SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Survival or to survive?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Survival or to survive?

Recent talk about the coming collapse of our economy in the next few years. How should we as Christians process this? Should we side on caution and store up foods? Should we be like Joseph and begin our own storehouse?

Why many are saying, "peace and safety", switch destruction can be around the corner. Are these not times right now that we should not be prayerfully looking at?

Reformer

2009/5/25 20:09
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Survival or to survive?

Hi Brother Reformer...

I believe that our response should be what it always should be...do not worry. This is true of any troubles that we encounter -- including physical needs.

The Lord prompted us regarding such things in Matthew 6:25-34. God knows how to take care of His people...and worry is often described as a "lack of faith" regarding his provisions.

Here is the same passage as it reads in the KJV and the NIV. Be encouraged, dear brother, that the Lord knows our needs even better than we do.

[b]Matthew 6:25-34[/b]
25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

[b]Matthew 6:25-34 NIV[/b]
25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

:-)

2009/5/25 22:18Profile

[url=http://www.survivalblog.com/]survival blog dot com[/url]

the site is run by a well saved And God honoring man,

2009/5/25 22:41

Re:

I wouldn't say I am worried, but more what shall I do to prepare? Isn't it wise to prepare, to make haste. we can't people like the ten virgins who were not prepared. I don't suggest selling all and moving to remote location. However though I did see some beautiful parcels of land that would be awesome to live on. Its business as usual for a lot of us. Part of America's problem and Christians is that we don't think about the future. We don't save, we don't plan, we have to have it right now. we are slothful when it comes to doing things in our everyday life.

But you are correct we should not be worried, perfect love cast our fear.

blessings
reformer

2009/5/26 7:01
NoWhining

East Texas

Re:

Chris made an excellent point. Also keep in mind in the past, country people canned their food crops each year to feed themselves through the winter. Money and a store to buy food might not be available. Also, Brother Wilkerson recently suggested all believers have a 30 day supply of food to carry them through a period of supply delays.

For our family, we have some food saved, and also have a small garden and some square foot gardens growing vegetables to can and give to our church family and the poor.

Be thankful to God for the harvest and store food if you feel you should. Besides, God may use you to feed one of His disciples or prophets whom He told to not carry supplies on their journey. Be assured, God will direct you in the way you should go.

2009/5/26 8:32Profile
anonymity

Reformer,

I have also thought much over this question and felt the weight of it. I also have been trying to get strong clear answers on the subject.

I would say as best I can that we necessarily have to be worrying but wise.

We as Christians should be the wise we should be the prepared and the servants even practically we are to be zealous in.

It does not even have to be some apocalyptic end time event for the US to collapse there are many other countries that are in hard states and there is not too many reasons I can see why we very well may be in the same situation why not.

I don't know all that much about economics in the micro or macro sense so I can't really give you an answer on that and I don't think most economist can ever really have it down, but there may be some somewhat solid answers out there.

I guess you would also want to go with what the Holy Spirit is telling you if you are seeking Him well and maybe also through the body to receive prophesy.

I am not sure that it would ever be a bad idea to at least prepare some.

However. I would say though that I do not always think it the best idea to live rurally if perchance there is no depression because there are many business opportunities in the city and so forth. Though this may be like the tower of Babel or Babylon or something I do not fully understand it all, but at least some are called to it.

I am interested in learning how to do some survival stuff and living more naturally. Farming, solar energy off the grid, and even down to the smaller things like sewage and so forth. Neil provided a site and I haven't really studied those, but am interested in doing so. I did however see a show called 30 days in which some peoples lives were documented that lived that way and I learned a lot even how they run their cars on vegetable oil. Once again this is no hurt in learning this stuff I mean I once had the attitude of why learn to fix my car if I can just pay to get it fixed for not that much since time is money, but one day you might not have money to fix it so you have to do it yourself or you may be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

But it is true though even though we might say we are not worrying deep down we may not be abounding in faith and we need to be exhorted to do so.

I have heard people trying to tie the fall of the US to the prophesied judgment of God and it may very well be. However I do not think you can say that it was prophesied in Scripture because I am pretty sure it is not the Babylon in Revelation and if not I understand that many economies will thrive right up the trib as it speaks of the rich merchants and I am sure we are not in the middle of the trib. It could though be a general judgment in which the proud are humbled or if you call the US a country of God then it could be a judgment on His people.

So.. In the end my answer is have faith, be wise, be practical, seek prophecy, it wouldnt hurt to prepare at least some, but I do not know which way the economy is headed it could be either way and in uncertain times it is always wise unless told by God otherwise to be practically careful and I know all times are uncertain but these are at least times when we know they are emphatically so.

Lastly about the economy I wish I knew more it could be that the US economy is so established that it would take much more to dethrone it. I mean we may have so many assets and just so integral to so many things that it is just solidified deeply. I have not really heard of a Kingdom falling due to bad business ventures but mainly to physical war, but times may be different like the USSR or how we are more of an intelligence war age. Or it could be that this was our greatest weakness since we were a soft democracy and since we weren't like normal kingdoms which seek to take everything over when they get the chance and rule their people that we also in a non ordinary way crumbled.

2009/5/26 9:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy