SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Evidence of Being Born Again....

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

The Evidence of Being Born Again....

The Evidence of being Born Again…….

A common phrase among those churches that refer to themselves as “Pentecostal” is the saying “baptized in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues”. Whether you are Pentecostal or not, if you are active in a church or watch so called “Christian TV”, you have probably heard this term.

The validity of this statement or phrase is scripturally argumentative in and of itself. But that is not why I’m here at the keyboard at this time.

Hebrews 12:14 says this: “14Strive to live in peace with everybody and pursue that consecration and holiness without which no one will [ever] see the Lord. “

If a person, ourselves or others, say they have been Born Again of water and Spirit, is it unreasonable for us to ask if there is evidence of being born again? Does that evidence follow the guidelines of this and countless other scriptures?

Let’s look at the definition of this word “holiness”, translated holiness 5 times and sanctification 5 times…

1) consecration, purification
2) the effect of consecration
a) sanctification of heart and life

Holiness is a work of the Holy Spirit (evidential work) that opposes lust of the flesh. Let’s look at another scripture….

Romans 6:19 says…” 19I am speaking in familiar human terms because of your natural limitations. For as you yielded your bodily members [and [a]faculties] as servants to impurity and ever increasing lawlessness, so now yield your bodily members [and faculties] once for all as servants to righteousness (right being and doing) [which leads] to sanctification. “

The word for “sanctification” is the same word translated Holiness. The evidence of being Born Again of water and Spirit is the yielding of our vessels as servants of right doing and right being. How do we judge whether or not a Born Again person, ourselves or others, are in fact providing evidence of the working of the Holy Spirit within? The Word of God from beginning to end states the necessity of obedience to God.

Romans 6:22 – “ 22But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. (KJV)“

Isn’t “fruit” the evidence of the life of a tree? Serving God instead of sin and the old nature results in fruit, evidence if you will, of the Born Again life we say we are now living. To prove a matter in a court of law, there must be evidence. In the life of a Christian there must cease to be evidence of the old nature, the old life, the sinful nature, and there must be new and ongoing evidence of the life of the new nature in Christ Jesus. Looking at the scripture above, I don’t see how anyone can separate the evidence of holiness from the hope of everlasting life.

Now, we all agree that the “just shall live by faith”. Faith must have an object. The object of Christian faith is the shed blood of Jesus Christ. The evidence of the justified who find their new life in Christ Jesus is the evidence of our taking on a new life of holiness, and turning away from the lusts and life of the flesh which is supposed to be dead in Christ.

So if the Pentecostals can use the term, (right or wrong), “baptized in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues”, cannot all Christians proclaim “Born Again of water and Spirit with the evidence of living a Holy Life”?

Granted there is a holiness that is imputed by Christ. His imputed holiness and righteousness enables us to approach the throne of God will boldness, but not with “baggage”. There is a process of growth with fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Check this out from Galatians 5:22-25
“ 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.“

Who has the evidence of the fruit of the Holy Spirit? Is it not those who have “crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts”? If you have crucified them, there should be no evidence of life in the flesh. Amen? Come on somebody.
It is time for the truth to be proclaimed. The Apostasy is here! Not the falling away from church, but the falling away from the truth. To be Born Again, we must repent! Turn away from the lusts of the flesh! Turn to God and resist the devil and he will flee from you. That’s what James said. So if the devil has fled, why are we still walking in and being partakers of ungodliness? I’ll tell you why. We have not crucified, put to death, the flesh with it’s lusts and affections.
Let me put it this way. If Jesus came to your house and looked around, would He find evidence of His life or yours? Would He find evidence of idols or service to Himself. If He came to your heart and life, would He find evidence of being Born Again of water and Spirit with the evidence of living a Holy Life? If there would be “problems”, perhaps this would be a good time to ask the Holy Spirit to search our hearts and bring to light anything that is evidence not in our favor as being Born Again. After all, eternal life could hang in the balance. Are you Born Again of water and Spirit with the “evidence” of living a holy life? I pray that I am. I pray that you are.

Humbly before Him,

"0"

2009/8/10 21:34Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re: The Evidence of Being Born Again....

Even though i have not read all of your posting - much it rings true with me! and bears witness!
In fact i am currently working on a posting call ed the key to spiritual power ... upon which i will address similiar things. I wish i did have toime to read all your post! But i have just spent 4 hours writing another post...so please have me excused, until a latter time, that i have more time, brother! thanks...But it sounds good and exhortative!

2009/8/11 0:01Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

Be at peace, it's all about Him, not us.

"0"

2009/8/11 0:06Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re:

do we really understand the term and word "born again" anyway?? Jesus used it once ...charismatics use it at almost every altar call ...what does it mean?? good question Bro??

2009/8/11 1:42Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

"0",

Is this going to be a thread against speaking in tongues?

I believe you said "Be at peace, it's all about Him, not us?" :-(

Quote:
sonofthunder wrote:
do we really understand the term and word "born again" anyway?? Jesus used it once ...charismatics use it at almost every altar call ...what does it mean??

Where are you coming from on this?

Are you and "O" (and others) going to be using "born again" and "saved" interchangeably?

In case they are used interchangeably, I have a question for you... Have you been to a NON-charismatic church lately? The one I go to (Baptist in nature), has an altar call [b]EVERY[/b] Sunday even though all the same people that were sitting there last week (that was "saved" or "born again") are still sitting there but yet thy have an altar call anyway.

What would be the difference between these two altar calls, (that is of course assuming you are charismatic)?

2009/8/11 6:20Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

Well,
To the best of my understanding, the term "altar call" is not in the Bible, nor is such a practice. People are saved when they repent of their sins, die to self by faith, and place the entirity of their eternal hope in the shed blood of Jesus Christ.
I believe the evidence of this divine event taking place and the life lived thereafter is holiness. A person is born of water at birth and of Spirit the hour he/she believes. That could be anywhere at anytime. It is always the result of a move of God. No one comes to the Father accept the Spirit draw him(her).

2009/8/12 1:46Profile
elharris

Great Post!

After enduring and putting up with many mean, and nasty Chrsitians, for most of my Christian life, one day I was inspired to write a little song to sing to myself. It's a snappy tune.

Choros
I wanna be an overcomer,
Yes I do,
Wanna love my neighbor,
And my enemy too.
Wanna loose my life,
so I can find it again,
Wanna serve my God,
And not serve sin.

Now some say that grace,
is a licence to sin,
And they're always askin,
"Brother are you born again"?

But if you asked for some water,
to quench your thirst,
They'd say "Excuse me,
I have to ask my pastor first."

Choros
I wanna be an overcomer,
Yes I do,
Wanna love my neighbor,
And my enemy too.
Wanna loose my life,
so I can find it again,
Wanna serve my God,
And not serve sin.

Now some read the Bible,
and they'll give you some verse.
But when you're needin a loan,
Well, they can't find their purse.

Well I guess they haven't read,
Everything that's wrote,
Or they'd see the differnce,
tween a sheep and a goat (goat sung with bleeting sound)

Choros
I wanna be an overcomer,
Yes I do,
Wanna love my neighbor,
And my enemy too.
Wanna loose my life,
so I can find it again,
Wanna serve my God,
And not serve sin.

:-D

2009/8/12 18:24Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

Elharris,
That is so awesome. I sure wish I could hear the melody. I know it's great. Thank you for loving us enough to share it.

"0"

2009/8/14 1:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy