SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Prayer time going down

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
m77

Prayer time going down

Need help on my prayer life. I'm getting too busy with work and by the time I return home, I am fully tiered and hit the bed.
I dont know whats going on I'm not praying enough. Please advice how to pray with total submission. Please pray for me - Thanks

2009/7/25 12:50Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Prayer time going down

What is important and necessary we make time for.
GOD needs to be your First Priority. Great men
of GOD rose early to meet GOD and to order their
day according to HIS purpose!

2009/7/25 13:24Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi m77...

Charles Brent once said, "Pray hardest when it is hardest to pray." Of all times to pray, these are the most important! Jesus prayed in the garden when the weight of the world was literally upon his shoulders. While his disciples were sleeping from a day of work, Jesus asked them why they couldn't tarry with him for an hour in prayer.

As for your manner of prayer: I would just advise you to speak to God in purity and honesty. He knows you better than you know yourself! He knows when you are tired, so you don't have to attempt to hide such a thing from Him. In fact, you can open up to God with all of your struggles, doubts, moments of unbelief, etc... God has a way of encouraging us through those things when we open up to Him about them.

When I first met the Lord, it was the most amazing thing to ever happen to me! However, the next day, I was afraid because I literally did not know how to pray. I cried out to God in my bedroom (with my face in a pillow) about this. I still remember the gentle nudging of the Lord telling me to simply talk to Him. I could talk to God as a man speaks with His friend (of course, knowing that this "friend" is Almighty God). I remember just pouring my thoughts, emotions, and every fiber of my being into that one-sided "conversation" as I wept out my "prayer" to the Lord with my face still in that pillow! When I finally finished speaking to the Lord, I remember sitting in silence...but literally feeling the joy and happiness of the Lord as He strengthened me with the knowledge of His love.

Brother, there is no "set in stone" way to pray, except that you pray to the Lord in honesty and purity. If you fear that you pray "amiss," then tell the Lord! Ask Him to teach you to pray! More than anything, however, I would urge you to find time where you can shut out the world (and the things of this world) and just get alone with God! You don't have to get on your knees (although you can) or place your face in a pillow (although you can). As a teenager, I would love to take a walk...where no one could see me or hear me...and just pour out my heart to God. If I was tired, I would get upon my knees (as a means of "waking me up") so that I could spend time with God (and not go a day without spending quality time with Him). Remember: Prayer is the most important thing that you will do in a day...or in this short life!

I will be praying for you. May the Lord make your prayer time to be the most marvelous times of your life!

:-)

2009/7/25 13:53Profile

Re: Early in the Morning

To ccchhhrrriiisss:

Although I believe that we should pray always, without ceasing, there is much to be said about Prayer in the Early Morning hours, before the start of our day.

[b]There are many early risers mentioned in the Bible. These men of God found solutions to life’s problems by directing their prayers to the One who would hear and assist them in the endeavours for the day. Before the day began they received the confidence necessary to shoulder responsibilities.

Abraham rose early in the morning to stand before the Lord [Gen 19.27]. Jacob rose early in the morning, to worship the Lord [Gen 28.18]. Moses rose early to build an altar to god [Exod 24.4] and to meet God at Sinai [Exod 34.4]. Hannah and Elkanah rose early to worship God [1 Sam 1.19], Job rose early to offer sacrifices [Job 1.5], David awakened early for prayer [Psalm 119.147; Psalm 57.8]. Hezekiah rose up early and gathered the rulers of the city and went up to the house of the Lord [2 Chron 29.20]. The Son of God rose early to go to a solitary place to pray [Mark 1:35][/b]

[color=990000]Wesley asked this very cogent question of his preachers. "why are we not more holy?" and he added, "Chiefly because we are enthusiasts, looking for the end without the means"

You will bear in mind that Wesley's great doctrine, next to justification by faith, was sanctification by faith.[u] He says "Which of you rises at four in the morning in the summer?"[/u]

Well let us make it six, or any other time that might be counted early. Do you rise early? If the way of sanctification is by faith, cannot I be holy and lie in bed in the morning? It is surely easy enough to believe and keep on believing in bed. But every record of God's saints teaches this salutary lesson, that it cost's the discipline of the flesh and the renunciation of physical indulgence to tread the pathway of holiness.

[u]George Muller[/u] was greatly influenced by the biography of George Whitefield, who rose at five and read the bible on his knees. When he was growing old his friends said, "You had better cease rising early" but he refused their kindly and gentle admonitions, choosing to rise still at five, even if later he retired to rest.

[u]Hudson Taylor[/u], founder of the 'China Inland Mission' could say that for years the sun had not risen and found him in bed.. I wonder if this is one of the secrets of the great saints of ages past. Gordon of Khartoum, rising early before the duties of the day, entering his small tent, putting up the flag outside to show that he was engaged, and to let the army men know that he was seeking the face of God.

The price of power...... is the way of discipline, and the way of faith. [/color]

[b]Jesus said "I am the WAY the TRUTH and the LIFE"......Without the WAY there is no GOING, without the TRUTH there is no KNOWING without the LIFE there is no LIVING....[/b]

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:
Hi m77...

Charles Brent once said, "Pray hardest when it is hardest to pray." Of all times to pray, these are the most important! Jesus prayed in the garden when the weight of the world was literally upon his shoulders. While his disciples were sleeping from a day of work, Jesus asked them why they couldn't tarry with him for an hour in prayer.

As for your manner of prayer: I would just advise you to speak to God in purity and honesty. He knows you better than you know yourself! He knows when you are tired, so you don't have to attempt to hide such a thing from Him. In fact, you can open up to God with all of your struggles, doubts, moments of unbelief, etc... God has a way of encouraging us through those things when we open up to Him about them.

When I first met the Lord, it was the most amazing thing to ever happen to me! However, the next day, I was afraid because I literally did not know how to pray. I cried out to God in my bedroom (with my face in a pillow) about this. I still remember the gentle nudging of the Lord telling me to simply talk to Him. I could talk to God as a man speaks with His friend (of course, knowing that this "friend" is Almighty God). I remember just pouring my thoughts, emotions, and every fiber of my being into that one-sided "conversation" as I wept out my "prayer" to the Lord with my face still in that pillow! When I finally finished speaking to the Lord, I remember sitting in silence...but literally feeling the joy and happiness of the Lord as He strengthened me with the knowledge of His love.

Brother, there is no "set in stone" way to pray, except that you pray to the Lord in honesty and purity. If you fear that you pray "amiss," then tell the Lord! Ask Him to teach you to pray! More than anything, however, I would urge you to find time where you can shut out the world (and the things of this world) and just get alone with God! You don't have to get on your knees (although you can) or place your face in a pillow (although you can). As a teenager, I would love to take a walk...where no one could see me or hear me...and just pour out my heart to God. If I was tired, I would get upon my knees (as a means of "waking me up") so that I could spend time with God (and not go a day without spending quality time with Him). Remember: Prayer is the most important thing that you will do in a day...or in this short life!

I will be praying for you. May the Lord make your prayer time to be the most marvelous times of your life!

:-)

2009/7/25 14:50

Quote:
I don't know what is going on I'm not praying enough

What is praying enough? and when do you think you have prayed enough?

You can pray and work at the same time, keep an attitude of prayer throughout the day. There have been many times that the LORD has visited me when I was just going about my business. There is no formula and there is no pressure to pray unless the holy Spirit is urging you to do so at that moment. Be free in your thinking on this subject and begin to be thankful. Put a bible in the bathroom and carry a pocket sized one just in case you feel like reading when your not home. Remember our Christ has made us free from formula and any kind of works that bog us down in association with salvation. But above all, be thankful even when things get tough at work. And whatever you do, don't get caught up in someone else's prayer time. Your prayer time may be all day at work just having a mind that is staid on Him, when you get home all you have time for is sleep, then sleep. Thank God for sleep.

2009/7/25 17:07
JoanM

Re: Prayer time going down - Praying with total submission

Quote:
Need help on my prayer life. I'm getting too busy with work and by the time I return home, I am fully tiered and hit the bed.

I dont know whats going on I'm not praying enough. [u]Please advice how to pray with total submission[/u]. Please pray for me - Thanks

Several people have lately posted about this struggle in the forums and of course many in history report similar times (to a lesser or greater degree). [b]“Have you forgotten that it is not natural to anyone to pray? 'The carnal mind is enmity against God.'”- R. C. Ryle[/b] comes to my mind.

I know you say you “don't know what's going on” but your post identifies at least one [u]world[/u]ly difficulty: “[u][b]too[/u][/b] busy with work,” and a [u]flesh[/u] difficulty, “fully tired,” and then there is the cosmic battle to recall (world, flesh, devil).

Some people have found these two verses lead to freedom. 1John 2:16: For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. Luke 8:7: And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it. If applicable, this would suggest that Bible study suffers and that what you hear in preaching fades quickly.

Maybe you are praying a much as you truly [u]want[/u] to. (assess competing wants compared to the Love, intimacy, and fruit with God). Maybe you are praying as much as you truly [u]think[/u] you need to. (remember double-mindedness and the call for a re-newed mind?) If you made this post because you are sensing conviction, it is wonderful because you know how to deal with sin - or sensing the effects of a starvation diet? you know where to find food and the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

Maybe you hit it on the head (maybe you somehow [u]do[/u] “know what's going on”) when you asked “Please advise how to pray with total submission.” If I used the word submission, I would be looking for a death of self. Conformed to His death is also a process. I doubt anyone could pray with total submission (no matter what they mean by that word) unless they were totally submitted.

Encouraging thoughts: You were not too busy to come to this site. And what an odd site among so many Christian sites (revival?, “Old path”?). You'll find a lot that encourages personal revival here. And you were open with a need to Brothers and Sisters. We all say: Oh, to love Him with the Love where in He first loved us. We would never meet Him too little in prayer and in His Word. Do you remember Him? Keep remembering Him. It is in His character to remember and come.

2009/7/25 20:54Profile
JesusLoves

I am still a work in progress- but let me share few details that worked for me.

The other responses are words of great wisdom- so reread them.

Busy –tired- hit the bed-
I understand - a simple thing that worked for me is- before getting out of bed- sit or kneel for at least 2 to 3 minutes and say- Holy God THIS IS M77- I love you – I love you – I love you. Here I am to tell you that I love you - trust you--- I might forget you during the day, but I want you to know that I love you – help me to make your heart happy. IN JESUS NAME -AMEN

Then without feeling guilty just get up and go about doing what needs to be done- and offer scriptures as prayer in your mind or loud- like psalms 23 o lord you- you ARE my shepherd. Thank you for I shall not lack anything – you make me to lie down in green pastures…………….or any scriptures of your choice.

Usually busy people are in a vicious cycle= hurry-neglect prayer- feel guilty-feel unworthy-then keep away from prayer.

So start with just 2-3 minutes. Very soon you will keep waking up earlier as the taste of the sweet presence of the most High God cannot be neglected anymore.
Repeat at the end of the day- if very tired then just take 1 minute to kneel and say – Abba father this is m77 just coming to say Thank you. Love you. Surrender my life to you again-IN JESUS NAME -AMEN
Throughout the day make A CONSCIOUS EFFORT TO TALK TO God about everything.
Memorize scriptures- and use it constantly- His word is true. I have been busy –crazy busy but HIS WORD IS TRUE- seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added unto you. Be patient- FACTS- FAITH – FEELINGS=I made the mistake of putting feelings before faith and facts that is the word of God. Still making the same mistakes- being busy –then ignoring God –but like Joyce Meyer says I am not where I should be, but I am not where I use to be. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

2009/7/26 2:06Profile

Re:

Praying is not only a sit down or on your knees act, it's more than that. Our posture has nothing to do with contrition, that is the traditional mindset of what the old man thinks is prayer. It is carnal thinking to think that way. God is super intelligent and we think so far below of what He wants us to think. "Put on the mind of Christ" is the objective, not the mind of our traditions that void out the word of God and makes God out to be some intelligence that can't comprehend human frailty. Look beyond the veil, this flesh because it profiteth little, but the Spirit profiteth life and peace. Standing, sitting, walking, flat on the floor on your face, in the cellar, at work, wherever you are praise Him in your mind. Your lips don't need to move, God sees all, knows all. He can mind read as well as heart read. Limiting God to someone else's tradition is not only wrong, but we are in danger of comparing ourselves with one another. We are all different and unique, everyone can't be me and thank God for that (right waltern?:-P).

Let us be real to God and to one another. Taking on form will not please God as we can see about the Pharisee in the Temple, however, the other guy knew that God sees all and he wasn't about to kid around with God. That man went down justified because he was real before God and didn't put on another man's face.

Be Real before God and He will be Real to you.

2009/7/26 11:27
kakus

Ghana

Re: prayer time going down

I agree with u Deep thinker. I tell my friends just as one doesn't forget his name at any time, even in a noisy place so should the child of God not forget his name when he's called by Him in the midst of that noise. I believe one could have a time alone with the Father even when we are busy or we are in the midst of others. It's amazing how He does reveal Himself even in the things we might call distractions. Once ones mind is stayed on Him, it's done. That notwithstanding, I think if it is within our power, we could break into some solitude sometimes. Heaven rules!

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:
Quote:
I don't know what is going on I'm not praying enough

What is praying enough? and when do you think you have prayed enough?

You can pray and work at the same time, keep an attitude of prayer throughout the day. There have been many times that the LORD has visited me when I was just going about my business. There is no formula and there is no pressure to pray unless the holy Spirit is urging you to do so at that moment. Be free in your thinking on this subject and begin to be thankful. Put a bible in the bathroom and carry a pocket sized one just in case you feel like reading when your not home. Remember our Christ has made us free from formula and any kind of works that bog us down in association with salvation. But above all, be thankful even when things get tough at work. And whatever you do, don't get caught up in someone else's prayer time. Your prayer time may be all day at work just having a mind that is staid on Him, when you get home all you have time for is sleep, then sleep. Thank God for sleep.

2009/7/26 17:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy