SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : which bible commentary?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MeiLi

Germany

which bible commentary?

Beloved Saints,
may I ask which bible commentaries are worth their money? It will be my first and I'm kinda overwhelmed which one to choose. Any redommendations? I would be very grateful for some help on this issue :-)

2009/8/6 9:08Profile
Axe1338

Miami, Fl

Re: which bible commentary?

Meili,

I would recommend Matthew Henry's or John Macarthur's, either way you swing I believe both are good.

2009/8/6 9:48Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

There is a huge difference between john macarthur and matthew henry.

Macarthur is very theological. Matthew henry is very applicational and spiritual.

I would recommend:

[b]Believers Bible Commentary by william macdonald[/b]
http://www.amazon.com/Believers-Bible-Commentary-William-MacDonald/dp/0785212167

[b]Matthew Henry's commentary[/b]

[b]Madame Guyons commentary[/b]
http://seedsowers.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=113&osCsid=c1a7955d133603f470ab53b7e84d652c

that is just one book of many. They are great.

[b]John Welsey Notes on the Bible[/b]

2009/8/6 10:02Profile
MeiLi

Germany

Re:

hm, I'm not too fond of John Macarthur as he shares the cessationists point of view even though there may be a lot of good points he makes besides that. I'll check out Matthew Henry - just found out you can find his commentary online.

2009/8/6 10:06Profile
MeiLi

Germany

Re:

Thank you Greg, I'll have a look at these...

2009/8/6 10:08Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

John Gill is a good commentator can be read for free online: http://www.freegrace.net/gill

Matthew Henry, Matthew Poole, and John Calvin are all good commentators.

If you are interested in a specific book of the Bible, you will probably do better to purchase a one-volume commentary on that particular book, as you will get more in depth commentary.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/8/6 13:01Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

It must be stated though there is a danger in using commentaries. You can just read the bible much and keep reading it over and over and God will give you full understanding in all things.

"we are taught of the Spirit" it cannot just be a head knowledge thing.

2009/8/6 13:19Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Bible commentaries can be useful to get a [i]slant[/i] on a particular verse. I echo Greg's warnings however in using Bible commentaries unilaterally to understand a hidden truth.

I greatly respect and use Henry's commentary, but if I must be honest, I should tell you that if my motive is to harvest spiritual food from a verse in the field without my own "sweat of the brow", I find the Holy Spirit grieving as I pull the tome from the shelf. It can be like grabbing the fruit of another man's labor on account of your own sluggishness. Using commentaries for this purpose will profit you nothing in terms of imparting divine life; it will only fill you with the knowledge of the letter.

So we have to be careful, even with the best of the commentaries. This principle also goes for books and audio sermons. The more filled with food they are, the greater the risk of assimilating what treasures we have not worked for as our own and trying to live and operate [i]from[/i] them, which doesn't work.

Brother Paul

2009/8/6 13:40Profile
simonb

Estonia

Re:

Greg and Pauls advice re commentaries is good,
but of all the commentaries out their if you want to buy one definately You wont go wrong with Matthew Henry's (the complete and unabridged version) it is the locas clasicus of commentaries!
blessings

2009/8/6 15:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy