SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Some False Belief Systems within Christianity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Some False Belief Systems within Christianity

[b]Pelagianism[/b]

The teaching of a monk named Pelagius in the fifth Century. He taught that man's will was—and still is—free to choose good or evil and there is no inherited sin (through Adam). Every infant born into the world is in the same condition as Adam before the fall and becomes a sinner because he sins. This is opposed to the Biblical teaching that we are by nature children of wrath (Eph. 2:3) and that we sin because we are sinners. Pelagius said we are able to keep the commandments of God because God has given us the ability. Therefore, there is no need of redemption and the crucifixion of Jesus is merely a supreme example of love, humility, obedience, and sacrifice. This heresy has its relatives in the form of the cults that deny the total dependence upon God and maintain that salvation is obtainable through our own efforts.

[b]Antinomianism a.k.a. "Carnal Christianity" / "Easy Believism"[/b]

The word comes from the Greek anti, against, and nomos, law. It is the unbiblical practice of living without regard to the righteousness of God, using God's grace as a license to sin, and trusting grace to cleanse of sin. In other words, since grace is infinite and we are saved by grace, then we can sin all we want and still be saved. It is wrong because even though as Christians we are not under the Law (Rom. 6:14), we still fulfill the Law in the Law of love (Rom. 13:8,10; Gal. 5:14; 6:2). We are to love God with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind, and our neighbor as ourselves (Luke 10:27) and, thereby, avoid the offense of sin which cost God His only begotten Son. Paul speaks against the concept of antinomianism in Rom. 6:1-2: "Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?". We are not to use the grace of God as a means of sin. Instead, we are to be controlled by the love of God and in that way bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:22-25).4

[b]Baptismal Regeneration[/b]

The belief that baptism is essential to salvation, that it is the means where forgiveness of sins is made real to the believer. This is incorrect. Paul said that he came to preach the gospel, not to baptize (1 Cor. 1:14-17). If baptism were essential to salvation, then Paul would have included it in his standard practice and preaching of the salvation message of Jesus, but he did not.5 (See also Col. 2:10-11.)5

For more information:
http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0573.htm
http://vintage.aomin.org/bapreg.html
http://vintage.aomin.org/NotByWorks.html
http://www.tmch.net/baptregenerate.htm

[b]Sabbatarianism[/b]

Col. 2:16-17, "Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day—things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ."

Notice here that time sequence mentioned. A festival is yearly. A new moon is monthly. A Sabbath is weekly. No one is to judge in regard to this. The Sabbath is defined as a shadow, the reality is Jesus. Jesus is our Sabbath.6

For more information regarding the Sabbath:
http://www.gty.org/Resources/Transcripts/90-224
http://www.gty.org/Resources/Transcripts/90-222
http://www.gty.org/Resources/issues/598

[b]Universalism[/b]

The teaching that all people will eventually be saved through the universal redemption of Jesus. Some Universalists teach that even the devil, after a time of punishment, will be redeemed.7

For more information:
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/
http://www.carm.org/universalism.htm

[b]Annihilationism[/b]

The teaching that when a person dies, he is annihilated, most often this doctrine is applied to the wicked, thereby negating eternal hell fire. This is contradicted by the Bible in Matt. 25:46 which says "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." Also, degrees of punishment will be given on the Day of Judgment (Rev. 20:11-15). If all, or only the wicked are annihilated, then degrees of punishment would be pointless.7

For more information:
http://www.carm.org/doctrine/hell.htm
http://www.carm.org/uni/eternal_hell.htm

[b]Prosperity Gospel / Name-it-and-Claim-it Theology[/b]

Word-Faith teachers owe their ancestry to groups like Christian Science, Swedenborgianism, Theosophy, Science of Mind, and New Thought--not to classical Pentecostalism. It reveals that at their very core, Word-Faith teachings are corrupt. Their undeniable derivation is cultish, not Christian. The sad truth is that the gospel proclaimed by the Word-Faith movement is not the gospel of the New Testament. Word-Faith doctrine is a mongrel system, a blend of mysticism, dualism, and gnosticism that borrows generously from the teachings of the metaphysical cults. The Word-Faith movement may be the most dangerous false system that has grown out of the charismatic movement so far, because so many charismatics are unsure of the finality of Scripture

–John MacArthur, Charismatic Chaos, p. 290

For more information:
http://www.apologeticsindex.org/w00.html#wordf

[b]Theistic Evolution[/b]

Teaches that God used evolution ("macro" -molecules to man) in creation. This is in direct opposition to Genesis 1 which teaches that God created the various types of living creatures separately and without any evolutionary process. Living creatures bring forth after their own "kind." Furthermore, the Scriptures teach us that man brought death into the world through sin. There was no death before sin, which of course must take place in the Theistic Evolution position.

For more information:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/couldnt-god-have-used-evolution

[b]Open-Theism[/b]

Open theism, also called openness and the open view, is a theological position dealing with human free will and its relationship to God and the nature of the future. It is the teaching that God has granted to humanity free will and that in order for the free will to be truly free, the future free will choices of individuals cannot be known ahead of time by God. They hold that if God knows what we are going to choose, then how can we be truly free when it is time to make those choices since a counter choice cannot then be made by us because it is already "known" what we are going to do.1 In other words, we would not actually be able to make a contrary choice to what God "knows" we will choose thus implying that we would not then be free.

In open theism, the future is either knowable or not knowable. For the open theists who hold that the future is knowable by God, they maintain that God voluntarily limits His knowledge of free will choices so that they can remain truly free.2 Other open theists maintain that the future, being non existent, is not knowable, even by God.

Historic Orthodox Christianity states that God knows all things, even the entirety of the future, exhaustively. 1 John 3:20 it says, "...for God is greater than our heart, and knows all things." Likewise, Peter said to Jesus in John 21:17, "...You know all things; You know that I love You..." God's sovereignty is clearly taught in scripture and His sovereignty is tied to His omniscience. Orthodox Christianity teaches that God is very loving, very involved, and even condescends to our level and interacts with us in a manner that we can understand. This means that we will see what appears to be instances of God changing His mind, testing, and adapting. But, this is all due to God's working with creatures who have limited vision, short life spans, and are sinners. God must work on our level since we cannot work on His.9

Furthermore,

Open Theism is a theological construct which claims that God's highest goal is to enter into a reciprocal relationship with man. In this scheme, the Bible is interpreted without any anthropomorphisms - that is, all references to God's feelings, surprise and lack of knowledge are literal and the result of His choice to create a world where He can be affected/changed by man's choices. God's exhaustive knowledge does not include knowledge of future free will choices by mankind because they have not yet occurred.

One of the leading spokesman of open theism, Clark Pinnock, in describing how libertarian freedom trumps God's omniscience says, "Decisions not yet made do not exist anywhere to be known even by God. They are potential--yet to be realized but not yet actual. God can predict a great deal of what we will choose to do, but not all of it, because some of it remains hidden in the mystery of human freedom ... The God of the Bible displays an openness to the future (i.e. ignorance of the future) that the traditional view of omniscience simply cannot accommodate." (Pinnock, "Augustine to Arminius, " 25-26) Evangelicals cannot remain neutral in response to this unbiblical view.

The overriding presuppositions which open theists bring to the text are (1) libertarian freewill theism ["causeless choice"] (But can a natural man believe the gospel independent of the Holy Spirit? -- If not, I challenge Open Theists to tell me why not?) ... and (2) the Socinian belief that God does not have exhaustive foreknowledge of the future (i.e. that God is subject to part of his creation -"time"). Open Theists will also frequently point to biblical passages in which it is said that God changed his mind about something to prove his ignorance of future events. But usually it is the case that God is said to change His mind in sending judgment on people only after they repent of their sin. In Jeremiah 18:7-10 God simply shows that this type of relenting is a component of how He generally has decided to act:

"If at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, and if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I intended to do to it. And if at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, and if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will relent of the good that I had intended to do to it."

In other words, many prophesies of blessings and cursing are conditional. God has the authority to reverse his judgment at any time. depending on the response of those prophesied against. Such warnings have tacit conditions such as when Jonah declared that Ninevah would be destroyed, but judgment does not take place because they repented. Jonah knew that God would have mercy on them and this is one of the reasons he runs away from the task at first. The prophet is supposed to hold out God's covenant terms, blessing for obedience and cursing for disobedience.

Dr. Richard L. Pratt, Jr. from Historical Contingencies and Biblical Predictions

For more information:
http://www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Bad-Theology/Open-Theism
http://www.carm.org/open.htm
Listen to James White debate John Sanders: www.aomin.org/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=237

Works Cited
3 Matt Slick www.carm.org/heresy/pelagianism.htm
4 Matt Slick www.carm.org/dictionary/dic_a-b.htm#_1_7
5 Matt Slick www.carm.org/dictionary/dic_a-b.htm#_1_1#_1_19
6 Matt Slick www.carm.org/questions/sabbath.htm
7 Matt Slick www.carm.org/dictionary/dic_u-z.htm#Universalism
8 Matt Slick www.carm.org/dictionary/dic_a-b.htm#Annihilationism

2009/7/7 9:41Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Some False Belief Systems within Christianity

Quote:
The teaching of a monk named Pelagius in the fifth Century. He taught that man's will was—and still is—free to choose good or evil and there is no inherited sin (through Adam). Every infant born into the world is in the same condition as Adam before the fall and becomes a sinner because he sins.

Oh, my, I couldn't get past this - maybe I will after posting this. But this statement reeks of gross ignorance, similar to a fish pond that is experiencing a die-off! and the guy must not have a sense of smell!

A child born is of the same condition that Adam was when he was made?????PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!! He must have never cared for an infant...can't believe any one would make and believe anything so ill conceived. Methinks that anyone who would believe something so stupid is not to be trusted. hmmm. I wonder - are these the folks that run the US Department of Social Services and tell folks how to raise their children? The longer I think about it the more sense it makes...which leads to more questions.

ginnyrose

2009/7/7 10:11Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Thank you, Greg, for this post. Amen.

2009/7/7 11:10Profile

Re:

Quote:
A child born is of the same condition that Adam was when he was made?????PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!! He must have never cared for an infant...can't believe any one would make and believe anything so ill conceived. Methinks that anyone who would believe something so stupid is not to be trusted. hmmm. I wonder - are these the folks that run the US Department of Social Services and tell folks how to raise their children? The longer I think about it the more sense it makes...which leads to more questions.

Yep.... I didnt have to teach my kids to sin. They came with batteries included.

Krispy

2009/7/7 11:24
yoadam

OREGON

Re:

This is an excellent thread!

2009/7/11 1:44Profile
Logic

Quote:
sermonindex wrote:

[b]Pelagianism[/b]

The teaching of a monk named Pelagius in the fifth Century. He taught that man's will was—and still is—free to choose good or evil and there is no inherited sin (through Adam).

If one can not freely choose good, then they are innocent.
Tell me, how is one culpable for somthing that they can not do?

The evidence of reality proves that man is in himself and by nature capable of choosing good.

The unsaved man can be faithful to his wife. The unregenerate man can choose not beat his kids.
The unsaved man can defend his country from enemies foreign and domestic.
The unsaved man can even die for someone he never knew (John 15:13).
It has to be admitted that the unsaved
can do good.

Quote:
Every infant born into the world is in the same condition as Adam before the fall and becomes a sinner because he sins.

This would be the exegetical, logical conclusion.

Quote:
This is opposed to the Biblical teaching that we are by nature children of wrath (Eph. 2:3)

Mankind are "naturaly" children of wrath because they chose to have their behavior in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; [b]NOT[/b] because it is their nature.

Quote:
and that we sin because we are sinners.

you got it backwards.
I am a christian, I am no longer a sinner, for all sinners have their part in the lake of fire.

I do not sin becase I am a sinner, but because I choose to sin. However, I do not love sin, I do not employ myself in sin, I do not habitually sin, nor do I practice it.

One is a sinner because they love sin, because they willfully employ themselves in sin, they choose to sin habitually & volitionally practice it.

Quote:
Pelagius said we are able to keep the commandments of God because God has given us the ability.

Command implies ability.
It would be evidently cruel to command that which you know is imposible; much less condemn for not fullfilling the imposible command.
Why would you think God does?

Quote:
Therefore, there is no need of redemption

This is haresy, I doubt Pelagius said this.
I would believe that this is a misquote of Pelagius from Augustine.

Quote:
and the crucifixion of Jesus is merely a supreme example of love, humility, obedience, and sacrifice.

"Merely", no, but the crucifixion of Jesus is no doulbt a supreme example of love, humility, obedience, and sacrifice!

Quote:
This heresy has its relatives in the form of the cults that deny the total dependence upon God and maintain that salvation is obtainable through our own efforts.

I'm sure you misunderstand it.

Man can obey God and never sin (which is God’s will from the beginning until now). If i was imposible to never sin, God couldn't condemn for it.

However, being sinless, one must claim Jesus as Lord, and that only by faith.

One can remain innocent after the age of accountability (which is God’s will from the beginning until now) only by claiming Jesus as lord, and that only by faith.

No one can be justified by the law if they have already sinned.
However, one may be justified by continually, uninteruptedly obeying God from the age of accountability (keeping the spirit of the law), never disobeying, for this is How Jesus did it.

God certainly wants man never to sin, this is a fact! Therefore, there must be an ability to do such.
It is only by faith in Jesus as Lord. HE will show them how to walk in the spirit so that they will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
To walk in the spirit is the same as fulfilling the spirit of the law, which is love, for love fulfills the law.

Jesus proved that it is podible to never sin by keeping the law.
If this was imposible for us, then God could not condemn us for not keeping the law.
The proof that Jesus obeyed the law as a man shows us that it is posible for us, thus justifying God for condemning us for braking the law.

2009/7/13 21:45Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
KrispyKrittr wrote:

Yep.... I didnt have to teach my kids to sin. They came with batteries included.

Krispy

Jesus never had to be taught how to sin. He aways knew how to sin (He only chose not to).
what's your point?

The fact of knowing how to sin does not prove anything.

2009/7/13 21:50Profile
yoadam

OREGON

Dear Logic,

Read [url=http://reformed.org/documents/index.html?mainframe=http://reformed.org/documents/canons_of_orange.html]The Canons of the Council of Orange (529 AD).[/url] Here did over 300 men of God gather together for months to judge the doctrine of Pelagius which you love so dearly. The Church in large, Catholic & Protestant, has upheld the judgments of this council as just for nearly 1,500 years. Pelagius was a heretic and judged anathema by the council.

Galations 1:8-9,
"8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."

Logic, I say these things to you with great burden and heaviness in my heart-- please do not be deceived by Pelagius' false doctrine! Let go of your damned original sinlessness, [i]Repent and believe the gospel.[/i]

Consider once again what the original poster has said,

Quote:
"Pelagianism

The teaching of a monk named Pelagius in the fifth Century. He taught that man's will was—and still is—free to choose good or evil and there is no inherited sin (through Adam). Every infant born into the world is in the same condition as Adam before the fall and becomes a sinner because he sins. This is opposed to the Biblical teaching that we are by nature children of wrath (Eph. 2:3) and that we sin because we are sinners. Pelagius said we are able to keep the commandments of God because God has given us the ability. Therefore, there is no need of redemption and the crucifixion of Jesus is merely a supreme example of love, humility, obedience, and sacrifice. This heresy has its relatives in the form of the cults that deny the total dependence upon God and maintain that salvation is obtainable through our own efforts."

Listen to these messages by Paul Washer,
1. 01 True Gospel Pt 1 Man Apart from God
http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/download.php?file=01-True-Gospel-Pt-1-Man-Apart-from-God.mp3

2. 02 True Gospel Pt 2 What is the Gospel
http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/download.php?file=02-True-Gospel-Pt-2-What-is-the-Gospel_.mp3

3. 03 True Gospel Pt 3 Conversion
http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/download.php?file=03-True-Gospel-Pt-3-Conversion.mp3

4. 04 True Gospel Pt 4 Repent and Believe
http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/download.php?file=04-True-Gospel-Pt-4-Repent-and-Believe.mp3

5. 05 True Gospel Pt 5 The Narrow Way
http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/download.php?file=05-True-Gospel-Pt-5-The-Narrow-Way.mp3

6. 06 True Gospel Pt 6 Acceptance Beloved
http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/download.php?file=06-True-Gospel-Pt-6-Acceptance-Beloved.mp3

Praying.

Adam.

2009/7/14 7:33Profile

Re: Some False Belief Systems within Christianity...FINNEY.

PELAGIANISM: Below is an exert from Phillip R. Johnsons study of Finney. I immediately considered him when I read the definition.

Finney believed in the doctrine of inherited sin, and believed that it was possible to live in environmental purity; IE; If a baby lived right, and was taught right, he or she could possibly NEVER sin!

quoting Johnson.

"But Finney was too much of a novice to distinguish between biblical, orthodox Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism. He lumped them together and ended up rejecting much sound doctrine along with what he thought was "hyper-Calvinism." Far from being a "moderate," Finney answered hyper-Calvinism by shifting to the opposite extreme—Pelagianism.
Notice that under the guise of condemning "hyper-Calvinism," Finney expressly attacked the idea that people are fallen and depraved because of a sinful nature inherited from Adam. That is the doctrine of original sin, not a hyper-Calvinist dogma, but a standard tenet of Christian doctrine—and recognized as such by all mainstream Christians since the Pelagian heresy of the Fifth Century. Note, too, that Finney rejected the idea that sinners are totally unable to please God (contra Rom. 8:7-8). Again, total inability is no hyper-Calvinist notion, but a biblical truth defended by Augustine and the Protestant Reformers alike."

PHILLIP R. JOHNSON

What a mess we get into when our supposed leaders either don't know the Bible, or don't WANT to know it. I think that "there is nothing new under the Sun", meaning, that Satan has a thought process too. These heresies are not new that we face today, but have a common thread with many ancient belief systems that all hate God and his Beloved.

Thoughtful and useful post. Thanks.

2009/7/14 8:00
andres

texas,brownsville

Re:

thanks Greg,
great information to use for ministers to protect their flocks,
thanks
andy

2009/7/14 11:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.