SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Today's New International Version: gender neutral

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
tozerite

Plano, TX

Re:

I have an Amplified Bibel, but I purchased it long before Zondervan became a subsidiary of Murdoch's NewsCorp.

2009/7/5 9:04Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Thank you for that input. I wonder if there were changes made after the switch? The three I have were all published around the 1980's but the publisher was Zondervan.

Still, I get a thrill every time I read Hebrews 13:5 & Hebrews 13:6.

Regards, white stone

2009/7/5 14:44Profile
tozerite

Plano, TX

Re:

White Stone

No, if you bought it in 1980, there are no issues. I think Murdoch only got his hands on Zondervan in the late nineties. Also, as far as I now, once translated, the Amplified remained as is, unrevised, but the copyright now resides with Murdoch. The proceeds from the sale of any new editions or reprintings will go the NewsCorp - too bad.

2009/7/5 17:22Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

:-P :-) :-P :-D

2009/7/5 17:23Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

I worked in the Zondervan's warehouse for a few weeks, doing back-breaking labor for $6 an hour, at a time when the standard starting wage for warehouse work was $12. Wednesday mornings we would have a chapel service in which local clergymen would take turns telling us that what we were doing was more than a job--it was a ministry, and we would receive an eternal reward in heaven. In truth, it was the most shameless manifestation of the American Gospel Enterprise I have ever seen: a corporate asset, whose only purpose for existing was to turn a profit for its shareholders, pays the professional clergy to tell us that what we were doing was "ministry" and we were earning an eternal reward in heaven. Translation: "You should be happy doing hard labor for chump wages because you will have your reward in heaven. Zondervans pays you half the standard wage and God will pay you the rest later." It was a metaphysical grift on the same level as Popery or Televangelism: "Benefit us in this world and God will benefit you in the next!"

Rupert has been called "The King of Sleaze" because his formula has been purchasing struggling media outlets and making them profitable by making them smutty. Shortly after he purchased Zondervan, they started work on a new edition of the NIV. The running joke in the Zondervan warehouse was that Rupert flipped through the NIV and said, "Not sexy enough, spice it up!" The new edition was cancelled because scholarly review was overwhelmingly negative. I wonder if "Today's NIV" is that same edition, safe for publication now that "The Message" has so lowered standards for new translations that you could hardly do any worse.

2009/7/5 19:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy