SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The basis for the basin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ceedub

Canada

The basis for the basin

Does Christ's last teaching before the cross to the disciples teach simple humility, or is there more to it?

It seems to me that Christ's point in the washing of the feet was to teach the disciples not only humility, but to be patient and forgiving to others in the church.

In a nutshell, here's what I see...

1) The disciples arguing about who'd be the greatest. Peter is singled out and shown that he'd be sifted, but afterwards would encourage his brethren, showing at the time no place for even the thought of failure on his own part.

2) Peter is singled out durring the washing of the feet. Peter is told that he doesn't understand now, but will afterwards (hard fit if only about humility). He is also shown that his salvation is not in doubt (for he is clean from the words spoken to him) but rather the sanctifying process must continue.
(Note that the following verse ends the Lords teaching of the washing...
Jhn 13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.)

3) Peter, singled out again in the account, denies Christ (abandoning the Lord as the others, but to a worse degree).

4) And finally, Peter is singled out when Christ comes to them on the shore while they fish and catch nothing. As Peter realizes it's the Lord, he jumps the ship and swims to Christ, where Jesus forgives Peter (in a unique way) once for each denial, sending back into the ministry. (Maybe a good lesson to the church in how it handles repentant people)

I believe that the foot washing goes hand in hand with this sequence of events in which Peter is singled out to teach the disciples of their great need for humility and to extend forgiveness to one another. It seems as though the reason Peter didn't understand at first but would thereafter, was because the Lord was washing all their feet of their sins they were about to commit against him in his time of greatest sorrow at the cross, but had not yet done.

They would understand afterwards, especially Peter, of their failings toward Jesus. But Peter would remember best, I think, that night Jesus washed his feet.

Peter isn't the same in the epistles as in the gospels. There's humility. But there's also a compassion to others as he leads the church. For one with Peter's 'I'll do anything and I'm never wrong and I never fail' attitude wouldn't cut it.

Peter was forgiven by his master for the worst of sins. Instead of condemning Peter, the Lord knelt down and washed his feet. Amazing example.

Afterwards, I bet Peter 'washed a lot of feet' himself.

And his brethren are still being encouraged by him to this day.

2009/5/12 18:21Profile

Re: The basis for the basin

Brother, this is Beautiful. I believe the message on "forgiveness" is paramount - can't seem to say that with enough Oomph.

I heard a sermon a few years ago that was so convincing with loads of Scripture that said that "unforgiveness" is the unpardonable sin.

I'm sure you know every Scripture regarding "forgiving" that He's spoken.

There is much more in your post - being mainly about humility. GOD Bless you for it. You're an asset here and hope you will pour out more in the days ahead - in Jesus' Precious Name.
GOD Bless you & yours.
"Preach"

2009/5/13 13:30

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy