SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : how does a new testament prophet equip the saint for work?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
lydian

how does a new testament prophet equip the saint for work?

11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,

I am seeking to understand the role of a prophet in the NT. Can anyone help define their function in the church, and how they train the saints for the work of the ministry?

thanks all, hope to hear from you all. Maybe their are some prophets on here who can shed some light

2009/7/16 13:26Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: how does a new testament prophet equip the saint for work?

The prophet's function is to bring forth a
word from the Spirit of truth and the LORD.
Pastors and teachers do the equipping and
training of saints for ministry.

2009/7/16 13:37Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: how does a new testament prophet equip the saint for work?

Not everyone that moves in the gift of prophecy as listed in 1Corinthians 12 is a prophet. Anyone that is filled with the Holy Spirit can be used by God in prophecy. Prophecy is not some weird mysterious thing as some have made it out to be, but is simply speaking forth the will of God for the purpose of building up the Body of Christ.

In Ephesians 4 the five offices are listed and the prophet is one of them, and through the prophetic word the saints are in the process of being equipped and perfected for the ministry that the Lord has called them to.

Mike

2009/7/16 14:23Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Prophecy is not some weird mysterious thing as some have made it out to be, but is simply speaking forth the will of God for the purpose of building up the Body of Christ.

This is very true. The term "prophecy" has recently become all but disfigured to mean almost exclusively "prognosticate", which is another unfortunate result of charismania without Biblical knowledge. When we hear the term "prophet" or "prophesy" today, we are inclined to think of a man laying hands on people and predicting their future in the name of Jesus.

However, this is a common misapplication of what the Biblical term "prophesy" actually means. The Greek word renders simply a "speaking forth" (pro) of the "burden of God". Therefore, if a Christian is admonishing, exhorting the people with the burden of God, he is "prophesying" in a very true sense. Whether or not the exhortation or admonishment includes mentionings of future events is irrelevant; it is purely and essentially the speaking forth of the mind and heart of God that is the qualifier.

An excellent book that explains this topic more lucidly is the Puritan William Perkins' fine treatise, "The Art of Prophesying", first published in 1592.

2009/7/16 15:11Profile
lydian

Re:

yes Paul, the very mention of prophet/prophecy makes many off us step back as we have witnessed so much over emphasis abuse and error.

I know God has a place for it though, and im not going to allow the pendulum to swing to the opposite extreme where i dont practice it or encourage it myself.

That books sounds very interesting, i shoul check it out. Thanks

2009/7/16 16:58Profile
lydian

Re:

hi mike,
do you have any specific examples of what a Prophet would do? as in practical examples.

If all the prophet does is bring forth words then why the office , as all the chritians who are not prophets can prophesy anyway.

"and through the prophetic word the saints are in the process of being equipped and perfected"

can you expound a bit more on this?

i think what im getting at is, what does a prophet "do"

thanks for your input by the way

2009/7/16 17:05Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Hope you don't mind me popping in on this discussion. There are several passages in scripture that can help you understand the role of a NT prophet. Agabus, Barnabas, Niger, Lucius, Manaen, Saul, Judas, Silas are all mentioned in the NT as being prophets. Some scriptural referenced that might be worth study are: Acts 11:27-28, Acts 13:1-4, Acts 15:32-34, Acts 21:8-11 (A note on this scripture. Agabus filled the equipping office of a prophet, the four daughters of Philip were most likely not prophets, but rather operating in the gift of prophesy given in 1 Corinthians.). Jeremiah 1:10 could be very helpful in determining God's plan for using prophets, although Jeremiah was an OT prophet. Here is some of the text from a recent class our fellowship conducted on the five fold ministry giftings. "The following are some of the functions of prophets which can be deduced from the composite of many different Scriptures. Reveal the mind of Christ and give specific instruction concerning His personal will for the lives of individuals as well as for groups. Unveil revelation and illumination and inspired application of the Logos. Give confirmation and witness in various ways through their ministry. Relate divine direction to the Church and churches. Elicit repentance, reformation, and restoration." Hope this is of some help.

2009/7/16 17:14Profile
lydian

Re:

hi sojourner7

you think the passage is saying, only the pastors do the equipping and teachers?

if so, dont apostles and evangelists train and equipp? Ray comfort regarding evangelism would a magor example of training and equipping.

just trying to understand this whole thing, thanks for your input.love to hear more of your thoughts

2009/7/16 17:19Profile
lydian

Re:

twayneb

great post, thanks, lots to think about.

2009/7/16 17:31Profile
clintstone

tulsa,ok.

Re:

yes , twayneb , did post a good one . the ? of how does anew testament prophet equip the church , is a good one . I believe apostles establish churches , and once established and set up with a pastor , prophets can come in and give devine directions to the local church , this could be to a small group of believers or to a large local body of believers . I truely believe i am called to be a prophet, so i have sought God much on my personal role in life . the role that i only come up with is to pray . Prayer , prayer prayer , which is quit enjoyable , but the only Joy that thrills me to the utmost , is to truely know that i have heard from God . The prophet gets words from God about future events , I believe the reason is to Pray about it ,and to stir the church to pray for the people in harms way, to be spared from calamity. This office also know how to preach perfectly fitted words to peoples' heart cries to God words of encouragement and exhortation to God with God and unto Perfection of Holiness and sanctification . One of my favorite scriptures is rev.19:10 , which says . " worship God , for the testimony of Jesus Is the Spirit of prophesy ," all Christians can prophesy , but i do know that all are not called to the 5 fold ministry gift of the office of a prophet. Prophets in this 5 fold ministry gift know the devine direction that the local churchs, that God sends them too , are supposed to go . They inspire the local churh ,they are sent too , with words straight from the throne room of God , to take the path that God wants them to go . This is a broad definition . Hope it helps . Most men who have ever called themselves prophets , or who hav ever been called so by others are not true prophets . I know by personal exsprerience that coming to a place of functioning in this office , is a very sobering and shut off from everything ! place of prayer.I also believe that most of , if not all of the Gifts of the Spirit function through the new testament prophet , and this is the norm for this office . . God Bless , and welcome to sermonindex . Clint .

2009/7/16 18:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy