SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
JesusLoves

What is prayer

At times simple things create a big question. Here is one. What is prayer. i pray, but suddenly i feel i know nothing about prayer.
Give me your thoughts on this question.

2009/5/6 23:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: What is prayer

Quote:
What is prayer

It is simply baring your heart to the LORD, being totally honest, admitting to Him what he is revealing to you about yourself and asking him what He wants you to do. He knows it all - no use in hiding anything. He wants our entire devotion, affection and so we tell him.

Read the Psalms. There is the record/journal of one man's journey/relationship with God.

My thoughts on this question..

ginnyrose

2009/5/7 9:09Profile

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Quote:
What is prayer

It is simply baring your heart to the LORD, being totally honest, admitting to Him what he is revealing to you about yourself and asking him what He wants you to do. He knows it all - no use in hiding anything. He wants our entire devotion, affection and so we tell him.

Read the Psalms. There is the record/journal of one man's journey/relationship with God.

My thoughts on this question..

ginnyrose

Beautiful. Amen.

2009/5/8 15:19
trxx

ON Canada

Greetings,
Luke 11:1-13 comes to mind, not simply because Jesus teaches the Lord's prayer therein but because the disciples felt the need to ask Him to teach them to pray. I heartily believe that one of the foremost prayers that God delights to answer is, "Lord, teach us (me) to pray." The fact that you feel that you know nothing is to me a good sign. You want to know. I suggest firstly that you take that desire to the Lord.

There are also many good books that may help.
Anything by E M Bounds, lots by Andrew Murray (one that might not be so obvious because it doesn't mention prayer in the title is "The State Of The Churches), How They Prayed (3 vol) and Kneeling We Triumph (2 vol) by Edwin & Lillian Harvey, Revival Praying and A Treasury Of Prayer by Leonard Ravenhill, The Path Of Prayer by Samuel Chadwick, How To Pray by R A Torrey, and biographical sketches of those that have prayed, How I Know God Answers Prayer by Rosalind Goforth, Rees Howells Intercessor by Norman Grubb, George Mueller by A T Pierson, or Praying Hyde by Captain E G Carre. Many of these classics can be found free online as they are beyond copyright.

You might even search this site for sermons on prayer as I know there are many good ones, especially My House Shall Be Called A House of Prayer by Jim Cymbala and Leonard Ravenhill's No Man Is Greater Than His Prayer Life to mention but two.

Its a great journey. You will NEVER pray too much but oh its so easy to pray too little. The Lord promises to draw close to those that will draw close to Him. God bless, Bruce

2009/5/8 21:03Profile
JesusLoves

Re:

Thankyou. Do you have some web links too on prayer.

2009/5/13 21:08Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

[i]Prayer is an offering up of our desires unto God, in the name of Christ, by the help of his Spirit; with confession of our sins, and thankful acknowledgement of his mercies.[/i] -- Westminster Larger Catechism

2009/5/13 21:30Profile
trxx

ON Canada

Re:

Re:

"Thankyou. Do you have some web links too on prayer."

Like all things there are good sites and those sites that I find it necessary to sift the contents thereof. All you really need to do is to google "prayer sites" or "prayer ministry" & you will come up with many.
Google the books & authors & they will take you to such sites as well. I often will add "pdf" to the search to find those that have a pdf file not just those sites that wish to sell the book. Then you could download as you like as all the sites that I am familiar with do not copyright their material.
Make sure to start out in your reading by downloading or purchasing The Kneeling Christian by Unknown Christian. You can download it & print it from
http://www.archive.org/details/TheKneelingChristian-ByAnUnknownChristian-BroughtByPeter-john

or

http://www.prayerforallpeople.com/free.shtml (scroll down to MORE ONLINE CLASSICS: (Take note that there is a second page of downloadable books - link at the bottom of first page)

I am actually rereading it as I found another copy at the thrift store the other day & have 2 weeks before I can meet the person that I intend to give it to. There are 12 chapters, great to read one every night before beginning a time of prayer. Most highly recommended!

Here are a couple of links to check out

http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Promises/Topical.Links.On.Prayer.html

http://www.harvestprayer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=4&Itemid=26

"Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."

God bless, Bruce

2009/5/14 13:20Profile
trxx

ON Canada

Re:

Here is another good one though you may or may not agree with all of the authors. There is certainly enough here to make it one of the better prayer material sites that I have found.

http://www.path2prayer.com/article.php?id=4

2009/5/14 15:52Profile
clintstone

tulsa,ok.

True prayer , that really gets to the heart [ motive ] of IT ALL [ all manner of prayers], is arriving at and staying in the place where the Love of God , is shed abroad in our motives [ hearts ] , by the Holy Ghost . When we come to a place of Love, agape , Gods love . then the transportation system in the Spiritual realm happens . First God sheds His love in our hearts [ motives ] by His Spirit then we in Whorship [ bowing down ] give this Agape love back to God . Now how i see this work in my life is i get a vision of this love a pray that this love be revealed in me and all others that i come in contact with to see God , this love now through this vision , which is Christs' Spirit being shed abroad by the Holy Ghost into my motive . As i pray and ASK GOD TO SHOW HIMSELF alive in me to anyone and whomever he chooses me to bless with Himself , then i go Give this love [ vision , motive , agape ] to whomever and however this Love and vision , or hearing dictates . doing this completes the transportation system in the Spirit , namely Gods love is shed in our hearts and then we give it back BY LOVING OTHERS , which this should really mean GIVING GOD HIMSELF TO OTHERS .. prayers, requests , from us , to God , should be about us seeing and hearing His will for us , and prayers for God should be about seeing and hearing for others . Prayer is about us being a habitation of God and the hearts cry that naturally comes from this . God bless you great question , I highly recommend 2 books on prayer ,, E. m. bounds and andrew murrays , actually both books are titled, " on prayer " and both are about 600 pages , they both are very rich and a wealth very rarely reached on the subject of praying and both very easy reading . God bless you with Himself as He so willingly wants to do .. Clint

2009/5/14 18:33Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

thanks for this, I've been wondering myself lately, tohugh more specifically: why pray for anything if God knows all that we need? One area where I've grown recently is making prayer about worship and adoration, instead of making requests, I find it a much more enriching and humbling experience.

2009/5/14 19:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy