SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : should christians watch t.v

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

The question probably should have been phrased, "Why would a Christian watch TV?"

Old Joe

2009/6/24 20:26
bible1985

Re:

i agree repent canada

2009/6/24 22:05Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

We watch some sporting events, minus commercials. We enjoy football and baseball. I also watch some of the cooking shows to learn some of the tips and recipes, again minus commercials.
I think that anything can be an idol and take over ones time. I know several Christians who think tv is particularly evil but spend ten plus hours a day on the internet, and think that is just fine. I know others who spend huge amounts of time texting and blogging and think nothing of it. For me the question is not so much a should or should not question as it is, how does what I am doing cause me to walk closer to the Lord or further His kingdom. Personally we have had some really wonderful times of fellowshiping and enjoying time together while watching a game or leaning a new recipe. What ever I am doing though I want to have the heart that "if" the Lord told me to give it up, I can and will do so in an instant!

rdg

2009/6/24 22:06Profile
robbyk

Madison, WI

Re:

I have generally been away from TV since the mid to late 80s. I've never paid for it but have a house on the hill that got the networks, 3ABN and 3 channels of TBN with an antennae and a piece of foil before the changeover. But when I watch on my son's pc, I also am amazed how "non-funny" the old shows I used to watch actually are and how I am quite offended by the bulk of the shows I grew up with in the 70s.

Still, I really did like PBS over the air for Lawrence Welk and some of the British dramas or really old Bogart movies...now there's hulu for much of that stuff. As a chef, I really did like the cooking shows but now there's "foodwishes" on youtube...

2009/6/25 0:21Profile

Re:

http://www.biblebelievers.com/The_Stranger.html

We have only been 6 years without one, but before that we went 3 years without it on the Lord's Day. We found that to be the best day of the week and put the TV to the curb.

Old Joe

2009/6/25 9:20

Re:

Oh come on, who are you trying to kid??

We get rid of the T.V., but there is a new type of TV called the Internet. You can practically watch anything on this thing, in fact you can subscribe to any network and watch as if your watching television.

We've just swapped technology for another.

Someone said in response to the threads question, "It all depends on your walk with the Lord".

What's that got to do with anything? We are all using the internet and it's a form of television if not worse because you can readily get the sex sites easily. All the rot and filth is mixed in with the good and holy. Television is nothing compared to this monster. But we use it because it is convenient, and we can proudly say to other believers that we don't watch TV, when in fact we do on the internet, but we file that under the "hush hush" file.

If your conscience is bothering you about watching Television turn it off, but don't throw it out, you'll only end up buying another one down the road. Keep it until the desire for it wanes. As you mature in Christ, these things tend to fall away.

David said, "I've set no evil thing before mine eyes". Well, Davey didn't have a Television to contend with, his girly channel was on the roof top overlooking the community swimming pool.

We have to remember that these men were just as normal as we are, living out their lives like we do. Then the Holy Spirit would at by times come upon these men to do a certain task and then they are back to normal living.

I think David longed for the many things that he spoke of but was unable to obtain it. He believed them but couldn't obtain them. For example, David did set things before his eyes that were evil, and he did speak about hiding that word in his heart that he might not sin against God, but he did sin against God. I believe firmly that David spoke as he was moved by the holy Spirit to write these things down for the One who would come after him to perform all the words that have been spoken through the mouths of the prophets -Jesus the Christ.

2009/6/25 10:54
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Thank you for the thought provoking post. It was a most interesting 'look' at King David.

Kind regards,
white stone

2009/6/25 11:54Profile

excellent post DeepThinker

loved it, loved it's truth and I want to ask permission to borrow these bit, if I'm ever called upon to exhort the saints:

Quote:
David said, "I've set no evil thing before mine eyes". Well, Davey didn't have a Television to contend with, his girly channel was on the roof top overlooking the community swimming pool.

I will preface it by saying a "brother in the Lord said this". ok?

I love David, truly. I love him because he was real with God. After God spoke to Nathan about David's horrendous sin and Nathan confronted David, David didnt even hesitate, he immediately confessed and took the punishment. I also loved his heartstance towards the Lord, "a man after God's own Heart".

I always pray that is how the Lord looks at me, even my secret place, as a man, real and authentic, after His Own Heart.

and Psalm 51 ?!? That, to me, is the "mountaintop" of the whole Psalter! Talk about brokeness, brokenhearteness, repentance, grief over sin, confession.....I could go on and on about King David as well as my other favorite ancient Israeli king Hezekiah...on the first day of his reign, Hezekiah demanded the Temple be cleaned OUT and made fit for Service, and this was a man living in a whole brood of apostates....I'll stop, nice post, my brother, God bless you in Jesus' love, neil

2009/6/25 13:05
bible1985

Re: excellent post DeepThinker

You know the Lord has been working on me to not be spending my time so much on the internet as of late because i do waste a lot of time debating with people who don't want to listen on other sites. I can't stand t.v myself unless it is the way of the master or an occasional good movie on tbn, but i really don't like t.v at all, i don't think god likes it at all either. THe same could be said with the internet but i think the internet has many flaws but also some great pluses as far as information.

2009/6/25 14:39Profile

Re:

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:
Oh come on, who are you trying to kid??

We get rid of the T.V., but there is a new type of TV called the Internet. You can practically watch anything on this thing, in fact you can subscribe to any network and watch as if your watching television.

We don't do that.

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:
We've just swapped technology for another.

Someone said in response to the threads question, "It all depends on your walk with the Lord".

What's that got to do with anything?

Everything.

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:

We are all using the internet and it's a form of television if not worse because you can readily get the sex sites easily.

I hope you are not writing from experience.

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:

All the rot and filth is mixed in with the good and holy. Television is nothing compared to this monster.

Funny, I don't run across the rot and filth on this thing that was strewn in front of me on the TV. No matter what show you have chosen to watch, the commercials are rot.

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:
But we use it because it is convenient, and we can proudly say to other believers that we don't watch TV, when in fact we do on the internet, but we file that under the "hush hush" file.

Actually we use it to get the gospel out.

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:

If your conscience is bothering you about watching Television turn it off, but don't throw it out, you'll only end up buying another one down the road. Keep it until the desire for it wanes. As you mature in Christ, these things tend to fall away.

That is totally inconsistent, on the one hand defaulting into not being able do without a television, and on the other hand thinking as you mature in Christ you won't want it. Which one is it?

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:

Just like he shouldn't have been on the roof but should have joined the battle, so you shouldn't be watching TV instead of waging the warfare.

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:

We have to remember that these men were just as normal as we are, living out their lives like we do. Then the Holy Spirit would at by times come upon these men to do a certain task and then they are back to normal living.

You need to remember that we all have a propensity to sin, and to make it easier or justify our actions by those of another is nothing but antinomian.

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:

I think David longed for the many things that he spoke of but was unable to obtain it. He believed them but couldn't obtain them. For example, David did set things before his eyes that were evil, and he did speak about hiding that word in his heart that he might not sin against God, but he did sin against God.

And his sin you choose as your model?

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:

I believe firmly that David spoke as he was moved by the holy Spirit to write these things down for the One who would come after him to perform all the words that have been spoken through the mouths of the prophets -Jesus the Christ.

Good thing David took time out from his busy life of sin to write these things down for us. It sure was a blessing! Perhaps we could do similar things if only we weren't all stuck wasting our time in front of the TV.

2009/6/25 16:49

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy