SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : "Honor Your Parents" ~ Extreme Devotion

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

"Honor Your Parents" ~ Extreme Devotion

The pastor had been questioned and beaten often, but today the guard took him to a room to talk. He said, “I’m curious about your beliefs and ask you to tell me the Ten Commandments.”

Shocked, the pastor began to share the Commandments. When he got to “Honor your father and mother,” the officer interrupted him. “Stop there. You Christians believe that God chose ‘Honor your father and mother’ as a very important commandment. Please look in the corner.” The pastor turned to see an elderly woman chained and bruised beneath a pile of rags. She was the pastor’s own mother.

The guard inquired. “Look how much your mother has suffered. If you tell the secrets of the underground church, you and your mother can go free. If she dies from our torture, you will have failed to keep the commandment to honor her, and her blood shall be on your head.”

The pastor turned to his mother who was starting to regain consciousness. “Dear Mother, what should I do?”

Lovingly she replied, “Since you were a small boy, I have taught you to love Christ and his church. Do not betray God. I am ready to die for the holy name.”

The pastor looked back at the guard and said with renewed courage, “You were very right, Captain. First of all, a man must obey his mother.”

[i]“Why is there so much suffering in the world?” skeptics often ask when they wish to discount Christianity. They cannot reconcile a loving God who permits innocent suffering. In fact, they may try to persuade Christians who undergo suffering that their trials somehow prove God’s plans have gone awry. Is suffering truly part of God’s plan? In answer to that question, look at Jesus’ life on earth. His suffering on the cross was the heartbeat of God’s plan—resulting in our salvation and his glory. When you suffer according to God’s plan, you are walking where Jesus walked: to the cross, to the grave, and—ultimately—to the skies. Will you trust that God knows what he is doing even in your pain?[/i]

2009/6/28 22:52
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: "Honor Your Parents" ~ Extreme Devotion

Excellent story, Joy. Think I will copy/paste it to my files and use it in our church bulletin sometime.

Mind if I ask where you found it?

Thanks so much for posting this.

ginnyrose

2009/6/28 23:25Profile

Re:

Hi Ginnyrose,

It is from Extreme Devotion, a book written by the Voice of the Martyrs. I receive an email each day from them that contains one of these devotions. I'll forward today's email to you so you can subscribe if you want to.

:)

2009/6/28 23:42
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Thank-you!

ginnyrose

2009/6/29 0:02Profile
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

Wonderful post Joy,

May God help us to live in such a way that our families will so honor us!

Clint

2009/6/29 7:44Profile
donpjt

Re:

Amazing story. and very inspiring, thanks!!

2009/6/29 14:14Profile
jsisrl

Re: "Honor Your Parents" ~ Extreme Devotion

:RED FLAG:

A touching story but it's one sides - where was this man's "Father". It's a story that turned 'to mother' and asks what to do rather than turning to The Heavenly Father and obeying. This world is trying to elevate 'mother' without father, though this story is touching, it's slanted on leaving the 'father' out of the story all together.

Ex 20:12

12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
KJV

Matt 19:17-21

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
KJV

Eph 6:2

2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
KJV

2009/6/29 20:32Profile
jsisrl

Re:

Matt 17:10-12

10 And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come?

11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.

12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. ------>Likewise shall also

2009/6/29 20:34Profile

Re:

Quote:

jsisrl wrote:
:RED FLAG:

A touching story but it's one sides - where was this man's "Father". It's a story that turned 'to mother' and asks what to do rather than turning to The Heavenly Father and obeying. This world is trying to elevate 'mother' without father, though this story is touching, it's slanted on leaving the 'father' out of the story all together.

This 'story' or more accurately, account, came from Voice of the Martyrs which is a ministry to the persecuted church. This is a true account of a persecuted pastor whose mother was present at this time of persecution. It isn't a mere story trying to get a point across, it is a real account of a pastor who was challenged with the commandment to honor his mother, which he did. It was obedience to God when he turned to his mother and asked her what he should do. In all of the cases of a parent/child relationship being tested by persecution that I have heard of (that come to mind right now) the parents have been willing to even see their children die and suffer torture rather than deny the Lord or encourage their children to deny the Lord.

I think this was such a case. This son was being faithful to his heavenly Father by his obedience to the command to honor his mother. Now, if that mother had told him to forsake Christ, that would have been another story. But in this case, both the mother and son were faithful to Jesus Christ.

May each of also be found faithful to Him.

2009/6/29 22:31
jsisrl

Re:

Roniya, this whole world is fixed on 'mother' while leaving out 'the father'. It's all spells, "Social Psychology and Philosophy".

Col 2:1-9
2:1 For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;

2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;

3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

4 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.

5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.

6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

8--> Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
KJV

2009/6/30 15:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy