SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : is everybody's name written in the book of life?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
seek

is everybody's name written in the book of life?

hi,
i need to talk to a friend who believes this (i'll quote him):

'Discovered a very powerful truth recently...Everybody has their name written in the book of life of already...cos the blood of Jesus was shed for everyone...IT ONLY GETS BLOTTED OUT (AT THE POINT OF DEATH MOST LIKELY) when u refuse to accept Jesus Christ as ur LORD and PERSONAL SAVIOUR'

i know this is not true and the scripture he's used to support this has definitely been misinterpreted. i'll quote him again.

'its more of an insight than just a scripture quotation and i have to explain it to u..it based on an understanding that the purposes of God exist in twins...there is the true (already done in heaven) and as copy or shadow of the true (that which we are working out on earth in time) Matt 6vs 10, Heb 9 vs 23-24, Rev 13vs 8 and John 5 vs19-20.

the main scripture for the profile update is Ex 32 vs 31-33, vs 32 being the anchor scripture...let me know if u need further explanation'

anybody got scriptures to show the error of this kind of belief?

i'll keep doing my research on what to tell him(and pray God opens his eyes!)

thank you

2009/6/2 18:25Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: is everybody's name written in the book of life?

KJV Philippians 4:3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

KJV Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

KJV Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

KJV Revelation 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

KJV Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

KJV Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

KJV Revelation 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

KJV Revelation 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

those who overcome will have their name written in the book of life, those who have trusted in the slain lamb will have their names in that book, the others wont.

we can argue that all have their names in it from birth, but as we reject God he erases it, or based on Gods foreknowledge he already have all those who will accept him or die at an early age written therein.

I dont know, but i do know the verses above gives us a pretty clear view of who and who will not have their name in this book.

2009/6/2 18:40Profile

Re:

Thank you hmmhmm for posting all of these. I never searched out all of these but they sure do confirm my own personal beliefs - that I won't debate anyone over.

This one confirms to me Romans 8:29 - that "those who HE [b]foreknew[/b]" from the foundation of the world would come to HIM - His "Foreknowledge" ...

KJV Revelation 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

And this one confirms to me that they still have freewill - though they tarried with Him for a season -

KJV Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Many are called but few are chosen. The chosen are the Elect and they're Elect because HE forknew that they'd remain faithful unto the end.

Thank you.

GOD Bless you all.

2009/6/2 19:49
tjservant

Indiana USA

Some people imagine God just watching life play itself out like a TV show. They believe God has to watch to see who will make it and who will not. This is not the truth. God knows all. He is not waiting to see who makes it. He knows everything before it happens. He knew everything before He created it. Why would a sovereign and omniscient God write a name in the Book of Life when He knows He will only have to erase it when the person eventually apostatizes (something He knew would happen) and denies the faith?

These articles should help clarify some common misunderstandings surrounding this and other related issues.

Question: "What is the Book of Life?"

Answer: Revelation 20:15 declares, “If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.” The Book of Life is the set of names of those who will live with God forever in heaven. It is the roll of those who are saved. This Book of Life is also mentioned in Revelation 3:5; 20:12; and Philippians 4:3. The same book is also called the Lamb’s Book of Life because it contains the names of those who have been redeemed by the blood of the Lord Jesus (Revelation 13:8; 21:27).

How can you be sure your name is written in the Book of Life? Be sure you’re saved. Repent of sin and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior (Philippians 4:3; Revelation 3:5). Once your name is written in the Book of Life, it is never erased (Revelation 3:5; Romans 8:37-39). No true believer should doubt his eternal security in Christ (John 10:28-30).

The Great White Throne Judgment described in Revelation 20:11-15 is a judgment for unbelievers. That passage makes it clear that no one at that judgment has his name in the Book of Life (Revelation 20:12-14). Since their names are not in the Book of Life, their fate is sealed, their punishment is sure.

Some people point to Revelation 3:5 as “proof” that a person can lose his salvation. However, the promise of Revelation 3:5 is clearly that the Lord will not erase a name: “He who overcomes . . . I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life.” An overcomer is one who is victorious over the temptations, trials, and evils of this world—in other words, one who is redeemed. The saved are written in God’s registry and have the promise of eternal security.

Another passage over which confusion sometimes arises is Psalm 69:28: “Let them [David’s enemies] be blotted out of the book of the living.” This “book of the living” should not be confused with the Lamb’s Book of Life. David is referring to earthly, physical life, not eternal life in heaven. The same is true of the “book” mentioned in Exodus 32:32-33.

God keeps good records. He knows His own, and He has set the names of His children permanently in His book. [url=http://www.gotquestions.org/book-of-life.html]Source[/url]

Question: "Is it possible for a person's name to be erased from the Book of Life?"

Answer: Revelation 22:19 says, “And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.” This verse is usually involved in the debate concerning eternal security. Does Revelation 22:19 mean that after a person’s name is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, it can at some time in the future be erased? In other words, can a Christian lose his salvation?

First, Scripture is clear that a true believer is kept secure by the power of God, sealed for the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30), and of all those whom the Father has given to the Son, He will lose none of them (John 6:39). The Lord Jesus Christ proclaimed, "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand" (John 10:28-29b). Salvation is God’s work, not ours (Titus 3:5), and it is His power that keeps us.

If the “anyone” referred to in Revelation 22:19 are not believers, who are they? In other words, who might want to either add to or take away from the words of the Bible? Most likely, this tampering with God’s Word would be done not by true believers but by those who only profess to be Christians and who suppose that their names are in the Book of Life. Generally speaking, the two main groups who have traditionally tampered with the Revelation are pseudo-Christian cults and those who hold to very liberal theological beliefs. Many cults and theological liberals claim the name of Christ as their own, but they are not "born again"—the definitive biblical term for a Christian.

The Bible cites several examples of those who thought they were believers, but whose profession was proven to be false. In John 15, Jesus refers to them as branches that did not remain in Him, the true Vine, and therefore did not produce any fruit. We know they are false because “by their fruits you shall know them” (Matthew 7:16, 20); true disciples will exhibit the fruit of the Holy Spirit who resides within them (Galatians 5:22). In 2 Peter 2:22, false professors are dogs returning to their own vomit and a sow who “after washing herself returns to wallow in the mire” (ESV). The barren branch, the dog, and the pig are all symbols of those who profess to have salvation, but who have nothing more than their own righteousness to rely upon, not the righteousness of Christ which truly saves.

It is doubtful that those who have repented of their sin and been born again would willingly tamper with God's Word in this way—adding to it or taking from it. Of course, we recognize that good people have sincerely held differences in the area of textual criticism! But it can be demonstrated how cultists and liberals have repeatedly done both "adding to" and "taking away from." Thus, we can understand God's warning in Revelation 22:19 in this manner: Anyone who tampers with this crucial message will find that God did not place his name in the Book of Life, will be denied access to the Holy City, and will forfeit any expectation of all the good things He promises to His saints in this book.

From a purely logical standpoint, why would the sovereign and omniscient God—He who knows the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:10)—write a name in the Book of Life when He knows He will only have to erase it when that person eventually apostatizes and denies the faith? Additionally, if you read this warning within the context of the paragraph in which it appears—Revelation 22:6-19—you can clearly see God remains consistent in His theology: only those who have taken heed of His warnings, repented and been born again will have any good to look forward to in eternity. All others, sadly, have a terrible and terrifying future awaiting them.

Revelation 3:5 is another verse that impacts this issue. “He who overcomes . . . I will never blot out his name from the book of life.” The “overcomer” mentioned in this letter to Sardis is the Christian. Compare this with 1 John 5:4: “Everyone who is born of God overcomes the world.” And verse 5: “Who is he that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” (See also 1 John 2:13.) All believers are “overcomers” in that they have been granted victory over the sin and unbelief of the world.

Some people see in Revelation 3:5 the picture of God’s pen poised, ready to strike out the name of any Christian who sins. They read into it something like this: “If you mess up and don’t win the victory, then you’re going to lose your salvation! In fact, I will erase your name from the Book of Life!” But this is NOT what the verse says. Jesus is giving a promise here, not a warning.

Never does Scripture say that God erases a believer’s name from the Book of Life—there is never even a warning that He is contemplating it! The wonderful promise of Revelation 3:5 is that Jesus will NOT erase one’s name. Speaking to the “overcomers”—all those redeemed by the blood of the Lamb—Jesus gives His word that He will not delete their names. He affirms that once a name is there, it is there forever. This is based on the faithfulness of God.

The promise of Revelation 3:5 is directed to believers, who are secure in their salvation. In contrast, the warning of Revelation 22:19 is directed to unbelievers, who, rather than change their hearts toward God, attempt to change God’s Word to suit themselves. [url=http://www.gotquestions.org/erased-book-life.html]Source[/url]

2009/6/2 21:20Profile
int3grity

Hi Seek. You can show him one verse that will remove any doubts.

Revelation 13:8 All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has NOT been written FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain.(NASB)

Everyone who didn't have their names written before they were created , EVERYONE, will take the mark of the beast. You see, the doctrine of election settles all these petty little issues.

2009/6/3 1:04Profile

Re:

Just looked at Torrey's TSK and these were the cross-references he gave for that one section of Rev 3:5 -

blot: Exo 32:32-33 Deut 9:14 Psa 69:28 Psa 109:13

2009/6/3 1:45
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

Jesus-is-GOD wrote:
Just looked at Torrey's TSK and these were the cross-references he gave for that one section of Rev 3:5 -

blot: Exo 32:32-33 Deut 9:14 Psa 69:28 Psa 109:13

yes it should give uss fear not to play around and be unfaithful, its only those whoi overcome that will have their name in that book, we see in revelation what they needed to overcome in the letters to the seven churches, lack of love, false teachings, unspotted garments from the world, lukewarmness, also having a name about us that we asre alive but our true reality is death, inside we are dead even tho we have many religious activities on the outside inside we are ruled by sin and self and the world.

so it is a serious cry from revelation, he who overcomes these things will not be blotted out, i know many disagree but i think those who continue to be lukewarm and in that state as described even thou once saved will not make it but be blotted out of his book.

the thing with revelation is not so much understanding what it says as doing what it says, it says blessed those that keep....

Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near (Rev 1:3 NKJ)

we must do what it says, not just understand it :-)

2009/6/3 2:10Profile
fearGod1

I am late to the response; I see this thread was created in 2009. I do have an opinion on this subject, but the bible could be interpreted in several different ways. And many do.

I wouldn't hurt a Christian brother/sister all for the sake of wanting to be right. We will know all truths when we meet God face to face. We may find out our research wasn't totally right.

I would encourage the person who wants to correct their friend on their viewpoint to tread lightly. If your friend is a true believer, celebrate this! Don't get caught up in who is right or wrong due to our earthly research.

We are not here to prove and disprove each others biblical research. God gives a measure of faith to each of us.

Yes, it is fun to have discussion, but you seem certain that you are right. How do you know? for certain...

As Christians, we need to unite with each other and go about the business of saving the lost.

Go ahead have a friendly discussion, but don't forget to love.

2019/6/26 14:25Profile
sanctified57

Re:

I believe this is a wrong translation and thus a wrong conclusion is drawn regarding the book of life. The correct reading is from the NKJ version.
“And all who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in THE BOOK OF LIFE OF THE LAMB SLAIN FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.” (Rev 13:8)

It is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, and not any names that have or have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world.

2019/12/1 12:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy