SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Should christians tithe?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

passerby: You are right in that we should not by cynical toward those who do tithe. But those who do it out of obligation or adherence to law rather than out of a joyful heart of giving are profited nothing by their tithing. That is why it is important to draw the distinction. In God's economy, giving is the way to receive. (Not in a selfish or covetous way, but simply to have our needs met and provision for ministry available) So one who teaches tithing in the sense that we must because God demands or requires it and that we are robbing God if we don't is one who is doing the thing that the Judaisers were doing to the Galatian church, and that is putting people back under bondage to law. Now if someone who calls it tithing and says that we should give or tithe because we love God and are blessed of Him then I think there is no problem at all with the term "tithe". You are right. Always the truth in love!

Travis

2010/4/15 7:12Profile
passerby

Re:

Yes, with kind persuasion we will patiently look forward for the liberation of our brethren from the bondage of legalism.

But we may openly oppose those who without shame nor regret are perverting the concept of tithing for their own greed.

2010/4/15 8:43Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Here is a word if you can hear it: Jesus is my tithe.

2010/4/15 8:45Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Could you explain this a bit more I believe I have kind of heard this before but what does it mean that Jesus is your tithe specifically?

I am just curious because I feel the same way but would like to know your take :)

2010/4/15 11:43Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Happily. Jesus is my tithe in the same way Paul said Christ is our Passover. What God required the Jews to offer in the Law, God offered for us. Jesus became our tithe, or specifically our "first-fruits" by being raised from the dead. He is "God's divine portion." He is God's first, and God's best.

2010/4/15 12:17Profile
osandoval

Re:

Great discussion everyone. I can testify of how liberating it has been for me to come out from the bondage of tithing to church building projects. I still try to use the 10% number as a starting point(though not strictly). But now I look for ways to bless those who are truly in need with it. For example, I look for good reputable ministries to the poor or orphans, missionaries, and personally I give to the homeless in my community, which opens a door for me to preach the gospel to them. I've been blessed tremendously through this type of giving; not so much blessed financially as much as spiritually, though God does faithfully supply all my financial needs. James 1:27 comes to mind:
"Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world."

2010/4/15 12:27Profile
osandoval

Re:

KingJimmy I totally agree. Also, Jesus is the fulfillment of the tithe, in the same way that he is the fulfillment of the Sabbath. He is also our Sabbath rest, but I hope I don't open up another can of worms :).

2010/4/15 12:29Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

That is what I thought :) Something that I don't like is the fact that if I get my credentials as an Assembly of God minister it's required of me to give my tithe to the AoG General Council and if I don't tithe then I lose my credentialing. I have started tithing partly because its an obligation to an organization which I really don't like. I am in prayer about if really want my credentials if it means falling under the Law of man.

I have been working more towards giving to others rather than just tithe, my wife and I try and give 10% to the church and beyond 10% to organizations that help people. I like what a few have said about tithe if you are subject to tithing because its in the law then you are subject to the whole law which to me is something we must step out of.

2010/4/15 12:35Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Brother, I am not against the AoG in any way, but your "credentials" can only come from one place. God both calls and equips you, and He gives you your credentials. Ordination is not a dispensing of legal documents, but a public recognition by existing leadership that you have a legitimate call and that the Holy Spirit is bringing you into a place of wearing the mantle of that call.

I understand what you are saying though. Licensing is something that does help. I guess you just need to pray whether God would have you licensed by that organization.

2010/4/15 14:58Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

The Holy Spirit spoke to me once about it and said What exactly is a credential? and then it hit me A piece of paper saying I was approved by man to preach, This I know I don't need nor should I seek but God also hasn't given me a green flag to stop but has told me to wait and so this is what I am doing :)

2010/4/15 15:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy