Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Sympathizing With Others

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
chapel

Sympathizing With Others

Sympathizing With Others

"Son, be of good cheer, thy sins are forgiven"
(Matt. 9:2).

I do not find for one moment that my sinfulness makes it easier for me to fathom and to sympathize with the moral need of others. Quite the contrary I find that my own harsh judgments of myself continually make me pass harsh judgments on other people. I find that my own easy judgments on myself continually make me pass easy judgments on other people. Sometimes it works the other way and I cover self-indulgence by being exacting to others.
I am, in short, erratic and confused. Always I read into others my moral mood at the moment, and I see them, not as they are, but through the distorting medium of my own profound dissatisfaction and conflict with myself. Furthermore, sin not only fogs the understanding, but it dries up the sympathies and the affections. Moral conflict within dams back and turns inwards the vital energies which are meant to flow outwards in sympathy with, and service to, other lives.
Really to love other people, really to enter into their lives and be identified with them and stand beside them, is so difficult and so exacting, that it demands that the soul's energies should be completely released from any exhausting, internal struggle with itself.
That sounds like the jargon of modern psychology but any one can deduce it from a little observation of himself. It is after some renewed experience of forgiveness, when, for a time at any rate, the inner conflict is allayed, that a man's feelings and desires are most responsive to the need of others.
When the gospel of God's forgiveness has deeply laid hold of a man he feels for the moment that he could take the whole world to his bosom and that he would do anything to share the benefit with everyone he meets. It is the peaceful heart which is the deeply sympathetic heart. There is no doubt of that. As sin gets hold of us again and the old conflict returns, so we become conscious of a re-hardening of the surfaces of personality, a withdrawal of sympathy with others, an increase of callousness.
Sin is like leprosy in the sphere of the spirit. It anesthetizes the skin.

Herbert Henry Farmer

2009/5/26 14:49Profile

Re: Sympathizing With Others

You've hit the nail on the head with this one Chapel.

Pharasiticalism or legalism makes people [b]HARD.[/b]

They are trying to control their own lusts and sin the same way as one trying to hold a beach ball under the water. It takes two hands to do. That leaves no hands left for kindness to others - lest if they gave way to having a heart - they fear the beach ball may Pop-Up.

Using one's own natural strength to "not sin" will eventually be exposed.

There is coming a day when HE will cause all hands to be raised straight up and all those beach balls will be come to the surface at that time.

Better to allow the LORD to take that meat tenderizer hammer to our hearts now than to bear the shame of what the last days may bring to the light. The sooner the better - Amen!

Because we post articles that sound Holy - doesn't make us the Authors who wrote them, neither the ones who have gone through what the Author has, to produce such messages.

It's truth in the inward parts time, before GOD.

Thank you!

2009/5/26 16:47
tjservant

Indiana USA

Quote:

chapel wrote:
Sympathizing With Others

"Son, be of good cheer, thy sins are forgiven"
(Matt. 9:2).

I do not find for one moment that my sinfulness makes it easier for me to fathom and to sympathize with the moral need of others. Quite the contrary I find that my own harsh judgments of myself continually make me pass harsh judgments on other people. I find that my own easy judgments on myself continually make me pass easy judgments on other people. Sometimes it works the other way and I cover self-indulgence by being exacting to others.
I am, in short, erratic and confused. Always I read into others my moral mood at the moment, and I see them, not as they are, but through the distorting medium of my own profound dissatisfaction and conflict with myself. Furthermore, sin not only fogs the understanding, but it dries up the sympathies and the affections. Moral conflict within dams back and turns inwards the vital energies which are meant to flow outwards in sympathy with, and service to, other lives.
Really to love other people, really to enter into their lives and be identified with them and stand beside them, is so difficult and so exacting, that it demands that the soul's energies should be completely released from any exhausting, internal struggle with itself.
That sounds like the jargon of modern psychology but any one can deduce it from a little observation of himself. It is after some renewed experience of forgiveness, when, for a time at any rate, the inner conflict is allayed, that a man's feelings and desires are most responsive to the need of others.
When the gospel of God's forgiveness has deeply laid hold of a man he feels for the moment that he could take the whole world to his bosom and that he would do anything to share the benefit with everyone he meets. It is the peaceful heart which is the deeply sympathetic heart. There is no doubt of that. As sin gets hold of us again and the old conflict returns, so we become conscious of a re-hardening of the surfaces of personality, a withdrawal of sympathy with others, an increase of callousness.
Sin is like leprosy in the sphere of the spirit. It anesthetizes the skin.

Herbert Henry Farmer

Wow...

Thanks for posting this.

2009/5/26 21:15Profile
chapel

Hi Jesus-is-God and tjservant,

You are both welcome.

Jesus-is-God, I enjoyed your analogy with the beach balls, very good, thank you.

One very important part of not falling into sin is just as true today as when David said it;
“Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee.”

We must continue to feast upon the word of God as Jesus said;
Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
John 8:31-32
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; [32] And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Paul to Timothy;
2 Tim. 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Tim. 3:14-17
But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; [15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. [16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

So we can say from our hearts;
Psalm 119:127
Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.

Because of Him
lee

2009/5/27 5:12Profile

Re:

Amen Lee. We are washed by the cleansing of The Word.

My thought was in line with these two verses as well -

Psa 139:23,24 [b]Search me, O God, and know my heart: [u]try me[/u], and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.[/b]

Our natural attempt or own effort to see and then 'control' our flesh, weaknesses or sin is what I see as straining to hide that beach ball when He wants to work these things out of us, with 'fruit that remains' and with us knowing that we truly don't 'know ourselves' and the things that we are not even conscious of - of why we do the things we do or that we have displeasing ways. What underlying pride, etc dwells in us.
That's where the complete 'surrender' of ourselves - willingly on His altar, being willing and asking Him to "try" us and show us our ways & whys "no matter the cost".
Complete surrender, deep prayer and then seeing and believing that all that happens to us, is to bring us into His Image [His main desire for us] and not our own self-conceived image.
None of us truly 'know ourselves' or how we will react during surprise events or temptations - but complete surrender as a lifestyle and not a one-time event - living in total dependence, not trusting in ourselves will place the reins of our hearts into His Hands.

I'd rather be exposed or embarrassed by Him now, preferably privately if possible, then to fail Him and myself & others in any coming trial or temptation.
I pray He shows me 'all' of what I'm made out of and every day reminds me of my dire need to remain totally dependent on Him to show me myself and get me through - moment by moment.
Desiring to hear His Voice and to follow and to not follow another.
As that Precious Communion that He had with the Father while He was here. An unbroken fellowship with and leaning dependently on Him.

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing

Php 3:9-11 And be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: that I may [b]know[/b] Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

Amen, "Because of Him"

Thank you!

2009/5/27 11:05
chapel

Re:

Yes Jesus-is-God,

Reveal all that would bring you displeasure in me today Lord, for tomorrow may be too late. May my life be a beacon pointing only to you Lord.

It is His word that must be my light and guide to what is His will in and for my life.
Psalm 119:105
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psalm 119:130
The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

I definitely fit into the simple category.

One of my favorite scriptures:

Philip. 3:9-11 And be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: that I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

My joy will be complete when I come to the place of really Knowing Him.

Because of Him
lee

2009/5/28 5:09Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy