See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Gospel of The Kingdom

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

The Gospel of The Kingdom

My questions to you dear people, which could also include opinions if you feel so inspired is this:

What is the gospel of the kingdom?
What is it that we preach?

Seems a bit daft even asking such a thing but I heard a preach about it and would like some thoughts.

When Jesus started his ministry one of the first things he said was 'repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Matthew 4:17. There is numerous other references to the kindom in the gospels and also in the writings of Paul. Many times we are told that the kingdom is like a mustard seed, a net etc. But what is it? How is it manifested? The church can't be the kingdom because it is never mentioned that we ought to preach the gospel of the church.

Zeke

2004/9/5 15:21Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re: The Gospel of The Kingdom

Hi Zeke,I posted this a couple of days ago in another thread, but i think it got lost in the flow.I'll post it here as i think its more appropriate.
In the gospel of Matthew the writer talks almost exclusivly about the kingdom of heaven in mark its almost in terms of the kingdom of God.I believe the gospels clearly talk with good reason about 3 kingdoms ? I'll throw this in for thought,
Jesus came to earth He embodied the kingdom of God.
Jesus brought heaven like conditions to earth through his ministry.
people in the kingdom of hell experienced the kingdom of heaven through Jesus being the kingdom of God
Healings deliverence provision,which are heaven like conditions etc, although heavenly did not bring folk into the kingdom of God...not until the Spirit came at pentecost.
we can be affected touched outwardly by being in this world,by heavenly conditions.We can experience God's love but still not enter into that rest,where the kingdom of God resides.
just my thoughts!

:-)

2004/9/5 19:04Profile

Re:

The Gospel of the Kingdom of God is the ability to have God rule soverignly in our lives. Jesus said repent for the kingdom of God is at hand. He was saying that very soon, after he was buried and raised from the dead, that the kingdom of God would come into this world. No longer would there be a need for the temple and its curtain which hides the holiest of holies. The moment Jesus died the curtain was rent from top to Bottom by God.

We as christians, as partakers of the Saints in light now have the ability to allow God to rule soverignly in our lives. To allow his holy Spirit to direct our paths.

So the Kingdom of God, is just like if you said the Kingdom of Henry VIII. It means that God is the King, the Soverign ruler of all things. And now that it is here, he can rule my life and direct my steps.

Mitch

2004/9/7 10:09
rookie

Re:

I believe Jesus taught about the kingdom by what He said in Matthew 5:3-12. In His teachings from synagogue to synagogue, town to town, He taught the people about what it means to be His disciple. The teaching in verses 3-12 explain the different outcomes that each disciple would experience as he followed Christ. Jesus said that His disciples would know a blessedness that can only come from living under His rule, in His kingdom.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/9/7 11:24Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

The parallel verse in Mark 1:15 is illuminating: [i]"The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!"[/i]

What's striking is how this verse connects the good news (gospel) and the kingdom. The gospel that we are to believe in is that the kingdom of God was near (and subsequently inaugurated by Jesus' life, death, and resurrection).

So I agree, this topic is of extreme importance; especially if we profess to preach the [i]gospel[/i], we had better figure what the gospel and the kingdom is!

[b]Mitch:[/b]

Quote:
It means that God is the King, the Soverign ruler of all things. And now that it is here, he can rule my life and direct my steps.

Amen. I like this.

2004/9/7 13:40Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

Agent001 wrote:
So I agree, this topic is of extreme importance; especially if we profess to preach the [i]gospel[/i], we had better figure what the gospel and the kingdom is!

Tis true what you say

Quote:

[b]Mitch:[/b]
It means that God is the King, the Soverign ruler of all things. And now that it is here, he can rule my life and direct my steps.

Welcome back Mitch! :-o
Can't get enough of the edification I see.:-D

So we preach the kingdom about a king, the suffering servant.

I am just trying to line it up in my mind as to what the nature of my preaching should be. I might be just splitting hairs but in myself I would like to understand how the gospel and the kingdom come together in bringing the message.

As I am sitting here the thought about preaching came is that it is not just centered around a cleansing and repentance of sin, but a lifting of mans existence to another dimension. It seems that there is a lifestyle of the kingdom and a way of living that is so radically different from what normal humans live that Jesus tells us to repent, believe the good news. Paul tells us to set our hearts and minds on things above, for we died and our lives are now hid with Christ in God.

So in the process of presenting a gospel message how does the kingdom get brought into it? It seems to be important enough that Jesus spoke about it alot. I heard a comment that you cannot think your way to spiritual maturity it only happens by obedience. I think in this topic maybe just plain obedience to preach the gospel will help the revelation come.

2004/9/7 15:56Profile
rookie

Re:

This is what I taught to the congregation that I served as an elder over.

"Matthew 5:1-12

Man is lost without God. Being born of the flesh, his affections are for the things of this world. The world will teach him to worship himself. The world will teach him that high self-esteem is the outcome for which he must strive. The pursuit of money, power, sexual prowess, and the glory of physical and mental domination are the paths one must choose to follow. There are other paths which man may travel. Paul warns Timothy of these men who profess God, yet deny Him by the path they travel. “But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come; for men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power…always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.” 2 Timothy 3:1-7. Paul is giving us a picture of a church in the last days. These men learn the Scriptures, always seeking to be fed, yet they deny the power of the Holy Spirit. They have a form of godliness, which the world sees as hypocrisy.

There is one last path defined in Scripture. “A highway shall be there, and a road, and it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, but it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road, although a fool, shall not go astray.” Isaiah 35:8. Jesus is the Highway of Holiness. Our Lord will teach us to follow Him along this path of righteousness. The world will call our path, a fool’s path. Yet, we are His disciples and He will not lead us astray. What will we learn? What will be the substance of our experience? What will our relationship with Jesus mean to us? Let us listen to Jesus, He is faithful to answer these questions. Let’s hear the good news!

Jesus came to preach the good news. Within this section of Scripture, Jesus defines the substance of the gospel. Paul declares, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.” You see, Paul had at one time struggled with the world telling him that his path was foolish. But as we will see, Jesus promises a blessed life to those who follow Him. Paul learned as Moses, “choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt; for he looked to the reward.” Hebrews 11:25-26. The promises far outweigh the reproaches of the world. O the bliss of traveling along the Highway of Holiness! Jesus gives us an itinerary of the experiences we will find as we travel the Highway of Holiness.

Verse 3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” O the bliss of one who has been taught by Jesus that his life, controlled by self will and self-centeredness, means spiritual death. The Holy Spirit will say, “Give up, surrender to Me, listen to the words of your Savior.” “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God…you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, Abba Father.” O the bliss of experiencing a life that is directed by our heavenly Father. We will decrease as He fills our life with His life.!

2004/9/7 16:06Profile
rookie

Re:

continued,

"Verse 4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” Hunter testified to this precept this past Sunday. Hunter will have surgery on his shoulder this Thursday. While driving home from Bakersfield last week, his shoulder was giving him great pain. He cried out to the Lord, take this pain away. The Lord responded, “Ask for forgiveness of the pain you have brought to others.” He began to weep for the sins he had committed against others. Hunter, weeping, prayed for forgiveness. He then realized that the Lord had taken away the shoulder pain. Again Hunter wept harder. This time his heart was lifted up in the bliss of the Lord’s work. The Lord had comforted him.

As we follow Jesus, He will reveal to us our own sin that put Him on the cross. I believe He does this to reveal His love for us. “My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives….but He (chastens us) for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.” Hebrews 12:5-11. The Lord will soften our hearts. We will weep for our sins as He shows us the iniquity within us. He will forgive us and fill us with His righteousness. We will be comforted because of His chastening. For we know that we are sons of God. O the bliss of learning why He sacrificed Himself for me!

Verse 5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.” What do the philosophies of men teach? Darwin preached that competition within species brought about evolution. Those who are able to adapt more readily to their changing environment evolve into something better. Survival of the fittest is the cry of Darwinist. Therefore the rules by which men live must always change. Denying God and conscience, men strive against one another for the substances the world is hopeful for. The hope in worldly things causes men to war and lust after those things that can never satisfy. In Isaiah, talking about the judgment of the Lord, “His breath is like an overflowing stream, which reaches up to the neck, to sift the nations with the sieve of futility; and there shall be a bridle in the jaws of the people, causing them to err.” Isaiah 30:28. As a child of God we see this foolishness all around us. We see the futility of man’s hopes. We learn as the Old Testament saints, to “embraced them (the promises) and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland…But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.” Hebrews 11:13-16.

Those who walk this earth following Jesus, will learn that striving, bitterness, covetousness, envy, wrath, pride, and the rage of the flesh are worthless in the heavenly city. Those who experience the yoke of Jesus will rest in His power. O the bliss of walking the Highway of Holiness with Jesus as a pilgrim on this earth.!

continued...

2004/9/7 16:07Profile
rookie

Re:

Verse 6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.” Many teach about the righteousness that is imputed or declared by God for those who call on the name of the Lord. Not many know of the righteousness that comes from following Jesus day by day. In the previous verses we have seen a change come upon those who follow Jesus. Once we were proud in spirit, now poor. Once we were oblivious to sin, now mournful of its consequence in our life. Once we demanded our rights, now we are bondservants. Through the refining work of Jesus by the Holy Spirit we are introduced to our Savior. The more we experience His life, the more we will hunger and thirst for more of Him. O the bliss of being filled with His life!

The previous attributes grown into a disciple of Christ speak of the inward work of the Holy Spirit in ones life. These attributes speak of how we have learned to love God with our whole heart, with our whole soul and with all of our strength. The ways and hopes that once filled our life have now diminished and everything that is of Him has increased. In the verses to follow we will learn that our love of God will enable us then to love others as He has enabled us to love Him.

Verse 7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.” I have failed many times in trying to minister to others as Christ has ministered to me. I easily forget the path my Savior has led me along. The thoughts I write of today have taken my Lord four years of patiently teaching me. I have stumbled and sinned against my Savior. Yet He has been merciful with me. He is faithful. I easily forget how I learned. And yet I do not faithfully and patiently teach others in the same way that I have learned from Him. I become critical of others, thinking to myself, why don’t they understand? Again my Lord convicts me of my sin. I am beginning to understand how mercy affects how I love others. Or more to the point, how the lack of mercy hinders me from learning to love others as He has loved me. I can only imagine the bliss of ministering to others as He has ministered to me. Lord, have mercy on me a sinner. Lead me along the Highway of Holiness.

continued...

2004/9/7 16:08Profile
rookie

Re:

Verse 8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” Paul wrote of Timothy, “For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state. For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus. But you know his proven character…” Philippians 2:20-22. In another place Paul wrote of Timothy, “…I remember you in my prayers night and day, greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy, when I call to remembrance the genuine (unhypocritical) faith that is in you…” 2 Timothy 1:3-5 Paul testifies of Timothy’s pure heart. A heart that does not seek its own glory, but will sacrifice all for the things of Christ. The faith of Timothy relies not on the powers of the flesh but looks to the power that is in Christ. Having anything less than a pure heart for the things of Christ, will only diminish our ability to love one another. “And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.” Acts 2:46-47 O the bliss of seeing God work mightily all around you!

Verse 9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.” Paul exhorts us, “to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” To love others as Jesus loves us, requires that we also endeavor to grow together as brothers and sisters in the unity of Christ. Only then, will we understand how Jesus creates the bond of peace within His church. As we travel along the Highway of Holiness, we will experience the unity that comes not by the flesh but by following the Spirit. My heart rejoices when I meet another pilgrim on the path. I see Jesus in them. This last Thursday I met a stranger who is my brother. The joy of the unity I experienced with my brother filled me with bliss! Thinking back to our meeting my heart sings, “For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.” Psalm 84:10

As we learn the joy of peacemaking within His church, Jesus will call us to be peacemakers in the world. “How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things!” Romans 10:14-15 The sons of God will have good things to talk about! Amen!
continued...

2004/9/7 16:09Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy