SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : L.R. Choosing rather to suffer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

L.R. Choosing rather to suffer

These are two quotes from Leonard Ravenhills sermon "Choosing rather to suffer" with my few thoughts on each one.

"The preacher who can preach without tears shouldn't be preaching, he should be fired." Leonard Ravenhill

Any man can preach, but only Gods men know how to weep. A sure sign that our like Jesus is to be a "man of sorrows, aquanted with greive". Preachers today don't weep because they don't have the heart of God. If they dont have the heart of God then why do we trust them to have the word of God???

heres another quote:
" He (Jesus) did not have the fastest growing church. You belong to the fastest growing church? Theres something wrong with it! Jesus had the fastest desolving church." LR

Many in our day believe that because somebody is the pastor of a mega church that it means they must be a man of God and that God is blessing them. It's not true, the devil is cursing them. The bible says that in these days, the last days, false teachers and false prophets would have many followers. It never said that the preachers of righteousness would have many followers, rather it said they would be thrown in jail and hated just like their master Jesus was.

2004/8/22 17:14
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: L.R. Choosing rather to suffer

Quote:

Lazarus1719 wrote:
Preachers today don't weep because they don't have the heart of God. If they dont have the heart of God then why do we trust them to have the word of God???

Tears are only an outward sign of an inward stirring or it may just be an emotional response. In the context of how he was using it, I think he is referring more to a brokeness of heart, than to tears as the object. After all Essau sought his blessing with tears and it meant nothing.

Jesus wept, the bible tells me so, but on the sermon on the mount, it mentions nothing about him weeping. He was undoubtedly the greatest preacher that ever lived, I might be focussing on the wrong thing of what you were saying, but to draw such a big line in the sand is dangerous. It also says that Jesus was full of joy, so am I to reason then that when I preach I must be full of Joy.:-? Which is it to be? Could get rather confusing.
Quote:

" He (Jesus) did not have the fastest growing church. You belong to the fastest growing church? Theres something wrong with it! Jesus had the fastest desolving church." LR

Gods original intention is that we go, so a desolving Church (as in going into all the earth, certainly is his plan). It took persecution in acts for the message to spread into all the world. With mega Churches there must be such a rich store of capable men and women whom GOd could use in the nations of the earth.

2004/8/22 17:51Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Tears are only an outward sign of an inward stirring or it may just be an emotional response. In the context of how he was using it, I think he is referring more to a brokeness of heart, than to tears as the object. After all Essau sought his blessing with tears and it meant nothing.

I think his context is correct. Prophets and men of God that shared the burden of God has extreme anguish of soul and at the same time extreme joy in the Lord and assurance of Gods grace. Weeping is necessary, joy is necessary, its within that paradox of faith without works is dead. There is an outworking of the work of God in our hearts, if you have a broken burdened heart from God sharing his grief over the lost and the church.

All the great saints from the past weeped over souls as if they were sharing Gods burden for souls. This sermon near the middle characterizes some of these stories of whitefield, mcheyne and others:

[b][url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4598]Prevailing Prayer[/url][/b] by Gerhard Du Toit - [i]In this message brother Gerhard shares his heart on a subject that characterizes his life. He breaks down some commonly help ideas of what prevailing prayer is, and shares many great stories and examples from great saints of God that had remarkable prayer communion times with the Lord. This message will stir your heart and confront you with the question, does the Lord want you to have a life of prevailing prayer?[/i]

Brother Jesse I am listening to this message by Ravenhill, its very good so far! praise God. Another brother recommended it to me as a MUST listen.

[b][url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4557]Choosing Rather to Suffer[/url][/b] by Leonard Ravenhill

2004/8/22 18:15Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
These are two quotes from Leonard Ravenhills sermon "Choosing rather to suffer" with my few thoughts on each one.

Here is another great quote from this sermon, man I want to quote it all! there is alot of great things said in this sermon, listen with a spiritual ear.

"I heard someone say yesterday: 'Find a Church where you are comfortable,' THAT WILL KILL YOU! dear God you are half dead now [i](thats abit of ravenhill humor I suppose)[/i], why go to a church where you are comfortable? GO to a church where you are uncomfortable! GO where they preach about hell, GO where they stir your consience, GO where you have to go back and do some repairs. DONT be lulled to sleep by some fancy choir or ..."
-Leonard Ravenhill (excerpt from: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4557]Choosing Rather to Suffer[/url])

2004/8/22 18:20Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"Do you know God?"
-Leonard Ravenhill (excerpt from: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4557]Choosing Rather to Suffer[/url])

2004/8/22 18:31Profile
riki

Sweden

Re:

I would really recommend people to listen to this message! It is very powerful and cuts deep into the heart.

Strangely enough, it seems to be one of Ravenhill's least downloaded messages... I guess that could have something to do with the title... :-/ Choosing rather to suffer. I remember Katz talking about suffering in one of his messages, saying: "Sorry for speaking the nasty word, I know we're not supposed to."

May God move us to that place in Him where we can say with Paul that we glory in tribulation. If we can say THAT honestly, it will surely no longer be we who live, but it will be Christ who lives in us.

2004/8/23 3:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy