SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : PRAYER FOR ANOINTING

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
chapel

PRAYER FOR ANOINTING

PRAYER FOR ANOINTING

It is time, 0 God, for Thee to work, for the enemy has entered into Thy pasture, and the sheep are torn and scattered. False shepherds abound who deny the danger and laugh at the perils which surround Thy flock. Lord Jesus, I come to Thee for spiritual preparation. Lay Thy hand upon me, anoint me with the oil of the New Testament prophet.
Save me from the error of judging a church by its size, its popularity or the amount of its yearly offering.
Help me to remember that I am a prophet - not a promoter, not a religious manager.
Let me never become a slave to crowds. Heal my soul of carnal ambitions and deliver me from the itch for publicity.
Lay Thy terror upon me, 0 God, and drive me to the place of prayer, where I may wrestle with principalities and powers and the rulers of the darkness of this world.
Teach me self-discipline, that I may be a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

A.W. Tozer

2009/7/13 4:47Profile
JoanM

Re: PRAYER FOR ANOINTING

I appreciate your post here as well as the one from A. W. Tozer, Men Who Met God (thread is Worship, Wonder and Awesome Fear).

In the weekly Encouragements to Prayer that I offer in my fellowship, I was convicted this week of my neglect in this area. The result was the Encouragement to Prayer below.

Murray and Tozer agree on a relationship between the fear of God and prayer. The bolded words are as written by Murray. The source is The "Secret Series", from the Ninteeth Day of [u]The Secret of Adoration[/u]. This set of 12 pocket-sized books was written over the course of five years and is regrettably out of print as a set.

I particularly like the Biblical evidence from Acts. 9:31 of how a church grows in numbers (fear of God is now added to persecution as an alternative to popular worldly methods). I recall the “comfort” of the Comforter (John 16: 7-11).Quite an anointing.

[b][size=small]Encouragement to Prayer[/size][/b]

[[b]Preface[/b]]: I know it is “religiously incorrect,” these days, to speak about the fear of God and His Holiness. This could explain much. May this add what has been missing to these encouragements to prayer.

[b]The Fear of God[/b] by Andrew Murray

“Blessed is the man who feareth the Lord, who delighteth greatly in His Commandments.” - Psalms 121: 1, Psalms 128:1, 4.

THE fear of God – these words characterize the religion of the Old Testament, and the foundation which it laid for the more abundant life of the New. “The gift of holy fear” is ever still the great desire of the child of God, and an essential part of a life that is to make a real impression on the world around. It is one of the great promises of the new covenant in Jeremiah: “I will make an everlasting covenant with them; [b]and I will put My fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from Me.[/b]” [Jer. 32:40]

We find the perfect combination of the two in the Acts 9:31. “The churches had peace, being edified, and [b]walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit[/b], were multiplied.”

And Paul more than once gives fear a high place in the Christian life. “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who worketh in you.” “Perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (Phil. 2:12; 2 Cor. 7:1)

It has often been said that the lack of the fear of God is one of the things in which our modern times cannot compare favorably with the times of the Puritans and the Covenanters. No wonder then that there is so much cause of complaint in regard to the reading of God's Word, to the worshiping in His house, and the absence of that spirit of continuous prayer which marked the early Church. It is essential that texts like the one at the head of this reading should be expounded, and young converts fully instructed in the need and the blessedness of a deep fear of God, leading to an unceasing prayerfulness as one of the essential elements of the life of faith.

Let us in the inner chamber earnestly cultivate this grace. Let us hear the word coming out of the very heavens: “Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? for Thou only art holy.” “Let us have grace whereby we may serve God acceptably [b]with reverence and godly fear[/b].” [Rev. 15:4; Heb.12:28]

As we take the word “Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord” into our hearts, and believe that here is one of the deepest secrets of blessedness, we shall seek, in every approach to God, in His fear to worship toward His holy temple. “Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling.” [Psm. 2:11]

([b]07-12-09[/b] – Quotes from men and women of prayer.)

2009/7/13 6:18Profile
chapel

Re: Encouragements to Prayer

Hi JoanM,

I'm sorry this slipped by, this is really good.
Thank you for posting it.

Lee

2009/7/19 13:32Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

And you know one of the worse things that can happen to a person is when he/she no longer fears God! You see this lack in folks who have apostatized. They will argue that this 'fear of God' means love. After this interpretation became popular in the 1960-1970s, a mass falling away from Truth began...

Thanks for posting this. It is edifying, IMHO.
ginnyrose

2009/7/19 19:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy