SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Some Persecution at Homeless Shelter

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Some Persecution at Homeless Shelter

Please pray for me in the preaching of the gospel. Tonight I went to a nearby homeless shelter to preach during dinner time, as has been my semi-regular habit over the past several years. Tonight, I was informed by the director of the shelter, who happens to be a Southern Baptist minister, that I can't do that anymore. Apparently those who help fund the shelter have requested such open preaching not be allowed to happen to a "captive audience." Apparently last month my preaching upset somebody, and the shelter was worried they might lose financial backing. Of course, all this is merely smoke and mirrors, as we do not wrestle against flesh and blood. I was talking with the team of people we take to minister at the shelter, and we agreed that we'll continue to come there and serve the food we cook as usual, but we'll take a low key and more one-on-one approach with people. I must say, though rejoicing for being persecuted for preaching the resurrection of Jesus Christ, I think it is truly sad when you can't openly bring the gospel message to a homeless shelter of all places!

Blessings.

2009/5/16 20:55Profile

Re: Some Persecution at Homeless Shelter

Thank you for posting this Jimmy. Quite the eye-opener. Is this in a big city or a smaller not quite as well-known rescue mission elsewhere?
Just trying to get a feel of the atmosphere out there - sort of like a spiritual meteorologist reading I guess you'd say.

2009/5/16 21:43
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Some Persecution at Homeless Shelter

In light of no longer being able to openly preach at the shelter, this evening I created a small 1 page tract to hand out with every meal served. Though people need a meal, they need the word more, and I'm determined to get it to them in whatever way possible. Knowing many people at the shelter have bad eye sight or don't read very well, I made this in a large print. Let me know what you guys think:

--
There was once a woman who had a severe medical issue that caused her to constantly bleed. She lived in a time and place where there were very few doctors, and the doctors that were available were not very good. She suffered with her illness for many years, unable to find a cure. Many of her friends and family refused to have anything to do with her because of her disease. She lived a very lonely life, was full of despair, and was entirely without hope.

Then one day, this woman heard of a man named Jesus. She heard everybody talking of how Jesus was being used by God to heal those who were sick. Feeling a sense of hope for the first time in a long time, this woman started to search for Jesus, and one day, found Him surrounded by a large crowd of people. With so many people crowding Jesus, she thought it might be impossible to get His attention. But she did not lose hope. She thought to herself, “If I can just get close enough to touch the edge of His clothing, I will be healed.” Desperate, this woman pushed her way through the crowd of people. Finally, she got close enough to barely touch Him. But when she touched Him, she instantly found herself healed of her disease. Her life was never the same again.

Over 2,000 years ago, Jesus Christ came into this world preaching that men should turn from their wicked ways, and that they should instead love God with all their hearts and serve Him. He also healed the sick and raised the dead. However, the greatest thing Jesus ever did was dying on a cross for all of our sins, and after three days, coming back to life. And because He is still alive today, this same Jesus is still making a difference in the lives of people all around the world. The question is, like the woman in the story above, will you seek Him out with all of your heart? In His word, He promises us that He will allow you to find Him if you do.
----

2009/5/17 0:53Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:
Thank you for posting this Jimmy. Quite the eye-opener. Is this in a big city or a smaller not quite as well-known rescue mission elsewhere?
Just trying to get a feel of the atmosphere out there - sort of like a spiritual meteorologist reading I guess you'd say.

This shelter is in an old and worn out city named Statesville, in central North Carolina. The city has about 60,000 residents altogether, and due to the collapse of the textile mill industry in recent years, is now also very poor. Needless to say, the shelter is in the worst part of town. When my brother-in-law was a cop for the city, he was fearful to go to that part of town because of the violence, drugs, and prostitution that is rampant in that area... and he had a gun! This shelter has been around for many years, and is the "ministry" of a Southern Baptist church somewhere in town. While it receives a lot of funding and donations from local area churches, it also receives a lot of money from the United Way, and some funding from the city of Statesville. They recently tore down their really old building, and erected a new state of the art shelter in its place.

The shelter probably feeds 100-200 people every day. For dinner, tonight, we personally prepared a meal and served about 60-70 people. I'm not sure exactly how many it provides a bed for at night. I'd imagine it sleeps at least 100+ people.

2009/5/17 1:07Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

Guys, I just found this in the archives,
what an encouragement! Jimmy, how have things progressed since you've stopped preaching and started handing out tracts (well presented BTW)?
It seems that there are two types that are drawn to helping the downtrodden- Christians with a desire for sharing Christ's [i]exlcusive[/i] love, and either grass roots or philanthropic liberal. Unfortunately the latter can't stand to hear God glorified.

Blessings Jimmy!
Joe

2009/7/11 22:51Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Well, I've unfortunately not been able to go back to the shelter since then. My church only gets to go once a month, and the last two months I've had family come in town each night that we'd normally go. I've not had the chance to talk to the others who go to see how it has faired for them. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers though.

2009/7/11 23:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy