Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Faith Healing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
robbyk

Madison, WI

Faith Healing

As a personal recipient of two recent occurrences of instantaneous healings after the laying on of hands or prayer from the church [10 years severe chronic nerve pain from a fractured neck as well as complete healing from a broken foot one day after the fact], let's just say, "I believe in the power of prayer to heal miraculously".

Near my home town of Madison, a trial is ongoing regarding a girl who fell into a diabetic coma and died over about a two week period. The parents and the Bible study group apparently felt the girl had a serious flu. The father is now on trial and the mother is facing 25 years.

Details at http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,535861,00.html?test=latestnews (I'm not sure I got this link to work)

A couple of caveats. First I do not habitually listen to the news in any way, far too busy to waste time on that, I'll catch a quick update online using RSS feeds, but this is local and the scuttlebutt caught my attention. Second I cannot vouch for any details of this news account since I have not really read the story in earnest.

My question is what all of you who have sincerely earned my respect as learned Bible scholars, think of this in general. Should the government be allowed to come in and sentence these parents, if indeed, they believed the daughter had the flu?

I should add, I horribly injured my foot again this winter and refused to go to the doctor, but trusted in prayer alone. I and the Church prayed for healing but it didn't occur…yet.

I'll also add I have ALWAYS sought medical counsel for my wife and son. I have dropped my health coverage on myself, though. I am also in excellent health as a vegetarian health nut [working my way back to the Garden] that hasn't has even a serious flu since 1995 or so.

2009/7/31 15:28Profile

Re: Faith Healing

A better link here, [url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,535861,00.html]Father prayed for daughter that died[/url]

It's people like this that make us look stupid. Pray yes, but at the same time take them to the hospital. We have Christians everywhere that won't go to a Dr because they think that is a sign that their faith is weak. Poppycock! He could have taken her to a Natural path Doctor if he was against conventional medicine.

Then again, that child may have had to die for him to go to jail so that a greater good could be accomplished, the will of God. Only God knows. :-o

2009/7/31 17:27
robbyk

Madison, WI

Re:

Thanks Deep Thinker for the link that actually works, I'd better stick to what I know how to do from now on!

Anyway, you think then 25 years is a good and fitting punishment for the mother. Probably Waupan for violent offenders.

Of course, apart from praying, here in Madison everyone is a victim of their circumstances so even the most heinous crimes are undeserving of jail, just treatment, maybe 2-3 years at most, electronic monitoring.

But mistakenly believe along with others the child has the flu, and pray and off you go for 25 years. She’ll probably live a couple of years in prison, ehh? At least then she can join her daughter.

Mind you, my wife and son agree with you and I just wanted to see how other scholars felt.

I guess I don't buy that.

2009/7/31 21:43Profile

Re: .

Quote:
Anyway, you think then 25 years is a good and fitting punishment for the mother?

25 years is a long time. The name of Jesus is blasphemed among the gentiles because of situations like this. This has brought a great reproach on God. This has just solidified the Atheist claims that God is dead seeing that He doesn't answer prayer even when someone is at deaths door and supposedly a prayer coming from His own children. As we see more and more ministers either coming out of the closet or bowing to immorality. Now we have this foolish people that have no common sense to do what's right, and further having no discernment. We are becoming more and more crazy in the sight of the world not because we are associated with Jesus Christ (which would be a lot better) but because our association with not being able to care for our children. This is very grievous. Paul's admonishment to us gentiles is to live a quiet and peaceable life while we journey this side of eternity.

My heart is heavy.

2009/7/31 22:15
robbyk

Madison, WI

Re:

My heart is heavy as well.

But I feel the “world” no longer needs any such examples to serve as a "reproach" in their attack on Christianity and it matters not to them if there is a scapegoat. If not this then that. Here in Madison, the politicians and the public school officials and the cops and the university elite need only roll their eyes and the politically correct know to nod in amusement. “Crazy Christians, none of them have any sense and they are so hateful and offensive.”

There are far deeper issues here, I believe. There is a spiritual fight in this.

You are right in that we keep losing the battles the Lord has chosen us to fight in.

But then on the human side:

In Waupan where this woman may end up, the prison chaplain is a Wiccan because Madison elitists found the evangelical pastor offensive as he might say something about God to the inmates. So they had him fired and installed the Wiccan. How well the Wiccan will console this poor woman now separated from her husband to whom she was obedient.

I will not berate Paul’s admonishment as you point out. Oh that I could continue to live a quiet life in my garden, with my music and my loving family and my daily study of the Word and the P&W and my Fellowship with the saints.

But my heart is heavy as well. My friend, I fear the world is soon coming for all of us. I’m not sure (whether we choose to or not) life will be all that quiet for any of us much longer.

Thank you for the kind reply. I was happy to hear another viewpoint.

2009/8/1 0:49Profile
HeartSong

Re:

[i]Matthew 9:29 - According to your faith be it unto you.[/i]

It matters not what the world thinks. To be concerned with the actions, or reactions, of the world is to enslave ourselves to such for this is exactly how we have come to that which we are now facing. Lines are being drawn in the sand and we are now choosing where we will stand. To choose the world, or the ways of the world, is choosing to subject oneself to the rules, or the law, of same. We are choosing this day whom we will serve.

2009/8/1 3:19Profile
robbyk

Madison, WI

Re:

Amen, yes indeed.

Heartsong wrote:

Quote:
We are chosing this day whom we will serve.

And may I add only:

Romans 8:14-18 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

2009/8/1 14:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
It matters not what the world thinks. To be concerned with the actions, or reactions, of the world is to enslave ourselves to such for this is exactly how we have come to that which we are now facing. Lines are being drawn in the sand and we are now choosing where we will stand. To chose the world, or the ways of the world, is choosing to subject oneself to the rules, or the law, of same. We are choosing this day whom we will serve.

It is important what the world thinks. If you sin against your neighbour or you do something that looks wrong in the public eye, we are being watched by this world, and whilst you think that it doesn't matter what the world thinks of how this Dad didn't do what any normal Dad would have done by taken his child to the hospital, that tells the world that serving Jesus Christ is not good at all if His own children are forbidden to see a Doctor.

This Dad testified in court that the bible forbade him to take his daughter to a Doctor. I don't know what bible he was reading but there is no such commands given. Now that is not drawing the line in whom I choose to serve this day, this is stupidity of the nth degree from a man who does not know God at all who inserts foolish commands in the bible or interprets them to mean something else.

A child is dead because of stupidity, a disease that was treatable. And you say that the world's opinion doesn't matter? It's important to have a reputation in this world, NOT COMPROMISING with it, but your reputation can be that of a just man. There is nothing wrong with having that reputation. Your reputation could be that your a great giver to the poor but others hate you because you speak the truth, that too is having a reputation. But let us not have a reputation as an evil doer.

Jesus paid His taxes one day because He didn't want to offend the world. The last thing He wanted was a scandal on the 6 o'clock news stating that Jesus defrauded the IRS. That is not what He came for, thus it was necessary to obey the laws of the land as long as it didn't interfere with His mission.

2009/8/1 22:45
robbyk

Madison, WI

Re:

I suspect the passion which you make your point Deep Thinker is evidence of your strong love for our Saviour and for His precious Holy Name. God bless you!

Know that in many areas of my city you are no longer allowed to voice those convictions as you are a Christian. We have religion free zones [UW, the capital square, our many abortion clinics…] to protect the people from the intolerant hatred and bigoted homophobic onslaughts of hurtful divisive Christians.

So thank God for forums such as this! However I think we have begun to bifurcate in our discussion…

My original query being how do we feel about being thrown in jail [silenced] for bearing our convictions as Christians, in this case, miraculous healings [or lack of] of which I am a delighted recipient. I really didn't know the exact specifics as I mentioned.

25 years? My God! That is just to teach us to stay in our place. This severity of sentencing wouldn't happen in the GLBT community I am sure. The Moslem community? I don’t know, thus my query.

I would once again concur with HeartSong and add:

Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

2009/8/2 2:54Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Faith Healing

I don't believe that we can tell another Christian whether or not they should be going to a doctor. That is between them and God. What is God telling them to do that is the important thing.

There are only a few Christians that I know of personally that do not believe in going to doctors. There are a lot of Christians that don't believe that God heals anymore, so they go to a doctor at the drop of the hat, and take any medication that the doctor reccomends. Most Christians that I know trust God for healing but don't have a problem with going to a doctor.

The world is not going to understand a believer that trust in the Lord for their healing and doesn't believe in going to doctors. I have known of many people that have been healed yet I never saw it on the front page of the newspaper.

On the other hand much harm has been done from Christians walking in presumption and not faith. We cannot just presume that God is going to heal us.

The doctors are loosing a lot of people also, but you very rarely see this in the newspaper. There are countless people that die in hospitals everyday from staff infections, from the wrong medication being given or too much of it. Doctors are looked upon in our society as some kind of God, and many of them are not believers and do not give the glory to God when one of their patients miraculously recovers.

I was talking to a Pentecostal brother sometime back about healing and he was telling me that the old time Pentecostals never went to the doctors. Most of them lived healthy, long lives just because they trusted the Lord to be their physician.

I would never tell anyone not to go to a doctor. That is a decision that they have to make for themselves. In the 70 and 80'S there was a man named Hobart Freeman that ministered somewhere in Indiana. He taught that Christians should trust in God alone for their healing. Many of his church members were healed, and some died. The ones that died were used as examples in the papers and his ministry came under a lot of fire. I believe that he had a very strong position concerning healing, but that is the way that he was in every thing concerning the Word of God. There was no compromise in the man. If he would still be alive today, he would he in prison along with most of his congregation.

We have to be sensitive to the voice of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit and do what God is telling us to do in the matter of healing. We cannot get out in an area of presumption and believe that God is going to heal us because he healed brother so and so. God does heal today, and I can testify to being healed and praying for people that were healed as well as being a witness of numerous healings.

Mike

2009/8/2 9:43Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy