Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Fastened in a sure place

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Fastened in a sure place

Hi everyone.

I was out walking this morning and near the end of my walk I noticed a new overhang had been put up outside a certain building. It was somewhat strange looking to me as the top of it looked to be all of glass, or something else that was transparent, and also it appeared to be held up above the ground by nothing else except two heavy looking supports that were jutting out perpendicular to the edifice of the building.

As I was approaching I noticed too that a man was there working on something near the doorway and for a moment I was somewhat uneasy of walking under it. Could those arms hold the weight of it? Was it still being constructed and was the man there still working on it?

Among the sense of uneasiness of crossing under the overhang, the phrase also came to mind

"fastened in a sure place"

I thought first of Eccl 12:11, and then I thought of the passage from Isaiah 22:23 which says

"...I will fasten him [i]as[/i] a nail in a sure place..."

I suppose that we are all accustomed somewhat to believe the things that are around us are constructed to hold the weight that they are made for. And that those that built them, built them correctly. And rightly so, and it is good and thankworthy to God that for the most part we can go about our lives and not be concerned(or overly so) about the stability of the things around us.

I thought this morning too that we are called upon to put our confidence in God(Heb 3:4), and in His Christ, that He has set, in a sure place.

(Ps 2:6, 1Ti 6:15-16, Eph 1:20-21, Heb 6:18-20, Acts 7:55).

And to hang all of our lives upon Him.

I hope it is alright to share this with you all. I do so as someone who has by no means arrived at this and so much need help from God to do it.

God bless every one of you.

2009/8/15 10:18Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Fastened in a sure place

Hi again everyone.

Something else had happened today that was an encouragement to me and I wanted to share it with you all.

After the walk this morning I had a discussion with the "Jehovah's Witnesses" and one of the things that we talked about was that Jesus is God.

This they deny, and give as an objection that no man can see God and live.

I'm mentioning this because, although I've answered this with them many times, I was not settled in my heart about it this morning and wanted to look up the passage to examine it. This was before I wrote to you all here.

So I was going to consult the commentaries about this when I was checked in my inner man, and asked myself why do you always run so quickly to those things for help. Why don't you wait and let God show you the answer.

So I decided that I would.

I thought it might be a long time before that would happen and put it out of mind and started writting to you all.

And then, as I was looking up refrences for the passages in the first post here, I believe I saw the answer. It was in 1st Timothy 6:16:

That God is Light. Unapproachable Light. That it was This, that no man can see.

2009/8/16 1:35Profile
growingholly

Re:

thanks for sharing your heart in both of these. wonderful. there are many Jehovah's witnesses here too, and just today in fact i was wondering how to prove to them in the Scripture that Jesus is God. i found many texts in the Old Testament, by His grace, that talk about salvation only coming through Jehovah, (or sometimes it was Elohim), and many in the New Testament that talked about salvation being through Jesus. the Bible can't lie or contradict itself, so hope this helps. perhaps sowing them this reality may help. probably not, as religion is an obsession for many and blocks them from the truth, but you never know!!

2009/8/16 2:09Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Holly, thank you very much for the encouragement!

I think that one of the greatest gifts that God has given to man is the ability, in various ways, to give and to be a blessing to others in some way. It may be too, that there are few things that make us more godly than giving and in sharing of what we have. My opinion anyway :)

The rest of this weekend continued to be very rich to me.

I was impressed again with the words of Psalm 90:12, and the desire to make every day and every moment full and to use the precious few moments we have on earth to love and pray for others.

2009/8/16 21:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy