SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Is God willing to grant a huge revival in these last days?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Yes, I heard in on of Brother Ravenhill's sermons that 1 billion souls would come to the kingdom.

My prayer is that of the old prophet Habakkuk (in Chapter 3) "1 A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet upon Shigionoth. 2 O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, [b]revive thy work in the midst of the years[/b], in the midst of the years make known; [i]in wrath remember mercy.[/i]"

In the midst of the judgement of God upon this world, I believe we're going to see a revival unknown to the world since the book of Acts. As my pastor often says "judgement unto repentance."

Let's go to our prayer closets and sincerely seek this first for ourselves, then for our nation and for the world. These are the midst of the years for us, so let's sincerely God with all our hearts.

2004/10/8 7:16Profile
Spitfire

Re: Is God willing to grant a huge revival in these last days?

I am, once again, late in responding to this topic. This website is huge and I find it difficult to stay read up on it all. Paul, as I read your questions and comments, I began to wonder what the real definition of revival is. I went to my Strong's concordance to search for the word revival in my Bible. It is never mentioned. So the question is: What is revival and why are so many looking for it to happen? I looked up the word "revive" in the dictionary. It means: to restore to life or consciousness. rescucitate. To impart new health, vigor, or spirit to. To restore to validity or effectiveness. I am a big proponant of a last days revival. The thing that makes me believe it is going to happen is mainly Isaiah 60:1-3, "Arise, shine; for thy light has come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee. For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen in thee. And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising." I can only speak for the church here in America, because I have never been outside this country, but I know God's glory hasn't been shining from the church as long as I've been alive. Just as you talk about a false church there in Netherlands, there is the exact same thing here in America. There has to be a revival. You talked about how what you read in the Bible tells you of dark, dark times ahead. How would the church, as we know it, be the place that people in need would come to unless God revives it? There hasn't been a great light shining forth in my lifetime. My God, I'm someone who has always had a desire for God and I can hardly stand to go to church! Most everyone I know feels this way, especially people who really love God. The church of the last days will be the only place people can come to for hope. It probably won't be in a particular building. When I speak of revival, I'm speaking of a wave of God's spirit that is going to separate. Up to now, the true believers have been all mixed in with the false. When God's spirit moves to "revive" the church, the true and the false will not be able to dwell together. The fire of God's spirit on a life intimidates those who do not want it. They are forced to move away from the heat or throw water on it. And they will try to throw water, but God has promised that we will overcome. The church needs three things prevailing in our life in order to overcome: the blood of the lamb, the word of our testimony, and the one last thing that God is restoring to his people:... and they love not their lives unto death. Surrender. Absolute abandonment. This is revival. It is already happening in you and me! That's why we are here at SI. :-D Love, Dian.

2004/10/8 8:06Profile
todd

California

Re:

Quote:
"Yes, I heard in on of Brother Ravenhill's sermons that 1 billion souls would come to the kingdom."

Which brother Ravenhill and which sermon? If you can remember that would be very helpful.

2004/10/8 10:24Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Hi Todd,

That would be Leonard Ravenhill and I can't remember which one but hopefully I can locate.

Ed

2004/10/8 14:09Profile
todd

California

Re:

Thanks Ed,
Please post if you are able to locate it.

2004/10/8 16:18Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Ahhh! Much to read! I will admit I read some posts fully, and others I only skimmed. First off, I want to thank you Paul for searching the Scriptures on this topic. [laughs] And I wouldn't have guessed that English is your second language. No grammatical errors that I saw.

I, like you, have many questions about this talk/need/prayer for revival. I'm not on one side or the other, and maybe I won't ever be. I am currently reading through "The Revival We Need" by Oswald J. Smith. I'm only in the 5th chapter. So far... I love the guy's heart for lost souls, but don't agree with how he measures true salvation, conviction, and repentance in one's life. I, along with you (I think), am leery of outward emotion being thee proof of God's working. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. And I do believe in the responsbility of man, like you said, to be faithful to share the Gospel and God's Word and the other things God calls us to do as Christians. But I also believe in the sovereign will of God.

Finally, for now, I believe that God is responsible for saving souls, not man. We're merely instruments. [i]"Let me say plainly that I have been faithful. No one's damnation can be blamed on me, for I didn't shrink from declaring all that God wants for you." (Acts 20:26)[/i] I believe it's our responsibility to be faithful and obey God's leading, but it's not by our power or by our will. [i]"Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit," says the Lord of hosts. (Zechariah 4:6b)[/i]

2004/10/8 17:44Profile
DezCall

The Netherlands

Well...finally a reply to this post. It has been two months now since the last has been made and I had a reply on my computer all that time, but didn't know if it were the right words or so. But, well, here it goes:

If God is to bring revival, we need to surrender. We need to see our own impossibilities to reach Gods standards, our impossibilities to be a vessel of the Holy Spirit.

I notice that I can speak much about what has to change in the Churches, but tonight the Lord confronted me with what has to change in my heart. Revival comes from the heart of God and needs to reach the hearts of His people before it can change/touch the hearts of others. Is my heart clean?

I had put the following consideration on paper...

[i]"It is wonderful what God can do with a broken heart, if He gets all the pieces."[/i]
– Samuel Chadwick

It is when a person comes to the end of his selfconfidence that Christ can enter the scene. Peter needed a confrontation with his impossibilities to follow Christ. He had given up everything to follow Jesus but the talk with a simple servant girl revealed his lack to meet Gods standards and he swore: [i]"I don't know the Man!" (Matthew 26:74)[/i].

How many times do I not say these words? "I don't know the Man"?? There's no hope for us or victory outside Jesus Himself. [i]"They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny Him" (Titus 1:16)[/i].

In these verses we can notice a certain pattern. First of all Peter only says that he doesn't know what she (the girl) is talking about, then he denies with an oath and finally he curses on himself and swore. If we give ourselves consciously to something that will hurt our relationship with Christ, we very often unconsciously will be taken captive to do things that will even more grieve the heart of God! We cannot draw a line when sin is concerned. We can't say: "till here and no further". Peter was very confused and frightened, but he couldn't just once say (to save himself): "I don't know this Man"...it went from bad to worse.

[i]"Immediately a rooster crowed"[/i]...the conviction of sin through the Holy Spirit. This is the moment we realize that we have been deceived by satan and with full knowledge have decided to disobey our loving Father.

[i]"And he went out and wept bitterly"[/i]. Yes, when I have sinned I quit sinning. Thank God that I still have that conscience. But do I weep bitterly? No, too little! I am disappointed, I am frustrated and I'm sad, but I don't often weep bitterly. I pray that I might weep bitterly, but if God doesn't grant it I won't generate it for then only my self will be satisfied. It's about the inner condition, not the external. We have to grip the essence of this and follow the footsteps of Peter...

Lets take a look at Peters encounter with the Lord after His resurrection. Which pattern can we recognize? Did Peter again try to "be someone". Did he again go from bad to worse through his pride and fear? Did Peter want to show Jesus that he only had made "a little mistake" but that he now was ready and capable to die for Him? NO!

Peter had lost his last straw of selfconfidence. He knew that He had messed up pretty badly. He knew that he couldn't expect anything good come out of him. No endurance or perseverance however, only short times of obedience to Him because it "felt" good and because the Master was present. But when Jesus wasn't there...he got himself into problems. He failed and he cries out in his talk with Christ: "Lord, thou knowest all things" (John 21:17). Isn't this exactly what we say when something goes all wrong: "You see, I can't do ANYthing...". It reveals despair, hopelesness. Peter faced his failures. "You know everything!" You know that I'm miserable and helpless and unworthy...

This is what I need Lord, this is what we need...getting to the point where we can only cry out: "Is there nothing for me? Is there nothing for me?" And this "nothing" will be answered with: SOMEONE! Jesus Christ.

When Peter was emptied...Jesus could fill!

[i]"Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save (or: preserve, heal) you." (James 1:21)[/i]

..which words? One of them being these: [i]“If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.” (John 8:34)[/i]. Not a method, nor by own strength…only through the Person of Jesus Christ. [i]"Christ in you, the hope of glory"(Colossians 1:27)[/i]

By these ways I think God is able to grant revival. We must come to the point where we can only boast in our weakness and shortcomings. The moment that we surrender. Revival actually means: new life. Where there's new life, there must have been death.

God, revive us...revive me

[i]"Revival is torrents of living water flowing out of the individual believer."[/i]
– James A. Stewart

In Him,

Paul

2004/12/22 13:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy