SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : THE REALM OF THE REAL by Oswald Chambers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 THE REALM OF THE REAL by Oswald Chambers

[b]THE REALM OF THE REAL[/b]

"In your patience possess ye your souls." Luke 21:19

When a man is born again, there is not the same robustness in his thinking or reasoning for a time as formerly. We have to make an expression of the new life, to form the mind of Christ. "Acquire your soul with patience." Many of us prefer to stay at the threshold of the Christian life instead of going on to construct a soul in accordance with the new life God has put within. We fail because we are ignorant of the way we are made, we put things down to the devil instead of our own undisciplined natures. Think what we can be when we are roused!

There are certain things we must not pray about - moods, for instance. Moods never go by praying, moods go by kicking. A mood nearly always has its seat in the physical condition, not in the moral. It is a continual effort not to listen to the moods which arise from a physical condition, never submit to them for a second. We have to take ourselves by the scruff of the neck and shake ourselves, and we will find that we can do what we said we could not. The curse with most of us is that we won't. The Christian life is one of incarnate spiritual pluck.

2009/5/20 8:36Profile

Re: THE REALM OF THE REAL by Oswald Chambers

I love the Title of this one.

How often do we misjudge other's 'characters' by what is just a passing mood - labeling them thus or thus, when it was just a present state that they were in. How could we have helped them at those times, rather than condemn?

Other than just "physical conditions" - there are also the daily stressors - "situational" induced moods. A man may work all day - have a flat on the way home - find his family in a riot when he gets home and then sets back to relax on the internet, only to find messages that send him off. Oy - the complexities of life and not even factoring the enemy of our souls, taunting us with his lies.

Pray we make room for these passing 'moods' with one another.

Now if someone could just tell me what "spiritual pluck" is - I myself may find even the more help from this piece.

:-) Thanks!

2009/5/21 0:07
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
Now if someone could just tell me what "spiritual pluck" is - I myself may find even the more help from this piece.

PLUCK, v.t.

1. To pull with sudden force or effort, or to pull off, out or from, with a twitch. Thus we say, to pluck feathers from a fowl; to pluck hair or wool from a skin; to pluck grapes or other fruit.

They pluck the fatherless from the breast. Job.24.

2. To strip by plucking; as, to pluck a fowl.

They that pass by do pluck her. Ps.80.

The sense of this verb is modified by particles.

To pluck away, to pull away, or to separate by pulling; to tear away.

He shall pluck away his crop with his feathers. Lev.1.

To pluck down, to pull down; to demolish; or to reduce to a lower state.

To pluck off, is to pull or tear off; as, to pluck off the skin. Mic.3.

To pluck on, to pull or draw on.

pluck up, to tear up by the roots or from the foundation; to eradicate; to exterminate; to destroy; as, to pluck up a plant; to pluck up a nation. Jer.12.

To pluck out, to draw out suddenly or to tear out; as, to pluck out the eyes; to pluck out the hand from the bosom. Ps.74.

To pluck up, to resume courage; properly, to pluck up the heart. [Not elegant.]

PLUCK, n. The heart, liver and lights of an animal.

http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,pluck

2009/5/21 1:18Profile

Re:

Thank you HeartSong.

It must be that I'm dense - admittedly.

"The Christian life is one of [b]incarnate spiritual pluck.[/b]"

I suppose "effort" would be the best fit - right?

Now "pickles" I would have grasped much easier.

Hey, thank you also for that website - I've desktopped it - for next time. :-)

2009/5/21 1:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy