SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : why revival tarries

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

why revival tarries

By leonard ravenhill, began to read ch.1 and i have a feeling this book is going to be a good one, i have been drawn to read the last few days. Has anyone read this and can anyone assure me that I definitely need to read this book. So far it is good but what do you guys know about this book?

2009/8/1 1:05

Re: why revival tarries

Yes, I know what you mean about reading chapter 1 of this book and thinking Amen! to it; I think that you will find the same with the rest of it. He states so much truth in the state of the church and the lack of prayer. His yearning for revival and prayer (within the life of the person and the church) is very much evident throughout and it will convict you in your own walk with Christ in the time you put aside in prayer and fasting, and strengthen your resolve to pray with other believers. I truly recommend this book, along with The Heavenly Life.

2009/8/1 6:13

Re:

http://www.atwhatpricetruth.com/catalog/misc079.htm
Above is a link to the book: The Heavenly Life, by G.D. Watson.

"Dr. G. D. Watson is a skilled expositor of the truths of God and every lover of the Divine Word will surely welcome these pages. They are full of deep, soul-nourishing truth, that will prove a great incentive to prayer, meditation and holy aggressiveness."
I'm going to read this book again!

2009/8/1 15:00

Re:

There is no talk about eschatology in these pages are there? I don't want to get the book and find out that this topic is being covered. Thanks

2009/8/1 16:21
narrowpath

Germany NRW

I read it, nobody writes books like Ravenhill nowadays.

2009/8/1 20:06Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

It is probably one of the most important Christian books of the 20th century -at least in the top ten. It is one of those books that will change your perspective on everything. It is easy to read, but difficult to read at the same time. The prose are charming, but the messages cuts to the bone.

It doesn't have any eschatological emphasis, but deals with the need for true biblical revival within the world church. The original forward of the book is written by AW Tozer to give one a sense of the pedigree of this book. On the newer addition of the book there is an endorsement by Ravi Zacharias in which he says to the effect "No other book, besides the bible, has had a greater impact on my life and ministry."

The truth is, about 4 years ago, Ravenhill and his books were just about the only thing that people talked about on this forum. There was, at least at that time, a genuine longing for revival... since then any hope of revival seems to have been quashed by years of bickering over non-essential issues.

I need to go back and read this book again, I should check if they have it at the Wheaton College Library, I ended up giving away my copy.

2009/8/2 7:47Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Oh, and Keith Green used to give this book away for free through his Last Days Ministries newsletter. At the time Keith had moved his ministry from California to Lindale Texas in order to be near Leonard Ravenhill. David Wilkerson and Teen Challenge also moved their headquarters to Tyler Texas in order to be near Ravenhill, or so it seemed, and YWAM planted one of their largest bases in Tyler Texas. Also in the area was Mercy Ships and the Calvary Commission. Gospel For Asia was also starting up around this time in Texas, and some of KP Yohannon's earliest writings were for the LDM newsletter, which Ravenhill also made contributions to. Some of those articles can be read [url=http://www.lastdaysministries.org/Groups/1000008837/Last_Days_Ministries/LDM/Discipleship_Teachings/Discipleship_Teachings.aspx]here[/url].

There are some articles and shorter writings by Leonard Ravenhill at a website that his son had made for him before he passed away located at http://www.ravenhill.org/

But you can also listen to many of his sermons here on sermonindex.net.

2009/8/2 8:01Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

[i] i have been drawn to read the last few days. Has anyone read this and can anyone assure me that I definitely need to read this book.[/i]

I think if you have been felt drawn to this book the last couple of days, then you have all the assurance you'll need. :-)

[i]So far it is good but what do you guys know about this book?[/i]

Amazing book. It seems born out of the same heart and spirit as his sermons. Very convicting message.

Phil

2009/8/2 12:03Profile

Re:

Quote:
There is no talk about eschatology in these pages are there? I don't want to get the book and find out that this topic is being covered.

Brother, not sure which book you're referring to, but both books: Why Revival Tarries and The Heavenly Life are based on holiness and prayer... a lot of what is written in The Heavenly Life is focused on the eager anticipation of the eternal, it's not about the end times as such.
I need to be reminded to become more heavenly focused, to get my eternal perspective right... Our life here is a preparation, and a mere blip in comparison to eternity. This is something which is laying heavily on my heart and I need to rectify in my life right now.

2009/8/2 18:06

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy