do, don't follow a program or the dull systematic routine of the Church system, Sing, Offering, Sermon and the Doxology.

You will want to be praying though before each gathering, not hours before, but days before each meeting. A man of prayer keeps the atmosphere filled with incense and wherever he goes the Spirit of God is there to fill the place with His glory, that no flesh shall glory in His presence. Be in that state my friend and you will hardly contain yourself in waiting for the next gathering together.

And whatever you do when speaking about the Word, steer clear of Eschatology. End time studies are ok for the strong, but for those that are not it can be a place to build weaklings. It's a temptation to speak of it because it has a magnetic attraction into the unknown, but there is little to glean from it because there are so many differences of opinion. Jesus must be the focus of all meetings, not studying about who the Anti Christ might be. Many might think that I am being unwise by saying such things, but I've been down the road with this, there is nothing but endless debate on a worthless subject that is best left to those that have the wisdom and knowledge to interpret correctly the "end time" message.

God Bless

2009/8/26 17:02

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy