SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Cheney backs homosexual "freedom" to marry?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Cheney backs homosexual "freedom" to marry?

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

Vice President Dick Cheney, whose oldest daughter is a lesbian, said Tuesday he believed that decisions about same-sex marriages should be left to the states, contending that "freedom means freedom for everyone."

Despite his personal view, he added, President Bush is his boss, and Bush favors an amendment to the Constitution banning such marriages. "The president makes policy for the administration," Cheney said.

His comments came in response to a question during an invitation-only town hall meeting in Davenport.

Cheney's remarks were his first this year on the gay marriage issue while campaigning.

Religious conservatives, a key part of the Republican coalition, strongly support a federal ban on same-sex marriage. But recent Senate debate on the issue showed that it is a divisive subject among GOP lawmakers. Cheney's view represents a rare break by him from the party's conservative base.

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue that our family is very familiar with," Cheney said Tuesday. "With respect to the question of relationships, my general view is that freedom means freedom for everyone. People ... ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to.

2004/8/25 15:14Profile
rookie

Re: Cheney backs homosexual "freedom" to marry?

Jesus' promise to man, He will free us from the bondage of sin. Man preaches another kind of freedom.

"Let us break Their bonds in pieces and cast away Their cords from us." Psalm 2:3

What freedom do we seek?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/8/25 15:34Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

rookie wrote:
Jesus' promise to man, He will free us from the bondage of sin. Man preaches another kind of freedom...What freedom do we seek?

If your daughter was lesbian, what would you do?

The reality for him is that his own daughter has chosen to walk that way. Does he disavow her, tell her that she is no daughter of his? Not to be the judge of one mans character who I know little about, but it seems that he was speaking as a father.

It does motivate one to pray.

2004/8/25 15:53Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

Thous who are outside the body are already judged.Freedom means we can makeup our minds. choose life or choose the dark side.
why is it people want us to justify there sin's and make it lawful. well let God be true and every man a lier. the time will come when good is bad and bad is good hmm read that some where.

2004/8/25 22:20Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother ZekeO wrote:

Quote:
If your daughter was lesbian, what would you do?

I have an 8 year old daughter that I love. If she fell into this sinful life style I would not accept her lifestyle because I love her. I would call for her to repent. I would never accept her willingness to choose spiritual death. I would pray for her till I die.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/8/26 11:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy