SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Conviction of Sin ...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
moreofHim

Re: convicted

Derek,

Quote:
to be honest i'm convicted of the reality and presence of God amongst the body.

I am glad you brought this up. It brings back memories of last March when I went to see Shane Barnard in concert- it was the last time I really felt the overwhelming presence of the Lord. I just remember thinking that this would be a good time to pray for repentance for everyone there but the HoLy Spirit took that thought far from my mind because His overwhelming power and greatness was there. All I could do was try to remain standing and think "oh, how unworthy I am- and how worthy You are, Lord" There were no other thoughts or feelings to have. Just the love He had for us all there and how we all fell or almost fell to our knees in honor to Him.

You cannot go away from that and not want to keep sin in your life. There was no direct conviction, but the love we felt and how powerfully He ministered to us- you just wanted to give everything you owned and had (lives, will, rights, everything) to Him. That is surrendering out of love- not duty. It has to do with intimacy.

I don't want to surrender anything just because I am scared of the consequences. He deserves more than that. Like we have said before, He deserves it all because He is so worthy.

If you have never experienced His presence like that, then all you would know is the kind of conviction that comes from men's words- which is inferior, or has a different place?, to that of the Lord's own Holy presence.

It seems there is a conviction that comes from man's words and a conviction of sorts that comes from very direct intimacy with the Lord.

Hmmmm. More thoughts to ponder about conviction and it's place.

2004/9/3 21:50Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
If you have never experienced His presence like that, then all you would know is the kind of conviction that comes from men's words- which is inferior, i believe, to that of the Lord's own Holy presence.

Hmm I do think the conviction of the Holy Ghost is something that is uncomfortable and really can't be compared with men's words. Conviction is from the Holy Ghost but might find its agent in men's mouths. Also conviction is just not a feeling I would say but a feeling with a truth supressed behind it.

This is definetly worth reading the scriptures more on and hearing other peoples experiences and thoughts.

This quote by Keith Daniel really has me thinking of how Chrisitan lifes can beget conviction amongst the people we are in contact with:

[sinners should say of us:] "I can't enjoy my sin anymore because of your life." ~ Keith Daniel

2004/9/3 21:57Profile
moreofHim

Re:

LOL. As you can see, I went back and changed that to:

Quote:
which is inferior, or has a different place?, to that of the Lord's own Holy presence.

Still pondering this whole thing. But really, when you feel that overwhelming worthiness of Him and how unworthy you are- you really can't stay comfortable in sin for a second. It is different than the conviction that comes from a sermon or a book. Ya gotta be there. :-(

2004/9/3 22:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
It is different than the conviction that comes from a sermon or a book. Ya gotta be there.

I totally agree but that is a totally different kind of conviction, being in the presence of God or a situation where you can feel? or at the least grasp the concept of the awesomeness of God in your heart. All I was trying to say is that there is are many more ways that God brings conviction to people. The word of God has slayed me many times and I firmly believe it really is the main tool God uses to convict people.

[b]Hebrews 4:12[/b] - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

2004/9/3 23:35Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
Hmm I do think the conviction of the Holy Ghost is something that is uncomfortable and really can't be compared with men's words. Conviction is from the Holy Ghost but might find its agent in men's mouths. Also conviction is just not a feeling I would say but a feeling with a truth supressed behind it.

[i][b]but a feeling with a truth supressed behind it.[/b][/i]

What words my brother!
As regards the use of mens 'words' whether in print or through their vocal cords, could only say; ' You know it when you 'hear it'.
The Word of God [i]preached[/i]!
I know what was meant, that often times we\they can attempt to force the issue and it just falls flat and to confound that, still wonder if that doesn't have more to say about us than them. We can be deceived by too easily dismissing things that pass by us with a shrug; [i]'glad I don't have THAT problem'[/i] Are you sure?

I must say though this is all just outstanding my brethren, all of you. I needed to hear this, even if "I know that...." (see what I mean? :-? )

I believe Greg said earlier something that followed on Chanins thoughts about how sad it was that we needed to be brought to a place where we practically have to plead for conviction to come in some ways, primarily in our churches. Which I guess should indict not only 'them' but perhaps even more so US, being that WE are the church no matter where we gather.

Probably being redundant here, but the problem sure does seem that we have gone the way of the Israelites, deciding to following our own version of just who God IS. All the chastising in the 'Old Testament' why? Because God was bent on being a hard taskmaster? Or was it because they where His chosen people, whom He loved? Doesn't seemed to have changed now for us...what's that verse in Hebrews...?

Oh how this is needed, how I needed this. The past week has seen this resident evil within, my flesh rising up with it's 'demands'. It has been full blown war and sadly it took me down a number of times, yet I am not done fighting. Don't want to draw to much of a distinction, like some kind of dualism, am reminded of the words of our own Mr. Bailey; "There is just '[i]you[/i]..." And yet it has sent me scrutinizing Romans primarily chapters 5-8, know the answer lies in there if only in part.

Continuing on with the thoughts Chanin expressed earlier, found it helpful to do just exactly that, namely welcoming some conviction to come to help offset these lies that I was trying to rationalize (even though I recognized them as such, that 'fleshly' part could care less, "I want what I want!") So I went back through the stack of CD's and pulled out [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3843] A Call to Anguish[/url] [i]by David Wilkerson[/i].
Think there is too many points to give examples of in this message, but suffice it to say, it did bring conviction, at many points it made me want to just break down and cry outwardly yet I was working and trying to focus on the job at hand...What's that word? O yeah,....
Unction!

Perhaps now would be a good time to revisit it again.

Would be worth stating that all this is leading [i]unto[/i] something, to restoration, to 'times of refreshing, to [i]joy[/i]!

All those "what if's" that Chanin posted by Nancy Demoss, what if that was us?
Why not?
I take it as an encouragement to press on, to strive after, to [b]be[/b]-come that. But first the woodshed...

2004/9/4 8:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy